Short-scale bass -- flatwounds or tapewounds?

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
I ordered an Ibanez TMB30 (short-scale Talman-shaped bass) on a whim about a month ago and was told it would arrive sometime next year. With my previous luck, I expected to find out next year that they discontinued it or something. Instead, I got a phone call earlier today saying that it just arrived. :eek:

The shop I ordered it at offers a free setup so I'm deciding on what strings to put on it. I mostly play blues, country, and rock 'n' roll from the '40s to '70s (roughly speaking), so I generally like the sound of the flatwound bass strings they used on those classic sides (when they were using an electric bass as opposed to an upright).

However, I've been reading about tapewound strings and wondering if I should give those a go.

Any ideas/suggestions as to which of the two (flatwounds or tapewounds) might be better on a short-scale bass for a retro music-loving guitar player and sometimes bassist?

I’ve got the TMB-100. Longscale sibling of yours-

F1D365EC-4799-4B23-9EEA-6CE83D5FAF7F.jpeg

I put on Rotosound 88 black nylon tapewounds on mine. Love them! Great feel/ Great sound! They come in short scale as well- buddy has the Gretsch Jet Junior bass- I got him a set of these:

2EDF75D8-F169-4EB3-AA4B-8F90216EBFC0.jpeg

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i always do flats on bass. but tape idk, hard to find, no? just stick with the flats, multiple brands make them and easy enough to find.

Downsman

Tele-Meister
I've settled on Chromes for my Mustang bass. Gives old school thump for the 60s Garage band I'm, in but can also brighten up a fair bit for a bit of snap and pop if you need it.