Should A Home Studio Stick To Windows Or Mac?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Toast, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Or is Ubuntu a realistic option? I'm seriously considering Ubuntu, but I worry that home recording will be a hassle in that OS. Is there a consensus on whether it's better to stick to Windows or Mac or Ubuntu or it doesn't make a difference? Are the hardware/software options available to Ubuntu plentiful enough?

Edit: I should make it clear that I'm pretty certain I won't be going the Mac route (been on Windows from the start). I'm not against using primarily Mac based software though, if that's possible. I should have thought of that before I posted.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

Logic is pretty amazing and I think it only works on Mac. The amount of stuff you get for $200 is crazy.

SacDAve, TokyoPortrait and Toast like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

a home studio should invite and encourage the artist to create.

choose your palette.

4. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Honestly, both will get the job done. I prefer Windows (not that I am any kind of professional.) I am just used to windows, I game, and plan on streaming, and I can meet all my needs on one computer.

However, if the environment you are used to and like is on Mac, or Ubuntu, go with that. All have really great and powerful software. Just make sure you have good hardware!

Toast likes this.
  5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

I mean, you want an OS that caters to the software on the market, and that really is not going to be Ubuntu.
    And I use Debian for my desktop.

That being said, Windows or Mac is going to work for you. Stick with whatever you got now?

Toast likes this.
  6. chillybilly

chillybilly TDPRI Member

Almost exclusively a Windows user personally and professionally but Mac is far and away a better production platform. No driver headaches/updates (or very few), smooth graphics, smooth response, not as resource-hungry.

In my experience plugin packages are Mac or Windows. Is Linux an option in that context?

farmcaster and Toast like this.
  7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes. Or no.

Toast likes this.
  8. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I would say you kind of have to "look inward" for this one... :). Before I got a job in IT (thus, ruining my hobby) and had 5 kids (thus, consuming all my spare time) I loved to tinker with technology. In those days, I assembled my own PCs and ran whatever flavor of Linux was interesting that particular 10 seconds. I enjoyed researching hardware, finding drivers, installing, tweaking, rebooting, optimizing, and so on and I had the time to do it. The journey was as much a part of the process as the finished product (if anything ever got finished!). These days, time is my most precious commodity and the Mac just works, always, the very first time so I can get to the outcome I need without any detours. It's more expensive, less tweak-able, less extensible/upgradeable, but it just works.

farmcaster and Toast like this.
  9. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I've been running Windows on my recording computers for around 12 years and wouldn't have it any other way. I looked at Linux a few years ago and there were just too many limitations. Never used a Mac (I know a lot of people do though).

So I guess it depends on how far you want to get into recording. All three platforms will work, fiqure out your requirements, then pick the suitable platform for your needs.

Toast likes this.
  10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to have to do. My problem is that I hate Windows and Mac equally :). I don't like being surveilled. I might just have to buy a PC and dedicate it to music only or partition my drive or something like that.

Switchy likes this.
  11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Linux Mint (Cinnamon).

I hate MS Windows. I love Linux - for so many practical reasons.

If you must, you can run MS Windows apps in Linux by downloading and installing Wine and Playonlinux.

IMHO, however, once you try Linux, you'll forget all about MS Windows! ;)

Toast likes this.
  12. Biffasmum

Biffasmum TDPRI Member

Choose your preferred application software and the OS will follow. I use Logic (MAC only) and ProTools (MAC and Windows). MAC hardware has the advantage of being able to run Bootcamp Windows or other Windows emulation. Linux has the advantage of cheap/free OS and improved performance, but you’ll find scant selection of studio software that many musos seriously use.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Or maybe.

Toast likes this.
  14. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Windows, or Apple, or Linux.
    But just one.

Toast likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure you have an older pc that is too slow on Windows, will run version 7 but not 10, or is too virus infested to run reliably, and thus installing UbuntuStudio is a perfect choice.
    You can wipe it clean and have a fresh install running in forty-five minutes. If you don't have one, then find a $50 beater on CL.

Then you have a dedicated studio machine. It will have the latest virus security protections on it and they continue to publish updates as necessary. If you're running on an old Windows machine they are discontinuing all support for one of them in January (probably versions 7 and 8). Mac I don't touch... I saw they are changing the phone connector again so all the attachments people have acquired won't fit the new phone ... again. Apple did that as far back as the 80s.

Toast likes this.
  16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have been tantalized by Linux for audio work on and off for years. Right now I'm back at "on", but part of it is that I seem to need some long term time suck to keep my mind busy.

You can get one of the more modern all in one DAW apps like Reaper, Ardour, or Bitwig. AFAIK they all run on all 3 OSes. My attraction to Linux is also the ability to get source code and mess with things at that level. Like right now I'm thinking about combining SooperLooper with Hydrogen (drum machine) to have an integrated looper/drum machine which really helps me come up with riff ideas on the guitar. Once I get an idea then I transfer it to Live which I'm running on Windows.

I just built a new Windows PC which cost about $700, but my old one was 12 years old and started having some issues running Ableton Live. I also took my old Macbook Pro which had 10.12 on it and installed Ubuntu Studio 19.10 on it. Seems to work OK but not perfectly (occasional "xruns" and audio glitching). By comparison I never get audio glitches with my Windows system. I have used SONAR DAW for many years and for my modest projects always worked well, even on my 12 year old system with 4 GB RAM.

Back in Linux land, unless you get an integrated app like a DAW, then you'll be dinking with all the free Linux apps out there and hooking them together with QJackCtl or Carla and then doing it again and again, trying to find a Jack connection manager that really works, etc. which is why I'm trying to come up with something simple for my own creative workflow on that rather than attempt to overly embrace the complexity.

Some of the Linux apps/plugins work well and some don't. Some are in active development and many aren't. The idea that the "community" is always fixing bugs and adding features is true for a very small set of packages. I think Linux would be frustrating for the person not interested in messing with the system itself over and over again.

Mac vs. Windows? I use both (mostly for work) and don't have any specific preference there. I think that macOS especially with Catalina, is by far the most annoying with respect to OS upgrades and breaking things.

I've had good luck with Windows. Yes you should add virus protection as part of the cost. Especially over on the Linux Musicians forum, there is a lot of Windows bashing ("nag screens", "bloatware") by people who apparently never use it.

Toast likes this.
  17. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Years ago I would have said Mac without hesitation. These days, I think it's more important to work in an environment where you know how to work and have a workflow where the tech doesn't interfere with the music making. ...My two cents.

Skub and Toast like this.
  18. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Whichever you choose, be sure to run a system with a SSD and not a HDD. I've been using windows for decades but am switching over to MAC to see how I like it. It will be a learning curve but I struggle with latency in Windows.

Toast likes this.
  19. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

This is my suggestion also.

It's probably the simplest Linux version to use, and there are lots of good-quality, free audio/studio recoding, photo, video, etc. software, and it doesn't really have any of the driver problems that used to make Linux a hassle.

Toast and FenderGuy53 like this.
  20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I absolutely agree, reckless toboggan! :)

The Cinnamon flavor of Linux Mint is arguably the closest "look and feel" a recent convert can get, coming from MS Windows.

There's plenty of productivity software available, and it's getting better all the time. Plus, there are several user forums available, with lots of willing users ready to assist.

I LOVE Linux Mint! :)

Toast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.