1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Shop-Built Thickness Sander

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Guitarnut, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

I already have the buffing station. It also attaches to the Shopsmith but it takes too long to set up...if that makes you feell any better. :p

2. Guitarnut

After 18 months of sitting in pieces on a shelf, this thing went back together without a hitch.

I'm simplifying the feed system for now...hand crank style. But will add a more controllable, slow speed, high torque DC motor at some point.

Some shots of set up to true the drum. I'll have to figure out a better mount but for now, just two small pieces of scrap screwed under the tubes to hold it in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut a piece of BCX play and added some OSB to the back as a handle and covered the ply side with 80 grit.

[​IMG]

Using the pinch roller as a "tool rest" I started working it down very slowly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost there.

[​IMG]

3. Guitarnut

Then I switched to the Stew Mac sanding beam. Milled super flat and tough as nails. More 80 grit.

[​IMG]

Smooth and true...at least for my needs anyway.

[​IMG]

Then I laid in the feed system after stripping off the motor housing and heavy DC treadmill motor. Fit's nicely and the belt adjusters (last pic) will be fine for a hand cranked feed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Guitarnut

Test run after truing up the drum. You can hear a bit of a harmonic oscillation but that it's in the Shopsmith motor housing...need to have it rebuilt one of these days before it dies on me at a critical time.

5. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

So what CAN'T you build with PVC and plywood.......apparently nothing. I am fully expecting to see a stealth fighter build next. :lol::lol::p:D

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great build, Mark. I attempted the Shop Notes hand-cranked version (dedicated motor drive, not table-saw driven) a couple of years ago, and could not get the feed belt to run straight, always veered off to one side or another, no matter how I adjusted it.

I saw a lot of guys who posted hand-feed versions who had had the same problem I did, and opted to abandon the sandpaper belt feed mechanism in favor of a simple slick-surface table with workpiece simply pushed through. The flanges on your feed belt rollers are a brilliant stroke, and may be just what I need to revive my project.

And thanks to you, too, Roger, for getting this one back up and running.

7. Guitarnut

I've been working on this over the last few weeks and just haven't time to post any updates.

I set the feed table back in place to start getting it lined up attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the rollers are dead axle my first thought on a crank handle was to just add one to the old belt pulley...epic fail...just not enough leverage.

[​IMG]

So, time to revisit the rollers I made with flanges on them. They were just a bit too wide so I cut off one flange and about another band saw blade worth of thickness then glued the flange back on.

[​IMG]

Also had to make some slots for the flanges

[​IMG]

The rollers are larger diameter than the treadmill roller so I added another 1/4" height to the table it would be slightly higher than the roller. I kept the rea treadmill roller because I had no issues with it and I really like it's tension adjustment abilities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Guitarnut

All back together yet again. I bet I've had this thing apart at least 10 times.

[​IMG]

I made some make-shift brackets to support the roller and let me tension the belt. I'll make some full-circle bushings out of Delrin later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New handle in the making. Glued up out of PVC disks and strips.

[​IMG]

I shaped it and then glued it to the end of the roller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All looked good until....the hardware hits the side of the sander.

[​IMG]

Flipping the bolt and nuts around solved the issue with about .020" to spare.

[​IMG]

9. Guitarnut

I had a bout 1/2" difference in the width of the feed table and the inside measure ment of the housing. I took 1/4" off each of the 3 boards across the bottom of the main housing, then loosened the bearing set screws and brought in the top of the housing. I'll need to trim off the extra axle on the non-power side but it's not an issue on the feed side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also need to figure out a system that makes small thickness adjustments that will coexist with the way tubes of the Shopsmith.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Guitarnut

It runs okay...still has some slop in it. The sticking point and thump in the video is when my hand pressure pulls the roller away from the temp brackets holding it. This will resolve when I make the Delrin bushings.

11. Guitarnut

Wrapping it Up

I made the Delrin bushings. The first side was easy but I had to cut the crank off to fit that side. I made 3 Sharpie marks so the angle and saw marks would mesh back together when I re-glued it.

Attached Files:

12. Guitarnut

Reworked that adjustment. I still need to make handles for the side bolts and the height bolt.

Attached Files:

13. Guitarnut

More...I'll have a demo video up in a few minutes.

Attached Files:

14. Guitarnut

The piece I was test running was cuopped on both side of the bookmatch...sort of like the McDonald's arches smushed really flat. :p

15. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Looks great

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.