1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I build a Strat or not?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Monoprice? I oversee a bunch of A/V installations & buy many, many cables from them, but never considered their amps & instruments. Hmm...

rangercaster likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:twisted:

That is a vintage can, probably first-run original, judging by the rust on top of it, the caked powder I found inside, and the depth of rubble I found it in. I'm hoping it dries hard; there are about 100 divots on my top-side template!

This body blank is cedar, and I'm making it for practice. I have a couple one-piece fir blanks that need a little more time drying. I planned a fir body in the first place. The cedar is pretty light, though, and has a nice ring when I knock on it. . . .

I feel the same as others here. I love my teles, perfectly happy with them, but I just want to see what it's like to have a strat. I'm going with a trem bar, same reasoning. That neck is 1 3/4" at the nutslot, roomy the way I like.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Blue Bill and telemnemonics like this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can you even hear your self?
    Why would you NOT want to build a Strat?
    Practical needs do not exist here on the TDPRI.

A Hardtail sounds Strat like a great excuse to dive in to something new.

I hope you do it.

4. David C

David C TDPRI Member

I say if you have it in your system to construct something, then do it. It isn't about practical solutions, it's about building something. Personally, I would rather build the amp, now that I have a couple under my belt. I don't know what sounds you are after, but there are lots of kits out there and if you have the skills, you don't need a kit. The fun is having a guitar or amp you built from scratch.

5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I love strats. If they are setup well the tuning stability is excellent. Not sure why guys have such issues.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I need a Strat..

I'm a Buddy Holly fan ...

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  8. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

I built one based on the Univox Ripper IMG_20200510_092540977~4.jpg IMG_20200510_092540977~2.jpg

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Necks and bodies are way too cheap for me to spend those hours gluing sawing and routing.
    But hardtail Strats really are useful tools and the one purpose built hardtail Strat I came up with ended up replacing my Tele/ Esquires for the #1 guitar I grab every day.
    If you want a lighter guitar, the Strat body is a huge advantage in terms of less lumber and a better balancing point due to strap button position.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Go ahead and build one, but wear goggles when you first start playing it, you don't want to shoot your eye out!

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I built a "Blackie"
    A 2nd. hand chain was selling two, both were had it. So, I offered the sales guy $120 for both as I could make a good one out of the parts. Did so at a total cost of $450. Now I make believe I'm Mark Knopfler.;)

12. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I sure love my first USA Strat...a '98 American Standard bedazzled in rhinestones.:) Besides the decorating the only real mod I did was add a neck pick up on switch so I can can that Tele sound and having all 3 pick ups on at once is a nice treat. The switch is right beside the 5-way selector for easy access.

I've also darkened the rosewood fretboard with a few coats of ebony wood stain. I then sealed the FB with raw linseed oil and now it feels and looks like ebonized rosewood.

[​IMG]

I also previously did a simple easy to do pick up mod. I fashioned out 3 rectangular strips from a sheet of automotive metal. They hold on magnetically onto the backside of the pick up but I used a few dabs of silicone to hold it in place more securely. The strips help direct the magnetic field of the pick up more upwards for more presence in it's sound just like on the bridge pick up of a Telecaster. My Strat has a secret hidden Tele agenda.:eek:

[​IMG]

13. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes they are comfortable .But I could not bond. Had mine for 35 years did not happen.

14. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

You could say that about a Squier Telecaster, too. Or almost any overseas built guitar.

The fun comes in building it yourself. The outcome is not always stellar, but it's yours!

P Thought likes this.
  15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We're just kidding around. Lots of folks here have or had Strats. By all means if he wants to build a Strat he should. My first Fender was a Strat. I enjoyed it way more than my SG. Then i discovered Teles. I just didn't play the Strat any more so i sold it. I now have an Ibanez S-type offset that fits me better than the Strat. Just play what works for you.

JuneauMike and jimgchord like this.
  16. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Building guitars is a lot of fun.

Locking down the trem is pretty common for Strats. Five springs and expand it all the way till it locks.

Also, I have built a few guitars I didnt like. I just broke them apart and sold the neck and body separately. Got most of my money back.

17. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I have scoured the internet in search of a cheap tele with a vintage bridge. To get a Squire with a vintage bridge, you have to get the Classic Vibe. And used Squire Teles don't routinely sell for under $100 like strats do.

If you start with a used Strat SE or Starcaster, you are getting a full width body and a decent neck for a lot less than you can buy the unfinished parts for. Even if you didn't use any of the other parts, you would still be way ahead of the game.

I have yet to find a suitable cheap donor for a Tele build.

18. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Hard tail or trem, Strats are comfy and IMHO the sexiest guitar in the world ! I say build one.

IMG_3446.jpg IMG_8946.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  19. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

While I love my Tele's, my main guitar has always been a MIJ '54 RI strat. I recently built another from Warmoth - Hardtail, SSH roasted swamp ash body, roast maple neck.

Don't regret it at all, there is something super comfortable about a good Strat, always feels like 'coming home'.

20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's how I felt the first time I played my 335. On a side note, I ultimately prefer to use Warmoth bodies. Their proximity to me in the Pacific NW simplifies finishing since the wood is already acclimated to our damp climate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.