Short scale bass for playing with pick

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by PRW94, May 26, 2018.

1. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I forgot to mention that the Mexican Mustang PJ does not come with any case, which I thought was kinda lame. The gig bag they make for it would have been fine. I still love the bass though.

On the flipside the Gibson SG bass I bought new a few years ago came with a great hardshell case, but the bass itself was kinda lame.

2. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Forget the rules.

I came over from guitar to 34” bass, with a pick, and had no trouble. In fact, when I bought a PJ (the MIMs are excellent), the short scale seemed cramped.

The only weird part is going from bass back to guitar; the guitar feels toylike at first.

I got a screaming deal on a Squier Precision Special to start, but went to a MIM Jazz within days. The Jazz neck is far more comfortable for me; play before you buy. Now I’ve got a MIJ Jazz and a JP90, and I love them all.

3. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

I would go with one of the Ibanez's, I have 2 and I play mostly with a pick. I also have a Hofner Beatle Bass, not too versatile but sounds great for early Beatles, folk & jazz.

4. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

The OP already bought his bass and posted about it back at post #45. He repeated it at post #49. It's now over a month later and you guys are still giving him recommendations. smh.

5. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Yup. That's why he put those funky "tug bar" finger rests on the early ones...

6. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

:D

In the pics and the few videos I've seen from the early to mid 50s, bassists were either playing with the thumb or with a thumbpick. The finger rest was useful, whether Leo intended it that way or not.

What Leo really intended was to sell as many instruments as he could to working musicians. :)

7. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Having been a guitarist for some 62 years I always play bass with a pick – it's what feels most natural and comfortable to me. I do very few bass gigs these days and I've been using my full-scale Ibanez Blazer BL700-NT bass (basically a slab-bodied Precision clone) for many years.

But, fancying a short-scale instrument, I did a bit of research (including this thread) and I've just got myself an Ibanez Talman TMB30 in black. It's remarkably well-built for the very modest price. I gigged it last night for the first time and I'm absolutely delighted. It plays very well, sounds excellent with plenty of tonal variation, is of moderate weight and was great to play on a stage with restricted space. And as a bonus it fits in a spare guitar gig bag I happened to possess. I love it.

Digital Larry likes this.
  8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Plus it makes you look about 8 feet tall!

Tony474 and jhundt like this.
  9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been doing some jamming and recording with my Talman TMB30 which I purchased a couple months ago. I found that I really need to dial down the tone control esp. when recording or else it winds up with a bunch of "clicking" in the track. I also managed to deal with some tracks that were recorded wide open by aggressively EQ'ing the top end and adding a bit of compression.

10. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Hey, Jon, cute or what? If you can make it to London for the TDPRI jam in October, perhaps you could bring your mini-Precision with you. I don't know yet whether Angelo's organised a bass-player anyway, but you'd be welcome to use one of my Teles one way or the other.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.