Short scale bass for playing with pick

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by PRW94, May 26, 2018.

1. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

After reading some of the plectrum versus fingers comments I couldn't help but wonder if any bassists use a hybrid pick/fingers technique. Does anyone know of any player that does use it?

2. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Of the ones listed ... Jag SS everytime.

Believer and twotone60 like this.
  3. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Somebody mentioned Squier Mustang. I don't know if these are still available, but as an owner of an older model CIJ Mustang Bass, when I played the Squier Mustang, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very good low cost SS bass.

And I only have one more word: FLATWOUNDS.
    Those basses were designed and built for them.

bgmacaw likes this.
  4. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

"And I only have one more word: FLATWOUNDS."

+1

Digital Larry, bgmacaw and Ben-Zion like this.
  5. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I bought an Ibanez Mikro several years ago after an injury severely cut back on my dexterity to the point that playing my full scale bass (Hartke) was not possible. The 3/4 scale Mikro got me back in the game. It doesn't quite get that deep, bottom end you get out of a full scale. Nevertheless, the Mikro has very respectable tone qualities. I liked it so much that I bought myself a second.

screefer likes this.
  6. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’d check out the SR500 too, I played one for a while. Very thin/playable neck, not short scale, but manageable. It makes for a comfortable transition from guitar to bass.

7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Playing a bass with a pick makes my hand cramp something serious.

8. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I gig with a long scale Ibanez (active pickups), a short scale Gretsch Electromatic G2220 and a Hofner Ignition violin bass. I'm in a British invasion band on some gigs and I wanted to play the Hofner all the time but the one I have keeps crapping out. First the jack went sour, then it developed a ground hum that took forever to track down (the Hofner wiring harness is weird) and finally it developed a string buzz and a warped neck with a stripped truss rod.

None of these cost more than $300 used. The Ibanez and G2220 are well-made and reliable. The Hofner was a lemon. Maybe you'd get a better one? I end up playing the Gretsch most of the time. It does have a wider neck but is still easy to play. It can thump just like the Hofner or sound punchier if you want it too. (Humbucker pickups on it.) I haven't played any of the Squiers but their quality has gotten much better and that may be an answer for you.

I find I can get different sounds out of a bass without touching a knob. Play down near the bridge for sharper or near the neck for softer. Use two fingers for punchy, thumb and forefinger for early 60s thump. (It helps I have a Line 6 modeling bass amp.)

If you want to use a pick, buy some felt picks on eBay. They have a softer attack.

Flat wound strings or, better yet, tape wounds. Only way to go for a short scale. Helps avoid that low E string buzz.

Good luck.

Emster and screefer like this.
  9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Every Gretsch Junior Jet I've picked up seems heavy. Of course my Dano is a feather!

craigh9 likes this.
  10. PumpJockey

Weight is relative. My 2220 *seems* heavy but that's compared to my Hofner. I have to agree the 2220 is a great instrument, especially at that price point.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

She ONLY plays with a pic.

She is an.....ok bass player :D

https://www.carolkaye.com/

Any bassist worth its salt should be able to use BOTH ,there are types of music and SOUNDS that can only be achieved with a pick so a versatile bass player should definitely know how to use one.

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Epiphone EB3 short scale bass?

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

my two cents

I needed a bass to cut tracks with. I settled on a super cheap SX 3/4 scale jazz bass clone. It showed up in a box without a case. I took it out of the box, tuned it up and cut a track with it immediately. It cost me less than 150 bucks.

Later I even did a couple of fill in gigs with it. Bass players in the audience sneered, I'm sure, I couldnt have cared less... I was working and got paid and they did not. The rest of the audience had no idea it wasnt a top-shelf instrument.

For picking, I use a big thick felt pick. Try one. It plays like a pick after you get used to it, and it sounds a LOT better to me than a standard guitar pick.

Believer likes this.
  14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I just compared the Ibanez Mikro to the Talman TMB30. TMB30 made it home. D'Addario Chrome flatwounds and... fingers or smooth heavy pick, I like it. Played more bass than I had in quite some time. I also have a 34" OLP which is nothing special.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Tony474 and ndeli55 like this.
  15. PumpJockey

I have owned one and played two more. Poorly made instruments IMHO.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I had a Gibson one (with violin style tuners) in the late 70s. That was lovely (albeit with a "woolly" sounding neck pickup). Still, if it was good enough for Jack Bruce....

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I'd take the TMB30 over the Jag SS. Better balance and thumpy pickups that I don't think need to be changed. The common consensus is the Jag SS pickups are weak, and most end up changing them. They are the same price, and I think Ibanez wins it.

Tony474 likes this.
  18. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Here’s mine: Mustang PJ File Feb 28, 7 27 23 PM.jpeg

Bassman8 likes this.
  19. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

How do you like it and what style of music do you play?

20. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

I was gonna go short scale but snagged this ESP-LTD bass for $200
    PJ style
    sounds great!
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.