1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Shopping some motorcycle jackets today.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Apr 13, 2021.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mother-in-law didn't like my old leather motorcycle jacket, so a couple of days ago, she tossed me $500 and told me to buy a new one..

The trouble is, I don't really want to buy a new leather motorcycle jacket, but I guess I'll try to find something, just to humor her and not hurt her feelings by rejecting her kind and generous offer.

Everything I look at is generic and 'blah', so down the internet rabbit-hole I dived, and struck gold (he said with tongue firmly pressed into his cheek).

These fashionably eccentric retro 'Rocker' jackets would certainly have me sport'n a pretty cool 'look' as I roared into the cafe parking lot on my Triumph Thruxton R...with a keen eye on the lookout for any scooter 'Mods' to inflict nuclear snuggies upon.

Anyway, here's several examples I may consider, though the shipping seems a little high on a couple of them.
    Screenshot_20210412-134252~3.png

Screenshot_20210412-134219~3.png

Screenshot_20210412-134145~3.png

I actually kinda like this one, and it's priced decently too...
    Screenshot_20210412-134017~3.png

So....what do you think?

stormsedge likes this.
  2. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Been a rider for many years and I never thought of the activity as a fashion statement . I suggest a high quality Vanson jacket or something made of leather of crash resistant quality . How about a set of Aldana skeleton leathers ?

3. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

<sarcastic>
    Yeah I think you should spend $3000 on a piece of clothing.
    </sarcastic>
    I imagine that for a bike jacket there’s a point at which as the price goes up its value as a piece of protective gear is going down pretty rapidly!

4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

When I bought my last Harley, I wanted a jacket that wasn’t a billboard. Finally found one that had a small patch on the chest and one on a sleeve. Blank everywhere else.

Nick-O likes this.
  5. John Backlund

I could be a retro-rocker wannabe!
    Screenshot_20210413-000418~2.png

Heck, I have the perfect British retro cafe racer in the garage..and I even have that same Bell 500 'Grand National #3" helmet laying around here someplace.
    IMG_20200615_072256356_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180911_182459194~2.jpg

tintag27, TIM5150, drlucky and 4 others like this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Same happened to me last month.

My father gave me 500€ because he thinks I needed money to buy a new motorbike leather jacket because mine is really old and "you have it since university" (That is 31 year so far) is full of scars and patches

I kindly refused it and explained him that I actually have another jacket but I always use the same one because is comfortable, is formed to me and I LOVE IT. I love every scar, every patch has an story and I am not changing it. Thanks father, I love you. Keep your money or buy something for your grandchildren.

What puzzles me is that he is behaving with me like I am 9 years old... I am 49 father, you should know :lol:

tintag27, AAT65 and Oxidao like this.
  7. John Backlund

Try to not take my thread too seriously. ;)

TIM5150, AAT65, MickM and 3 others like this.
  8. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I would kindly refuse. If you really DON'T want to buy a new jacket, don't do it. Thanks, but sorry mother in law, I am not changing my jacket.

Regarding the examples of those jackets... To me, they are FAKE and POSER.... just a wannabee
    Like a fake relic guitar. You must wear the jacket and add patches as you deserve it and as life goes on.

Shopping Ace cafe or 59 merchandising without actually being there, to me is like buying a T shirt from a gig you have not been to... just fake

By the way, I am a 59 club member, a real one, since I was living in London

tintag27 likes this.
  9. John Backlund

My MC jackets don't have anything on them as far a brand logos go, but are still 'decorated' with last season's bug splats.

MickM, Jakedog and swervinbob like this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

bwaaa hhhaaaaaa haaaaaaa.... ha, yep... ya made me look. good one! almost spit out my bourbon lookin' at those.... don't forget the axxless chaps!

my around town & close to home ADV jacket is the earlier version of this...

[​IMG]

it's a good piece of kit. my "away team" jacket for extended touring is a LOT more money & not very stylistic Darian Gap stuff. slowing down in my old age but have a couple hundred thousand miles touring the world on bikes. I live in cold country and buy stuff that works.

EDIT: wow.. others chimed in while I was writing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    drlucky likes this.
  11. John Backlund

Hmmmm...I wonder how many mirrors I could squeeze onto my Vespa then?

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Please take my post seriously .

13. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

so... is she against leather? or just some versions of leather. I got a couple old leather coats... either is yours for the price of postage, sheepskin bomber jacket or plain leather kinda hoodlum but not quite. from my "bobber" days... good for a "rocker".

as for Aldana skeleton leathers... ha ha I got a friend with a set. he puts them on for vintage rides. I had BSAs for about 40 years... thats where Dave got his fame... BSA

14. John Backlund

Truth be told what I'd really like to have is another waxed cotton Belstaff Trialsmaster, although I've read someplace that the later ones aren't as good as the old jackets were, just a lot more expensive. I've also read that the Barbour(?) waxed cotton jackets were still good quality.

I almost literally lived in one of those back in the mid 1970's, and eventually wore the damn thing out.

Screenshot_20210413-003937~3.png

The trouble is that back in the '70's, they were much more affordable than than they are now. I think they run $600-$700 these days...now that they've apparently become quite 'urban fashionable' and worn mostly by big city, 30-ish bearded guys who ride their BMW 9T's on wet streets to craft-breweries in old warehouse districts.

dogmeat, drlucky, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  15. John Backlund

Nope, No seriousness is allowed here.

Carry on.

drlucky, Jakedog and MarkieMark like this.
  16. Hamstein

Hamstein TDPRI Member

Beat me to it with the trialmaster, I still want one!
    Your old worn in leather is always the favorite, -of course they were all new once.
    I very rarely wear my leather jacket now, I've got older and softer and need my textile suit to keep warm and dry!
    Bomber jacket and parka on the lambretta, no mirrors on mine!

John Backlund likes this.
  17. John Backlund

Photos of your Lambretta, please!

Oxidao likes this.
  18. John Backlund

No argument there. I only posted them because of the fakery they represent.

Oh, and also the insanely ridiculous prices stuck on them.

El Marin, Jakedog and Oxidao like this.
  19. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

dogmeat and John Backlund like this.
  20. Teleskopic

Teleskopic TDPRI Member

I think you need to decide what's most important to you in terms of skin protection, weather endurance and what you feel has the aesthetics you're after. For the past few years I've switched away from leather to heavy waxed cotton (with armour inserts) because I think they give better all round weather protection but still look OK down the pub/café. What you compromise on in terms of the abrasion resistance of leather or cordura you gain in terms of being more dry/comfortable which in turn makes you less likely to have a spill.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.