While I'm working out a few design issues on the feed table, I thought I would tackle the cutting template for the sandpaper roll. I started with some math. The drum is 18" x 3.5". d x pi gives me 3.5" * 3.142 = 10.99" or, the distance around the drum. The sandpaper roll is 3" wide so 18/3 = 6. So, 10.99" * 6 = 65.95" This is the area of the drum...I'm sure there's an easier way to get to this number. Then I put a few cut lines on an 8.5" x 11" Illustrator doc and printed it out. I included a .50" overlap so I could tape them in a straight line more easily. It also gave me an even 8" multiplier. By my math, I needed 8.5 strips. After cutting the strips and taping them together at the overlap line, I started rolling them onto an 18" piece of PVC pipe. I knew it would be tricky to start on an end, so I started in the middle and got a comfortable angle were the paper wanted to lay side by side and not buckle. Then I worked a few wraps to the end of the pipe and taped it down. Here's where the math fell apart. I knew it would because some of the area I calculated would be cut away in the tapers. This meant that additional length would be needed. So I had extra paper strips standing by. I added them one at a time until I got to the end of the roller and taped that end in place. Then I trimmed off the ends with a utility blade. After carefully peeling the tape off the ends, I have my template Because of the tapers, the template came out to 76" total length. Just for grins, I measured the taper. This way I won't have to worry about lining up a template on the curly sandpaper and make sure it's all laying flat and tight. I can just cut a 76" length, mark it 10.25" from each end and use a straight edge to cut from each mark back to the corner. I only have to be concerned with the foot or so that I'm working on. Slide the straight edge down to the other end and cut the same angle. I just need to remember to mark and cut the back of the paper.