Shopping for a baby amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mr Perch, Aug 17, 2020.

1. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

All my amps fall in this genre. Fender Champion 40, Vox AC10C1, Blues Junior, Quilter Toneblock 45. They all would probably work for you, but the best jazz tones would be the Quilter. SS, but very warm natural tones without the high kind of irritating high end jangle that can come out of all the others. It's very small, I keep it on my pedal board, you can run an external cab or just pump it through the PA or monitors, which is what I do at rehearsals.

2. Skyscraper1952

Skyscraper1952 TDPRI Member

My Roland Cube EX is 50 watts of A/C or battery powered goodness. At our last jam I was asked to turn down the volume as it was drowning out my friends AC30. Sounds good with both my acoustic and electric guitars.

3. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

Laney LC15 (or LC15R) - great tone, loud enough and the valves will keep you warm in the winter. They're so good that I bought another one, initially as a spare but now run both at once. They can be found cheap too! (but get one quick before people wake up and start calling them a 'classic')

kookaburra likes this.
  4. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

My Swart AST Jr. can (5 watts with an 8-inch speaker). I just have to accept that I won't have any clean tone. I'd recommend it to the OP but it's likely out of his price range

5. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

+1

And the MicroPro is anything but sterile. My 8" is only 19 lbs and covers a lot of territory. I was set to buy the Aviator, but was fortunate to run into some unexpected funds, so I got the MicroPro.

If you're looking for good tone that won't break up (unless you want it to) at higher volumes, in a lightweight package; my rec is a Quilter.

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

+1
    [​IMG]

BB, Treynor and Timmay like this.
  7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have two, both bought for less than £90. I have often gigged one without running it through the PA.

Zoot Zoot likes this.
  8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Quilter 101 Mini that I used to use with a 1X12 cab, and it was perfect for just cleans. I put the same Celestion bass 12 neo that Quilter uses for their 'heavy duty' setups, and it's nearly mind-blowing just how loud such a portable, lightweight amp setup can be.

...The caveat with the v1 101 Mini was their unusual and slightly unorthodox tone controls, but again, IME, perfect for cleans, especially WARM cleans (there's a tone knob to roll off the top end).

If I never needed overdriven tones, I'd never have any desire to look beyond the 101 Mini as the perfect gigging clean machine. With the right reverb pedal, it really was like a portable, Mini Me version of a Twin Reverb, to my ears.

...It's also the warm clean capabilities of the 101 Mini that have me keeping it, even if I'm not currently using it.

BB likes this.
  9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I know from experience that the Quilter amps are loud and clean. This experience has been with someone else using one. I can't advise as per the market.
    New: I have some familiarity with the Fender Champion 40. Good amp, clean as you want it, with some serviceable effects if you need them.
    Used: I don't know what they sell for these days but a Peavey Bandit will be heard, I'm sure. Not lightweight, really, but not much heavier than a guitar, with accessories, in a hardshell case.

BB likes this.
  10. ayjaydee

ayjaydee TDPRI Member

It's hard to beat the Boss Katana 50 MkII on all fronts.

Rocky058 and Supereditor like this.
  11. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

Another vote for the Boss Katana or Fender ToneMaster series. Not as small as some you mentioned, but light, versatile and giggable. The ToneMasters are loud and do a remarkably nice job replicating the amps they are copied from. If you are worried about wattage with the 50 watt Katana, you could get the head and bring a 10-inch cab. That would require one more trip but then we’re talking really light, and the 5-inch speaker in the head is actually loud enough for some small applications.

12. dave_t

dave_t TDPRI Member

If the Fender Mustang GT100 caught your eye, make sure to check out the newer GTX100. I picked one up used a couple of weeks ago, and really liking it so far. 100w solid state 12" speaker and it is SUPER LIGHT. It's lighter than the 10" SuperChamp XD tube amp that's been mentioned here (which I also own and like)

13. Marblatx

Marblatx Tele-Meister

Mustang II Dale Watson uses/used one.

14. Cosmicstrings

Cosmicstrings TDPRI Member

Pro Jr. It kills cranked up at Jams.
    I cant tell you how many times good musicians with good (and heavier) gear have come up after Jams to comment on how wonderfully that amp filled the room.

BB likes this.
  15. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Friend of Leo's

BB likes this.
  16. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

It probably is, and I need a clean tone because the jam sessions I go to are mainly straight-ahead jazz.

I pulled the trigger on a Mustang LT50. It should be loud enough, and I am enjoying the process of maniacally customizing the presets. It's 19 lb., not exactly tiny, but petite. Definitely a one hand carry.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    BB likes this.
  17. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

This looks like a slightly smaller, much more expensive version of my Dean Markley CD30.

18. glyons1

glyons1 TDPRI Member

19. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

You want solid state if you want to carry it a lot unless you want to bulk up while you schlep. I haven't had a lot of amps, but I have an Acoustic A40 that I like the tone on. It does a much better job (and of course has more power) than my Marshall MG15dfx which I just use in my living room now. If you're just playing clean they're nice and they're pretty cheap. The effects are a pain so don't buy one for that.

20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

A 5 watt Fender Tweed Champ reissue, or a used mid 70s Silverface Champ for about $600 would work perfect for a jam with 5 musicians. I have a 2019 Fender '65 Princeton Reverb 1x10" 15-watt Tube Combo and that amp is enough for most situations. It weighs 34 lbs., but not too heavy for me to carry from the car to the gig in one hand and my guitar in a soft case in the other hand. I carry a Shure SM57 mic and an XLR cable in my guitar soft case for the rare situations where 15 watts is not enough. A couple pedals fit easily in the gig bag or the bottom of the amp if needed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.