1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Shopping some motorcycle jackets today.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Apr 13, 2021.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I currently have one lightweight black leather jacket, and two cordura jackets, one heavy, one light.

The lightweight black leather jacket is rather low quality and wasn't very expensive (relatively), and with the one exception of our '18 Goldwing, none of our other three bikes have windshields or fairings. As such, to prevent the light leather jacket from puffing up like a balloon when riding the unfaired machines, I always also wear the backpack that was a Triumph giveaway when I bought the Thruxton. It's straps keep the jacket from filling with air when at highway/interstate speeds, which is a big peeve of mine concerning some motorcycle jackets.

2. Hamstein

Hamstein TDPRI Member

Took a bit of rummaging about to find a pic....
    Hamgrey1.jpg

drlucky and John Backlund like this.
  3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I have a really nice plain, old style leather jacket that I wore for 25 years. But my wife shrank it and I can't fit into it anymore.

MickM and dogmeat like this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

For a going away, my work cohort gave me a really nice leather jacket (which I still have) with HD embossed on the back...it is actually HD branded clothing and the tag indicated ~$500. (In retrospect, it may have been a death wish thing;)). I thanked them profusely, and later bought a Carhart canvas vest to wear over it---went better with my Moto Guzzi that way :lol::lol:, although a riveted metal brand tag remains exposed on the sleeve. After the last bike went out the door, I kept it and my helmet. I wear it twice a year on really cold days. I boxed up my full Rocket leathers, boots and full summer rig, and shipped them with the bike to the new owner---don't worry, I'd kept them clean and well-kept:cool:.

John, too much bling causes wind resistance making you more prone to the effects of the wild prairie wind bursts...just saying.

5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Chaps have to be a$$less, else they'd be pants.

@John Backlund should buy a jacket for someone else that needs one if he doesn't want one. :)
    I'd like a new jacket to go with my naked BMW airhead.

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

7. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Damn you John. :)
    I have the “waffle-stitched” Trialsmaster AND the BMW R9T, and back when bars were allowed to be open, would engage in many craft brews....
    I don’t wear the Belstaff for riding as there are far safer jackets in my arsenal, but since I saw Hammond on Top Gear wearing one, I had to have it for cool evening excursions (walks) to the pub.

Hamstein likes this.
  8. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

If you’re serious, California Creations makes the best jackets I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a lot of them.

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you're into making a fashion statement at the Starbuck's, the sky's the limit.

If you're wanting protection from the stuff encountered when riding, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

10. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

If she doesn't like it, then she doesn't have to wear it.

11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Langlitz. Just saying.

dogmeat and natec like this.
  12. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This.

13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I'm done with leather. My cordura jacket works all winter over thermal bibs, and with vents open and liner removed I've ridden across the mojave on a 115° day and not needed to take it off. Also waterproof.

14. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Very nice, and extra points awarded for the whitewalls.

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I preferred a vest when doing Poker runs and the like. Most are my older brothers who started racing in the 50's. He was going to throw the vest out until I asked if I could have it. Used to wear it at local HOC events. A few are mine. I have a leather jacket that I bought in the 90's. It gets the Mink oil treatment every year. I bought it and one for my wife at an outlet mall store called Wilson Leathers. Both under $200. Made some major trips in them.

WP_20210413_10_20_11_Pro.jpg WP_20210413_10_20_34_Pro.jpg

16. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I had a Vespa too. Is the best bike for old European cities like Madrid. You can squeeze yourself between traffic and old labyrinthic streets plus you don get your feet wet when raining

Yes, those prices are crazy

By the way... this is my jacket. I must add some more patches at the back, Morocco, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Letonia and Lituania. As you can see, I have the Mod and the Rocker flag... 1964 is too far from me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hamstein and John Backlund like this.
  17. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Damn, I had to use my own money! I just got this jacket last year. Really impressed with the quality. Checked out many jackets before finding this one. It's clearly a cut above in quality:

https://www.firstmfg.com/products/top-performer-mens-motorcycle-leather-jacket

I usually go XL, as L can get a little snug. On this jacket, L is generous, fits me perfectly.

Can't match that beautiful Thruxton John, but we're on the same team. Here's my triumph:

Triumph GT1.jpg

18. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I need something I can wear here in Phoenix...the leather jacket is miserable when it starts getting warm.

19. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I defintely recommend a cordura jacket with removable liner and good vents then. I have a cortech I've had for 15 years, and a couple years ago I bought an olympia that works similarly but is also waterproof. Both great. Not quite as cooling as mesh jackets, but the vents are enough on hot days as long as you're moving.

20. Hamstein

Hamstein TDPRI Member

Only a few tasteful items on my battered old jacket.....
    DSC00786small.jpg DSC00787small.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.