Short scale bass for a 10yo

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by DavidM1, Jun 13, 2014.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Our ten year old boy is mad keen on learning bass so I'm looking round for an affordable short scale bass and practice amp. He already plays some cello, bassoon and piano so I'm expecting he'll go ok with it.

I'm currently thinking of a Squier short scale Jaguar and an Ampeg BA108. Because of where we live I'd have to order online.

I'm no bassist but does this look like a good combination to kick off with?
    Any suggestions for first teaching materials that I can help him with?

Thanks all!

2. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

The SS Jaguar is a fine instrument; I also like the Squier Bronco bass, mainly because of its thicker neck. Hardware and pickup are definitely a step below the Jaguar, however.

On the amp side, I'd step up a bit, to either the next Ampeg w/ a 10-inch speaker or possibly an Acoustic (not sure if they're offering a 10 or 12-incher in that price range). I'd suggest looking at a used amp as well; 15-inch combos can be found pretty cheap here, but I'm not sure what the market in Tasmania is like.

3. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

I just recently picked up a Squier Jaguar SS. It's fun to play and probably the best low budget option out there as far as quality goes that I have tried. The one thing that I am still getting used to is the string tension. With the short scale you definitely notice it especially on the low E string. A bit more floppy and less defined than on a standard scale bass. But I have been fairly successful overcoming that by dialing in my sound a little differently and changing up my pick attack.

4. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The Kala is a nice ultra small bass for a beginner if the sticker price doesn't floor you. If so then I'd look at 30" scale Bronco Bass as a starter. You should be able to pick up a new one for around $150 and used for closer to $100.

http://www.fender.com/basses/other/bronco-bass-maple-fingerboard-black/

I'd also agree with the suggestion to get a small bass amp with at least a 10" speaker. A single 8" is OK for guitar but it will struggle more with the lower frequencies a bass produces. A 12" is even better but pricier because the amp will be more powerful too.

You can also find a lot of these smaller bass amps used by checking Ebay, CL, or the used gear in a local shop like GC or Music Go Round.

6. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Thanks guys. Second hand market here is patchy - not much choice but occasional bargains... and I've been watching it like a hawk! :))

I like the idea of a bigger speaker. There's more guitar stuff than bass on the used market. Would a guitar amp with a 12" be worth looking at or should I stick with bass amps?

7. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Skip the guitar amps for bass. A keyboard amp would work. I would probably get the Jaguar if you are going to buy new.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I run a primary school rock band... the first Bass I got them was a $50 second hand P Bass size... there were times where I saw the kid struggling with the weight at practice.. I didn't find it a heavy Bass....

so I bought a new short scale bass for them.. it's great... the bass kids love it.. I love playing it too at times...

Artists Guitars in OZ has a good one.... I got one for $129 free post... and 1 or 2 days delivery..fast..

http://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/artist-pb34bk-3-4-size-electric-bass-guitarplus-ac/11327

out of stock?... keep an eye on the website...;)

9. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Thanks all. I really appreciate the advice.

I think the Jag will be the one and I've found a pretty good new price. I've read plenty of good things about it and it should see him through for a few years. I'll trawl through the ads again for an amp and see if there is anything used going.

Thanks again.

10. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

Get the Fender Bronco bass amp. I've owned all major amps from huge to tiny and this is a winner. As promoted by Fender it IS loud and has more than enough tone choices on hand. Wish I could have bought something like this years ago because it would be what I'd take to the gig (with reinforcement to the PA from the XLR). Price is decent too.

11. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

The Ampeg 108 is an excellent practice amp and is in no way limited by the smaller speaker. It is the best small bass practice amp I have ever had. Excellent tone control through a small ported cabinet.

12. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

If you're on a budget, and who isn't, I'd go with the Bronco bass and put more money toward a decent amp. This will save money in the long run, as you can always trade up for a bigger bass when he grows out of the Bronco (although my first Fender was a short scale at age 19), but a decent amp can stay with him.

13. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

the Jag is a good instrument but it's quite heavy for a 10 year old...

14. aryoprionggo

aryoprionggo Tele-Meister

I think 10 year old is too old for a short scale bass . Kid that age grows fast in less than 2 years, he'll want a normal scale bass..I 've seen some boys younger in bass class at music school :)

15. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Short scale bass isn't just for kids and beginners.

16. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I would also suggest looking at an Ibanez Mikro bass. Short scale and smaller overall to the Jag.

17. trev333

I found the short scale bass much easier to play/handle than my P and Jazz basses... :)

and it thumps rather well, too..:cool:

look how big the strat looks on this kid... a P bass would look huge...;)

Attached Files:

18. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Thanks for these. I agree that adult size instruments are really a bit too big for kids, especially when they start. I've watched him go from a 1/2 to 3/4 size cello and it is all more fun when the notes are under your fingers.

19. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if the Ibanez are susceptible to neck dive? I haven't tried one but the smaller body makes me curious.

20. trev333

another thing I've noticed about working with school kids for a few years..

I've never once heard them talk about or care about what name was on their gear... or heard them wish they had other "brand" name stuff...

guitars/amps... that's what they are to them, atm... ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.