Short scale bass for playing with pick

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by PRW94, May 26, 2018.

1. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

After reading some of the plectrum versus fingers comments I couldn't help but wonder if any bassists use a hybrid pick/fingers technique. Does anyone know of any player that does use it?

2. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Of the ones listed ... Jag SS everytime.

Believer and twotone60 like this.
  3. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Somebody mentioned Squier Mustang. I don't know if these are still available, but as an owner of an older model CIJ Mustang Bass, when I played the Squier Mustang, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very good low cost SS bass.

And I only have one more word: FLATWOUNDS.
    Those basses were designed and built for them.

bgmacaw likes this.
  4. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

"And I only have one more word: FLATWOUNDS."

+1

Digital Larry, bgmacaw and Ben-Zion like this.
  5. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I bought an Ibanez Mikro several years ago after an injury severely cut back on my dexterity to the point that playing my full scale bass (Hartke) was not possible. The 3/4 scale Mikro got me back in the game. It doesn't quite get that deep, bottom end you get out of a full scale. Nevertheless, the Mikro has very respectable tone qualities. I liked it so much that I bought myself a second.

screefer likes this.
  6. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’d check out the SR500 too, I played one for a while. Very thin/playable neck, not short scale, but manageable. It makes for a comfortable transition from guitar to bass.

7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Playing a bass with a pick makes my hand cramp something serious.

8. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I gig with a long scale Ibanez (active pickups), a short scale Gretsch Electromatic G2220 and a Hofner Ignition violin bass. I'm in a British invasion band on some gigs and I wanted to play the Hofner all the time but the one I have keeps crapping out. First the jack went sour, then it developed a ground hum that took forever to track down (the Hofner wiring harness is weird) and finally it developed a string buzz and a warped neck with a stripped truss rod.

None of these cost more than $300 used. The Ibanez and G2220 are well-made and reliable. The Hofner was a lemon. Maybe you'd get a better one? I end up playing the Gretsch most of the time. It does have a wider neck but is still easy to play. It can thump just like the Hofner or sound punchier if you want it too. (Humbucker pickups on it.) I haven't played any of the Squiers but their quality has gotten much better and that may be an answer for you.

I find I can get different sounds out of a bass without touching a knob. Play down near the bridge for sharper or near the neck for softer. Use two fingers for punchy, thumb and forefinger for early 60s thump. (It helps I have a Line 6 modeling bass amp.)

If you want to use a pick, buy some felt picks on eBay. They have a softer attack.

Flat wound strings or, better yet, tape wounds. Only way to go for a short scale. Helps avoid that low E string buzz.

Good luck.

Emster and screefer like this.
  9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Every Gretsch Junior Jet I've picked up seems heavy. Of course my Dano is a feather!

craigh9 likes this.
  10. PumpJockey

Weight is relative. My 2220 *seems* heavy but that's compared to my Hofner. I have to agree the 2220 is a great instrument, especially at that price point.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

She ONLY plays with a pic.

She is an.....ok bass player :D

https://www.carolkaye.com/

Any bassist worth its salt should be able to use BOTH ,there are types of music and SOUNDS that can only be achieved with a pick so a versatile bass player should definitely know how to use one.

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Epiphone EB3 short scale bass?

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

my two cents

I needed a bass to cut tracks with. I settled on a super cheap SX 3/4 scale jazz bass clone. It showed up in a box without a case. I took it out of the box, tuned it up and cut a track with it immediately. It cost me less than 150 bucks.

Later I even did a couple of fill in gigs with it. Bass players in the audience sneered, I'm sure, I couldnt have cared less... I was working and got paid and they did not. The rest of the audience had no idea it wasnt a top-shelf instrument.

For picking, I use a big thick felt pick. Try one. It plays like a pick after you get used to it, and it sounds a LOT better to me than a standard guitar pick.

Believer likes this.
  14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I just compared the Ibanez Mikro to the Talman TMB30. TMB30 made it home. D'Addario Chrome flatwounds and... fingers or smooth heavy pick, I like it. Played more bass than I had in quite some time. I also have a 34" OLP which is nothing special.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Tony474 and ndeli55 like this.
  15. PumpJockey

I have owned one and played two more. Poorly made instruments IMHO.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I had a Gibson one (with violin style tuners) in the late 70s. That was lovely (albeit with a "woolly" sounding neck pickup). Still, if it was good enough for Jack Bruce....

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I'd take the TMB30 over the Jag SS. Better balance and thumpy pickups that I don't think need to be changed. The common consensus is the Jag SS pickups are weak, and most end up changing them. They are the same price, and I think Ibanez wins it.

Tony474 likes this.
  18. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Here’s mine: Mustang PJ File Feb 28, 7 27 23 PM.jpeg

Bassman8 likes this.
  19. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

How do you like it and what style of music do you play?

20. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

I was gonna go short scale but snagged this ESP-LTD bass for $200
    PJ style
    sounds great!
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.