1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Short Scale Tele! Could it be The Answer?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BluesHound, Jan 15, 2020.

1. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

I have a problem with my hands, which seems to be getting worse with age. I’m ok playing lead, but chords are becoming increasingly difficult, especially anything requiring a bit of a stretch. I find my Gibson’s a bit easier due to the shorter scale length and decreased string tension. I haven’t tried a 24” scale Fender though and I was wondering if anyone with experience could tell me what the difference is like? I was thinking about getting a Squier Mustang to try and maybe fitting some Tele pickups. Would the lower string tension decrease the amount of ‘twang’? Anyone tried anything like this, or maybe done a short scale Tele build? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

crazydave911 and chauncy like this.
  2. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Put a capo at the first fret. Retune. Now you have approximately a 24” scale.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Another idea, would be little groups of 2-3 strings, to approximate a whole chord.

Something about short scale, IMO sucks all the life out of Fender style guitars - especially Esquires and Teles.

BluesHound likes this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm encountering similar difficulties and pains the last few months.
    Someone posted this as a joke recently
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

BrewerDoer, Kebmel, LPTyler and 13 others like this.
  5. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I love my Jaguar so I am biased but 24” is no big deal and the pickups sound great.

I also tune down a whole step on some of my Teles. Great tone.

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

<<-- My main guitar there is 24" I love it. It's got a Squier Jagmaster II neck on it. It has a regular fender scale sister now that I've just finished putting together with a strat neck but I prefer the shorter scale. I think it's just what you get used to, I get a bit lost on the 25 1/2 sometimes because my hand naturally goes to the wrong place if you know what I mean. I guess the opposite would be true going the other way too. I don't really play 'twang' so I can't comment on that.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. speranza

speranza TDPRI Member

I believe some of Bill Frisell's Teles are 24.75" scale, and it works for him. Warmoth makes Tele necks in that scale that should drop in to a standard Tele body.

crazydave911, gwjensen and BluesHound like this.
  8. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

Interesting, when you put the shortie neck on, did you have to move the bridge?

9. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I have the same problem as the OP. I tried the 24.75" scale and there was really no noticeable difference. It is tough getting old...my experience!

BluesHound likes this.
  10. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Brian May's Red Special is 24'' scale and he has no problems tonewise. (Ok, I know he uses a treble booster).

It's not clear from the OP that he owns or doesn't already own a Tele, but if he does, then a toploader bridge may be the answer; the slightly shorter string length (by not having to turn at 90 degrees and go through the body) could help.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  11. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

With 24.75 is from Woman :D

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've taken to playing Byrdland copies much of the time: 23-1/2″
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love em

13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

no, the neck is a conversion neck, the jagmaster has a few models from what I understand... the original jaguar 24" scale ones, then there was a Chinese made strat scale version, then there was the Jagmaster II which used the same body as the previous one but with a conversion neck.

It's not a perfect match to a fender neck pocket and I had to modify it a little but thankfully there's a video on youtube of a guy who did the same thing to make a short scale strat.

BluesHound likes this.
  14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

@BluesHound

This is the video that gave me the idea, it's nothing special but it gave me the idea of doing it to a tele/cabronita

crazydave911 and Crobbins like this.
  15. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

to cut a long story short you have to cut 1/4 of an inch off the heel, which works out ok because then you have a little fretboard overhang to cover up anything that doesn't look perfect. ;)

crazydave911 and BluesHound like this.
  16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Add me to the list of old men with arthritis in their hands. For me, the pain doesn't come from the scale length, but from the thickness of the neck profile. It's so much less painful to wrap my hands around a thin neck than a thick one these days. I had to buy two seriously skinny profile Musikraft necks for my Teles just so I can play them without pain. But the least painful guitar I have is my Squier Mini Strat. The neck is like a toy. If Squier made a nice Mini Tele, I would buy it.

jman72 and BluesHound like this.
  17. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

I can tell you that both of my telecaster builds with Warnoth body and necks are short scale Gibson scale and I absolutely love them.
    In fact every guitar and bass I own now is short scale, and my hand tiredness and soreness disappeared.

crazydave911, BluesHound and speranza like this.
  18. raderiohead

raderiohead TDPRI Member

Fender Tele-sonic
    DeArmond pickups are glorious!
    upload_2020-1-16_8-36-35.jpeg
    Teles of the past:
    Fender American Standard
    Fender HotRod 52
    Fender American Cabronita
    Fender GE Smith
    THIS IS THE ONE

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  19. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Gibson Scale with 7's on it - dream to play. I'm older, no callouses. Easiest to play ever

[​IMG]

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have tried 4 conversion necks. They are only minimally shorter for one thing. I just dislike the sound of low strings on a non 25.5 neck.
    Have you tried lighter strings? I still use 10-46 at age 72, but I replace the G string with an .015 to make bending easier. Sometimes the B string too. Gotta have the .010 on teh E though. I have noticed that larger low strings on my archtops make me tired and ache fast.... even though I dont stretch the E A D strings, they make your hands hurt just from fretting big strings like acoustic strings.
    Comparables:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.