Shopping carts:

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

In a lot of western countries you have to put about $1 in the cart to remove it from the rack.You get it back when you return it. I've never used a cart in California outside of Fry's Electronics and occasionally Home Depot. Use the self checkout in stores and pack my own bags when I end up having to go to a manned register just like I would at home in the UK.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Shopping carts are utilitarian...sure...but on a good steady incline they are recreational transportation. Some folks pray for world peace and lost souls. I save my prayers for a cart with a plumb frame, good bearings and wheels with no flat spots. A straight rolling cart is a geezer fantasy!

My cart riding obsession helps me watch my health and weight. If I go over 210, my weight tends to lift the front wheels off the ground and I lose some control. Not a big deal in an empty lot, but when a family of six is spread out across both lanes someone is going down...unless you abort...and a real man does not abort a cart run.

Regarding my level of concern for the microscopic critters effect on my health, I grew up drinking from rivers that flowed through livestock pastures, eaten discarded parade hot dogs and I routinely consume a couple ounces of raw sirloin to make sure my e-coli immunity is up to snuff.

BUT...I do wash anything which will be consumed that hadn't been industrially packaged and could have come in contact with anything at all. The rest of the family may not have my disregard for pathogens...

Moriarty, Jim622, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't eat children either, but one has to logically conclude that the germs residing on the seat of the pants of the child, and WHATEVER is on the bottom of the child's shoes is IN the cart when they leave. Multiply that by the vast horde of medium to adult sized children that are placed into the carts each day, and you might as well be putting your groceries on a restroom floor before sacking them up.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Here in northern Europe (including the UK), all of the wheels of the shopping carts turn.
    That was hard to get used to.

Daniel

5. snorville

snorville TDPRI Member

Obsessed, nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

New York Times:

"Chaos at walmart. English shopping carts returned"

That would be fun while it lasted.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a buggy that's never been sold.

I'm living dangerously - I'm eating a doughnut that was Sell By yesterday. But my memoirs are done - I'm good.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I long for the days of those chrome plated super heavy duty shopping carts . Youcould put 1 foot up on the frame behind the rear wheels and skate that ***** like a skateboard all across the lot.

Once my truck got to be a certain age and they switched over to those soft plastic shopping carts I would crack my son up by pretending to not know where all the shopping carts were as I was going through a lot - just plow through a whole bunch of them and send them scattering into all the civilian’s sedans and SUV’s

william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Now there’s an alert out about Meth contamination on the shopping carts.
    I’m immunity challenged due to transplant of my recycled liver. I carry industrial grade sanitary wipes just to open the door to attend church with my mask on. Soon as the sacrament is over I’m outta there. I don’t shake hands with any body, and avoid the little germ bombs in confined spaces. Most people can kick neurovirus in 2 days. After 2 trips to the hospital and $1K in my co-pay I learned my lesson. Gezzerhood is not fun.

verb boten and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I always put my day pack in the child seat of grocery carts. After I wash the pack, I'm going to use those wipes on the cart like a mad man from here on.

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

You know that those vegetables grow out of dirt with bugs and stuff in the dirt right? They get hauled in trucks that don't breath well. Workers in the fields who gather the veggies breath on them. People in the supermarket might burp just as you walk up behind them and you might breath someone's burp. The stock boy at the market may have gone to the bathroom and not washed his hands.

I still have absolute faith in buying veggies and washing them and eating them.

When I was a kid my mom would pluck a grape off a vine in the supermarket and eat it as she walked around the produce. That crazy beloved Bohemian bird is 86 and tough as hell. It was the germs on those unwashed market grapes that toughened her up. She's indestructible!

It's going to be ok. It's going to be ok.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You forget I live where they grow vegetables. The field worker feels a bowel movement coming on, the trailer toilet she is far away the lettuce is right here. Ahhhhh relief is so good! They won't know.:eek::D:lol:

13. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Life is too short for all that. Grab and go.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

The OP probably doesn't want to spend to much time thinking about what's floating around in the air all the time, the grocery cart feels like something you can control.

Plus I wash everything I buy.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Meth contamination, i shouldn't be surprised. Shopping carts ARE the family car and closet for many homeless addicts.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Speaking of restroom floors.....supposedly some of the NASTIEST things in the world are the bottoms of ladies' purses.....they're usually placed on the floor in the stalls when they "go". ;)

Toto'sDad and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I avoid the crap compartment... But, do you put more emphases on washing organically grown produce or not?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I just use the plastic baskets. I'm at the store nearly every day.
    I always wash my hands the minute I get home and don't touch my mouth, eyes until I have got home and washed my hands. If I do use a cart its usually for electronics, clothes and goods of that nature. I never use the kids poop seat compartment and have always been aware of what might have just gone down in that area before I grabbed the cart.

Years ago I didn't worry so much about germs from shopping carts, baskets etc but the people frequenting the stores here have all changed and a lot of them look very unhygienic and sickly looking in general so I take the extra precautions now.

I basically approach a trip to the grocery store like I would a trip to a third world country because its a very similar experience these days as personal hygiene is not a priority with a lot of the customers.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've taken to going to the higher-end grocery store. You know, the kind that will roast a half kilo of coffee beans to your spec while you shop? The store is owned by the same company that owns the lumpenproletariat grocery store, and on their common items the prices are the same, but the clientele are better dressed, thinner and more attractive at the higher-end grocery store.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  20. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I'm a guy. Guys don't have this problem. Guys go to the store for like two items. We don't use carts or baskets. We grab our two items and keep adding stuff (oh I need those) until we start dropping stuff. Then we're done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.