1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Short? Weak Signal Problem??

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bender72, Jul 16, 2007.

1. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Here's the deal;

I've got a Seymour Duncan 5-2 Bridge pup in my MIA Nash B-Bender. Lately I've been losing the strength of the signal every now and then. I had a tech look at it, he rewired the pup and said maybe I had a bad solder joint. It worked fine for about a week, now I'm getting the same thing.

When it happens, the signal is coming through but is much weaker than my other pup settings. You can hear the guitar but it is like the volume is on 1-2 instead of 10. I smacked the guitar and the signal came back, so I don't know what the problem could be. Short? Can the bridge be shorting? or can the Pup be going bad?? :confused: :confused:

2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

You may have a dirty or worn selector switch. Have you tried wiggling the switch back and forth to see if you get your signal back or when the pu is working properly wiggle the switch to see if you can get the pu to not sound full.

Right now my LP has a dirty/worn switch and it does exactly as you've described. When I wiggle the switch it comes back to life.

It's an easy fix if that's what it is.

3. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

So could I use a contact cleaner on the switch, you think that would do the trick??

4. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Well, same problem. I tried the contact cleaner, it worked for a bit, now its back to not working. Any other suggestions??

5. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Had a tech look at it and he rewired the pup, said I might have had a cold solder joint.

Over the weekend, it went out on me again! I'm wondering if the pup can go out or can it short out somewhere??

The signal is weak and you can hear it coming through but is about %10 of what it can be, all other pups are working fine.

Could the bridge be shorting out?

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

OK, first things first.

Does this problem occur with every amp/cable you use?

Have you tried differnet guitar cables?

Different effects?

I have a problem on my pedal board sometimes when either the power connector to my Tube Screamer gets dirty, or the jumper cables between the pedals. I just move them around a bit and the problem goes away.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.