Short Scale Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Ess Eff, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I've been thinking of getting a bass and in my research I came across the Sterling MM short scale bass.
    https://intl.sterlingbymusicman.com/collections/basses-1/products/stingray-short-scale

I like the MM style because they are small n compact (body n headstock), then I noticed they also did a short scale (30" vs 34" std) . Even better cause I got small hands.

I presumed sht scale were rubbish cause no one plays them, but checking out reviews, ppl are raving about these MM ones.

Any advice/opinions/warnings from experienced bass players, regarding short scale?
    Guitar.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Cant say for the MM but I love my Jag shorty bass
    [​IMG]

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My Mustang has the same pickup setup as BT's Jag (looks like he's got a blend vs toggle though)... we bought it for the wife, but she decided to refocus on guitar, so it's functionally mine and I'm pretty crazy about it. It lives in the P-bass pickups though, I rarely use the J end. If MM does a Stingray with the P/J setup that'd be my only rec.

Short scale is nice for those of us who primarily play guitar I guess, but since it's (almost always) a non-chording instrument, it's not that big a deal in terms of playability. Just nice not to have to adjust so much.

[​IMG]

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That's correct- I love that blend deal

buster poser likes this.
  5. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

SF, I think your MM choice is a fine one. You want a Jazz bass type neck (1.5" nut), which it has. Short scale basses do best with the right strings, so their choice can make a big difference. Perhaps the Ernie Ball Slinkys that come with this bass are just right...

Good luck!

Maguchi and Ess Eff like this.
  6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love my shorty.

Maguchi likes this.
  7. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Short scale works fine for me. IME there are a few differences in playing technique to consider - mainly more control of what you do (hardness of picking/plucking and fretting - to have a good tone. But there is no abSolute right or wrong but there are habits and awareness. I have played both 30in and 34in and personally like both.

gb63, Ess Eff and Old Plank like this.
  8. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I’m primarily a guitar player, but have great fun plaiting bass. Short scale IS comfortable for me, and I’m not so serious about it that I notice anything tone/sound-wise that I’m missing by not playing a ‘regular scale’ electric bass.

I had a MIM Mustang PJ like buster’s, should not have sold it. Now have a MIJ Mustang bass, love it.

C31799F9-0552-428C-842C-1DEAE9188BB7.jpeg

9. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Shorty Jags swing way above their weight/price. Strings are important...got Low-Tension flats on mine.

10. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

I tend to agree. Even considering that they are known for being quite heavy.

blowtorch likes this.
  11. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Am I missing something? Aren't Hofner basses short scale? I'm pretty sure "no one playing them" is not quite the whole truth. I would imagine 34"er are more common but I think quite a few good recordings over time have used a short scale bass.

I say whatever works for you.

My only comment about that particular bass is that cuz of where the pup is located, it has some distinct sounds. And you may or may not like that. But that pup has some options that are good.

I prefer bass pups further up towards the neck. But that's just me.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have both 34" scale (P-Bass) and 30" (Hofner Club Bass)......The short scale is a lot less "work", and renders a totally different sound. I also use flatwounds, and a foam mute between bridge and bridge pickup. It just depends on what you want a bass to sound like....and I like the Hofner.
    BTW....the Club Bass is essentially the same as a Hofner Violin Bass, just a "less wimpy" body style. ;)
    upload_2021-4-30_11-32-36.jpeg

hemingway, FortyEight, Flip G and 2 others like this.
  13. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

It's different from playing a longer scale instrument as expected, but I have played gigs and recorded with both. Short scales are easier to play and you don't get as many harmonics (not sure if that is the correct term) so it's a more plummy and mellow sound in general compared to the same bass with same strings but longer scale. That can work very well in a song with a busy mix.

I really like them and there are quite a few pro players who use short scale basses. I'd be happy if my Mustang was the only bass I had.

IMG_20191023_224033.jpg

Maguchi, hemingway, Martian and 5 others like this.
  14. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

my first bass was a yamaha motion b. amazing bass. 32" scale. I recently built a 32" p bass and love it - I can manhandle that thing in comparison to my 34/35s. i believe all the alembics are 32. lots of high end basses that are 32. it def has a dif sound... more punchy but not as deep. less claypool sure made one sound good! I think the mm should be a fine instrument. personally I wouldn't go 30 because it is quite a drastic difference... and 32 is so easy to play... but ymmv.

Laxy picker likes this.
  15. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Shorties are fun. Don't sell yourself short on adapting to a full scale bass, though. I have small hands and switch between a full scale 34" P Bass and electric guitar regularly. It just takes some getting used to. It's kind of fun having to dart my hand around more - it's part of the vibe! And as noted above, being a non-chording instrument means the fret stretches aren't much of an impediment to your playing. After a week playing only full scale bass and you'll feel comfortable switching between bass and guitar. The first couple days might be tough but you'll adapt. As a bonus, you can play any bass out there.

I love my Squier Bronco shortie and recommend it regularly for a casual bass.

16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I own a P bass and an EB-0. The EB-0 gets the most play as I find it more fun for just plonking about on. There are some superb modern shorties now for not a lot of money. The one OP shows looks lovely. Playing an Ibanez Mikro in store impressed me so much that if I ever get bass-GAS again, a Mikro will be mine.
    There seems to be a lot of love for shorties on here. Whatever ensures the owner plays and enjoys their bass means it is the right choice. 30", 32" or 34" matters little if the fun quotient isn't met. Like Telecasters, 5W amps and fuzz pedals, bass numbers grow over time to fit the space available.

17. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Both Paul McCartney and Bill Wyman played short scale basses... but what do they know?

18. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Went to see Jenny Lewis a couple years ago, and her bassist Solomon Dorsey alternated between a Mustang and Hofner Club, both sounded great!

IMG_1357.jpg

19. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Two of the most successful rock bands of all time had bassists that played short scale instruments.
    McCartney and Wyman

20. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I also move easily between both scales, and there are a few things I do almost subconsciously between them, but I don’t think much about that anymore.

I do concur string choices are pretty sparse for short scale, but luckily, it’s a bass, so once you get a set you like, they’ll probably last for years.

Maguchi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.