Shopping for a baby amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mr Perch, Aug 17, 2020.

1. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

The issue with champs and princetons...they get fabulous cleans in the 1-3 range. Thus to get enough clean volume, you have to upgrade the speaker/cab to a larger and more efficient spkr. Perhaps a bit over-kill for your purpose of hauling to jams but if the jam came here...I'd be using this cab with my little muchxs champ clone or se6L6 recordplayer conversion/Princeton.

2. jameshall

jameshall TDPRI Member

I own in the neighborhood of 6-7 Peavey Backstage Plus'. But for my birthday, my friend got me a Quilter 101 head, which I added to my 2x8 cab. It carries like a boombox, with plenty of power!!

3. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Holic

trying to find a back friendly version of the fender twin reverb eventually led me to the super 20200302_162524.jpg champ x2

definitely not for everyone but fits my needs perfectly, even against our heavy set rhythm section
    many "modeled" voices but I only use the deep clear sparkly tone and do the rest with the pedal board. i think it was $388.00

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Is one of the other musicians a drummer?

5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I love my ZT Lunchbox Junior, but in this case I don't think it would be quite loud enough for a cleanish tone. All my other combos are tube except for a hybrid Fender Super Champ X2, which is really loud.

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I pretty sure wherever you got 8.36 from they dropped a 1......18.36.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

For grab and go for jams I don't think anything beats a Pro Junior. Only 20 pounds, loud enough to be heard with a drummer and sounds great with no effort since it only has a volume and tone.

kookaburra likes this.
  8. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan Tele-Meister

My Vox 15 ACC1 with the stock Wharfedale 12” speaker works really well for me. I don’t know how much it weighs but I carry it in one hand. It’s got the warmth, clarity, grit, and surprising loudness I need in my 4 piece blues band. Reverb and tremolo. Takes pedals well. I considered upgrading to a Celestion for awhile but I’m sticking with what it has. I love the sound.

9. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I think that Acoustics are underrated. They have an interesting, tube-like response. As I mentioned in the original post, I had been using a G20 for rehearsals and jams, but I was having headroom problems.

I am looking forward to road-testing the Mustang LT50 that I wound up buying. I am a computer nerd, and I am having a good time tweaking the preset tones. I want to use it to rehearse with my bands, and one of the big challenges is to get a $250 solid state amp to imitate the tone that Carlos Santana gets with his $30,000 array of tube amps. But the clean jazz tones that the Mustang produces seem quite satisfactory for jam sessions, if the rated 50 watts delivers enough headroom.

10. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

I also have a 1981 Acoustic model 164 tube amp. Unfortunately I dropped it just before a small gig and I can't make it work again, so it's on its way to a repair guy now. It takes some muscle to carry, not just because of the tube circuitry but also because of the enormous magnet on the speaker. I bought it in 1986 for about $300 -- it doesn't do the things modern amps do but as long as I can get it to work again I'll never get rid of it. I bought some wheels for it at the Haight-Ashbury Music Center (which I understand is closing now) and that was one of the best investments I ever made.

11. telecastasaurus

telecastasaurus TDPRI Member

The Brown Deluxe is about 30 lbs. The last resistor before phase inversion is 100k, stock. Drop that resistor down to 82k and you have a little monster on your hands without
    changing tone.

ASATwBrownie.jpg

12. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

Used Katana 100. Lots of stuff you can use (or not) and plenty of tone choices and headroom. Skip the 50. MkII is pretty cheap and the MK1's are out there used for dirt cheap.

13. ladewd

ladewd TDPRI Member

I know someone else recommended a Kantana 100 MKII. Not quite a tube amp, but one of the most versatile amps I own. With the pedal board & Wah pedal, it’s easy to travel with & plenty loud when you need it to be.

14. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Orange Pedal Baby

100 Watts A/B with a Class A front end. Weighs about five pounds. Add a small cab and a couple of well chosen pedals and you’re good to go.

SonofA likes this.
  15. kookaburra

kookaburra Friend of Leo's

This. I used one at quite few jams like the OP describes, worked great for the situation. I also used it in some more hard rock jams (had a very efficient Emi Ramrod speaker in it), kept up well for that in smaller spaces (no mic).

Before putting the Ramrod in, it still was great for the small pub jams.

I was a real idiot for selling it.

16. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Afflicted

71653A21-392B-4847-AD57-41577AF02588.jpeg This little BCH just got delivered. Wife is home so 5W is high as I’ve been. So far thinking it’ll be just fine for me.

Treynor likes this.
  17. SonofA

SonofA TDPRI Member

I've been running the Pedal baby all summer. Tube preamp & other pedals. Trouble free so far& knowbody's called me out cause they can't tell it's not a tube amp.

BB likes this.
  18. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I have been tweaking this for a year now, and it is now my gigging amp. Not surprisingly, a Fender modeling amp seems to excel at modeling Fender amps. I use the Deluxe model almost exclusively, but with a variety of gain levels and pedal sims in my preset array. With my hollow guitar it is especially effective at producing a Freddie King aggressive blues tone, or a BB King sweet but meaty blues tone. And I have never had to turn it up past 5.

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

On a low budget, Champion 40 is a slam dunk. Stick it on the BF Twin setting, dial up the incredibly sweet verb/delay combo and go.

20. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

So when someone says "jam sessions and rehearsals" and "small but powerful" that translates to a 4 watt amp?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.