Shortscale (tenor) strat (Squier strat mod)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by kaludjerko, Jul 18, 2019.

1. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Idea started while playing with capo on the 2nd fret and realizing how everything is easily reachable and how I can play wide stretches that would be otherwise imposible, for me of course.

Somehow about the same time, I realized that thick necks are what I prefer to play. So there are two goals that I wanted to achieve

1. short neck, scale length 23 inches or less
    2. fat neck, 23-25mm thickness along the profile

Now, there are small neck guitars, Squier mini and Ibanez micro, but people report that they have thin necks too (makes sense, those are made with kids hands in mind).

While there are conversion necks available, e.g. from Warmoth, still change of the scale is not too significant. I wanted to go further, so custom neck was a way to go.
    Here is innitial idea, what is we can "chop off" 1st two frets of normal neck, than I would be in bussines... Short-Scale-01.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Neck-Done.jpg fast forward, got to know friend of a friend that made quite a few guitars and repair work (also moded Yamaha Tele in my avatar). He got curious about the idea and we decided to give it a go.
    We decided on single piece maple neck, small stainless frets, his signature head shape, 5+1 tuners per side, nitro finish wood stained with amber tint.
    This is in finished state, after preliminary installation for testing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Very cool! How does it sound? Play?

I have a Silvertone 1448 that my dad bought in 1963. It has something like a 21" scale neck. I LOVE playing it. Everything is so easy to reach and the strings have a much lower tension. I have it strung with fat strings and tuned down to D. HUGE sounds. The bass strings can be a little muddy - not much spank or "thwack". But picking closer to the bridge usually gets enough of that for me.

Skydog1010 and kaludjerko like this.
  4. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

thanks!
    It plays fantastic. It became my main one now.
    Sound is good too. It became a bit more mellow, if that makes sense. Strung it with 11s and now i have similar if not a bit looser feel as with my other strat with 9s. String height setup was also a big thing. Oleg is very good at it.
    One thing that I definitely noticed is that the new neck is very stiff (being short and fat). Compared to this one, my other squier-strat neck bends like its made of rubber. If i do not imagine it, this stiff neck makes guitar more resonant.
    Yet another thing is neck shape. I wanted chunkier neck profile, that does NOT taper from nut to bridge. Shape of the neck is cross between C and D, with a bit wider shoulders.

5. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

oboss_03.jpg Ok, back to the story... Here is finished guitar (photo is courtesy of Oleg).
    Nothing super-wierd looking here, just that the proportions are a bit off if you look closely.

ukepicker and psychobilly451 like this.
  6. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

finally, comparison with 2nd strat that has standard scale neck (sorry for the blury image).
    Both bodies are same size (any difference is due to the angle at which photo was taken), sunburst strat started as afinity strat and blue one is old Korean squier from 90s, moded to death. :)
    Blue one has very thin neck, which is what i was told was a good quality to look in a guitar way back than. Its neck is like a straw in a wind compared to sunburst-maple Shorty. Compar_02.jpg

RodeoTex, ukepicker and Skydog1010 like this.
  7. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Now that i have read your post more carefully, 21" is short. Would love to try that. :)
    How's the neck shape?
    This model is the one that came with amp in a guitar case, right? Do you have that one, does it sound good?

ukepicker likes this.
  8. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Dang kid, making me feel old. Lol, play on!

ukepicker likes this.
  9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Saw a guy leave guitar center with two of those mini Strats yesterday, started to say something but never bothered.

10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have a tenor acoustic guitar and like it a lot. Fun to play. Since they are tuned CGDA (nice in that it makes for different chord inversions than guitar) and you seem to have a fifth string I'm wondering what note that extra string is tuned to.

11. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

It's a very simple "C" shaped neck. Not thick, not thin. Not exactly high-quality, either. But something about the poplar-skeleton-and-masonite body, that short neck with aluminum nut, and the cheap lipstick pickup - it sounds killer. Beautiful tones that I can't find anywhere else - I've looked. It' probably weighs 4 pounds (maybe less).

The amp-in-case works, too. All original. But it's dangerous without a proper ground, so I don't play it very often.

kaludjerko likes this.
  12. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Maybe my post title was a bit misleading. This neck is made to be 2 frets shorter than standard Stratocaster neck (from 25.5" -> 22.75"). Guitar still has 6 strings like a regular one (headstock has 5+1 tuners, which is design by Oleg - Oboss Guitars). I have it in standard E tuning, so for now it is "just" a short scale neck.
    To be fair my level of playing is not that advanced that I can grasp alternate tunings well and particularly not to use them with ease.

howardlo likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

That's cool. It's basically a Duo-Sonic scale guitar in Strat form. Original Duo-Sonics were just like you said: nut located just about the same distance from the bridge where the second fret would normally be on a full-scale guitar.

The only way outside of a custom build to have got that neck would have been buying a loose '50s Duo-Sonic V neck. I.e. expensive and probably in need of work.

Duo-Sonic IIs were also available with that scale, but most had Jaguar/Mustang/Musicmaster scale (24" – about one fret's worth longer).

kaludjerko likes this.
  14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I can do that...

20190212_160031.jpg

kaludjerko likes this.
  15. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

beagle likes this.
  16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

A friend has the Rickenbacker John Lennon signature, which I think has a 22" scale. It is nice to hold, but I could never get on with playing it, though my baritone uke and solid bodied uke bass both have a similar scale and give me no problems.

upload_2019-7-19_9-55-54.jpeg

Like your blue Strat, my No.1 Strat does have Alumitones though.

17. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Exactly as you say.
    In that sense, I wonder if in general there is a market for those. This is not only limited to smaller players with smaller hands. My friend that is 1.95 m tall (6 foot 6 inches) loved the feel of shorty strat. He's not much into technicalities and just noticed: "it is very nice and i can reach everything much better than on my guitar" and wondered where he can get one, before i explained him the whole project...

18. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

How do you like them?

I was intrigued by concept of John Lennon Rickenbacker, can you comment on hat you remember was the neck thickness?
    Just checked the specs, acctually scale is even shorter 533m -> 21".
    For me, this would be ~20x higher investment into something that I could not try before buy.
    With Oleg I had a luxury to be pampered and spoiled big time. Was being treated like a rock star :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've come across a couple of these Squier 3/4-Tenor scale Strats at pawnshops in the last couple of days. Was temped to get one, but I didn't give in.

20. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

I could imagine that you didn't.
    It is all about neck. Minis have narrower and I would also assume, thiner necks.
    This in addition to shorter scale makes them too different to physically grown ups. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.