Shop Safety Re-Visited

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by String Tree, May 17, 2015.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Many of us (and that includes ME) love to be glib and give our share of Lip about Shop Safety. While making Jokes and doing our best to convince ourselves (thinking others will believe it too) that those things just won't happen to us, Accidents happen.
    This pic is from the other half of my Duo. It happened Friday Afternoon.

He lost his Concentration for a Split-Second while using his own Table Saw.
    Nearly lost some fingers.

30 stiches, 4 of which are internal.
    He severed a Tendon and it will be Months before he can play guitar again.

I haven't talked with him about exactly what he was doing or, why he chose to use it while he was ALONE. His Wife and kids were shopping.
    He was lucky enough to have a Next-door Neighbor (who could have been gone too!) drive him to the Hospital.

So PLEASE:
    Think your Projects all the way through before you start.

Have a Plan B in place before you go ahead with Plan A.

Don't be in a hurry. I guess my friend was 'in a hurry'. If he got that ONE THING done, he would have been able to move-on and finish-up quickly.
    Not only did he not get his Project Finished, he can't play his Guitar.
    He and I are in deep for some upcoming gigs.
    Is being in a Hurry worth it?

Power Tools don't think and, they don't care how your day is going.
    They react to however we use them.

All My Best

~ ST

[Gruesome photo removed after complaints from other members]

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yewouch~ That's gonna leave a mark! Thanks for the reminder, and hope your buddy's OK. Healing takes a long, long time. Even after the skin has long healed and scarred over, there will be hypersensitivity for a long time. You can guess how I know. (and it was just a tip of my left thumb)

I keep thinkin' about those SawStop table saws. . . .

3. String Tree

Yeah, Nerves re-connecting will not be pleasant.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Yikes ! Hope your buddy heals up , that picture is a sobering reminder of what can happen when things go wrong , good idea to always keep safety in mind. I see things like this and think there but for the grace of god ------

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Yes Safety , Safety , Safety
    There are some things that you ALWAYS do & some things that you NEVER do .
    Good reminder String Tree . . . thanks

6. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

I've seen seasoned craftsman, many years older than me, loose parts. I've been working in shops for 33 years and have witness some bad things.
    I have to say this;
    NEVER grab any part of wood on that other side (out feed) of the blade.
    NEVER push a tool toward any part of your body.

Here's my finger, after a large pry bar slipped, and ricocheted off my finger and a trailer bed;

[Another photo removed - got a horrible injury? We're sorry but no close up photos please.]

7. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

I _don't_ think this is what they're talking about when they say "Digital Editing".

A friend at church recently shifted to counting in base 8 following a momentary lapse of attention w/ a circ saw, and his fretting hand will never be the same w/o pinky and ringy.
    Sorry this happened to you and hoping you get the best healing outcome possible.
    Peace - Deeve

8. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

My job invlolves using a tablesaw for hours on end. It takes a lot of effort not to just become a robot pushing boards through a saw. Luckily i only for for about two hours most days after school. After an hour and a half straight on a tablesaw you begin to lose concentration.

9. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Had a similar incident last October, also pushing wood through a table saw. Severed a nerve in the outer edge of my left hand, but fortunately no bones or tendons. Had micro-surgery to repair the nerve and 6 months later only the outer edge of my pinkie up near the nail is still numb.

The nerve healing did not hurt, per se, but there were periods of tingling and sensitivity. I was out of guitar playing for about 6 weeks but once I re-started it actually helped with the stiffness and scar tissue.

We had an addition put on the house and those workmen all had a story or two about accidents they had or witnessed. My hand surgeon said he averages one or two hand repairs a month from power tools.

10. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

Did a table saw number on my picking hand about 20 years ago. Never quite got my finger picking back up to snuff, though trying to made for good rehab. Still can't bend the tip of my shortened middle finger

I remain terrified of most power tools. Might use a dremel if I'm feeling really focused, and have goggles and gloves and a shirt with sleeves. I can't be in the same room as a table saw

11. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Lost my left middle finger tip in a very unusual jointer accident. Fatigue was a big factor. Had to change my guitar technique significantly, but I can still play, some things I couldn't previously play with a normal finger (the amputated tip is larger and facilitates adjacent-string double stops, but bending and vibrato with that finger are nearly impossible). Hands are treasures, and should be guarded with the utmost care. Hope your friend recovers well and soon.

12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Zowie, that is a gruesome mess. I hope your friend recovers fully. Thanks for the reminder.

13. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

ST,
    Please send my best wishes.

Your friend must be freaking out, and I know he is in a lot of pain.

This just s#€s!

Good thoughts for you too.

Seeing a friend scared and in pain pulls hard at the heart strings.

Wishes for a full and speedy recovery of course!

My buds give me a bit of ribbing in the shop for being on the careful side.

Face shield and respirator

Push sticks

No gloves when using any circular saw... If you do get in the blade, they will drag you right in. Better to only nip off what you put in the blade, no more.

Only use sharp carbide blades. See above

Never work when tired, ill, upset, angry, distracted, in a hurry.

As mentioned, do not reach around to the outfeed... You can always set up a riving knife and or a hold-down to take care of these things.

14. String Tree

Thank you everybody for the kind words and your willingness to pass some tips on to the others.

We did this show together the first weekend of April.
    He is on the Left playing his Guild Acoustic, I'm the guy with the Dano Bari.
    All Live in the studio, no do-overs, raw as can be.

We didn't know we were going to be interviewed at the end of the show.
    We just wanted to play!

15. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Guys, while I appreciate a good shop safety discussion, please don't post gruesome pics, especially without some sort of warning at the beginning of the post. It would be better to link to a pic so people who wish to see it can click the link. Not all of us care to look at stuff like this :neutral:

16. String Tree

In no way am I trying to glorify what has happened.
    There are more pics, but I felt one was enough to make my point.

Carry-on and, please be safe.

~ ST

17. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Hi Guys,
    We're sorry that folks have had serious injuries and the lessons learned are important, but many other members don't appreciate seeing the photos of these injuries and asked us to remove them.

Everyone be careful out there.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well Thank You for posting a "this just happened" reality check, sometimes the idea of actually getting cut up by a power tool can seem as remote as getting shot up in a bank robbery- it happens to those other people.

I've known people who just should not use power tools.
    And I've known people who can learn the basics, but probably should have a friend nearby and take it slow.
    Then there's serious hobbyists and pros who are well trained and practiced in proper technique and safety, as well as set up the shop for safety and efficiency.
    I was taught and trained and have used power tools for a living starting before my teens, sometimes running a table saw for weeks at a time when cutting a whole kitchen worth of custom cabinets.

The worst power tool accident I've had followed a heated phone argument with my girlfriend, where she was not coming home from a bar later, unless I drove into the city around last call.
    I started a rip on an unfamiliar portable saw, and the fence was not locked properly, so the piece jammed and took a chunk out of the back of my fretting hand.
    The hand is OK, but the accident was kind of gruesome.

Later that night, around 1am I was stopped on the highway going into the city, and as I (improperly I'm told) reached into the glove box for my reg and ins papers I heard a megaphone behind me.
    Looking back to see what was up, I saw a swarm of cruisers, maybe a dozen, and officers crouched down pointing their guns at me, telling me to put my hands out the window.

Apparently someone in a black pickup had just shot at someone in the town I was driving through.

Some days we should just step away from the saw.

But wow, I hope your friends hand heals up well and quickly.
    I'm actually working with only three fretting fingers due to a KITCHEN accident when I was a kid.
    Keep those fingers!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.