Shoes "may be eligible for Medicare reimbursement".

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Aug 12, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This is funny to me. I've kept buying same New Balance 990 running shoes since they came out probably or maybe 40 years ago. My daughter teases me about New Balance as old fart shoes but I know young runners who like them. Someone else tells me they are dad shoes but I know moms and young runners who swear by them them. It escaped me that 990s are evidently a style or status thing for celebrities.

Yesterday with 990s in narrow out of stock I got a different series, thought they actually look more stylish, and they're really nice off pavement. My wife said they look nice. Visiting the web site after buying them I saw "may be eligible for Medicare reimbursement". The beloved 990s considered dad shows didn't have that.

Don't I need the velcro straps, beige or white and sponge soles to really have nursing home shoes?

More seriously, I guess like so much of the richness in life I was surprised by how many choices there are. Baby boomer showing. It's not really a complaint. There were no choices for narrow or wide feet when I was a kid. Now it's that plus so many times of shoes. I'm mostly hoping I can keep going and not need medicare reimbursing me for anything.

:)

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, they are the only decent tennis you can get in wide.

But ya, my haircut person says she can tell if someone wears new balance.
    New Balance with white socks too. (thats me) ..lol

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

So maybe they should change their branding to Old Balance?

4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

what about underpants? got my eye on some rhinestone boxers, could use a government subsidy....

puddin and imwjl like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The stepping stones to putty-colored Velcro Rockports...

teletimetx, Obsessed, puddin and 2 others like this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Thinking about a pair of Sketchers. They have Velcros and slip-ons and come in widths up to EEEE, just my size.

imwjl likes this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Shoes. Ugh.

My wife and daughter make sure I don't get anything too "geeky". New shoes these days are made with those compressed foam soles. They may be soft and comfy, but I have a heavy step and burn through them in no time.

Give me a good rubber sole that will last more than a year. But you need to buy "old styles that are still being manufactured" to get this. And we are right back to the style thing.

Paul in Colorado and imwjl like this.
  8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Wait...you are old enough to have been buying New Balances for four decades...you're a baby boomer...you have a wife...you have a daughter...and you STILL live in your mom's basement?!? :eek::twisted:

Seriously, I haven't kept track of how many decades it's been, but all I buy are New Balances, too. In my case, though, I buy as wide a shoe as I can get without special ordering. My size is 9-1/2 EEE. Years--wait, make that decades--ago, a friend who was a manager of a local Red Wing shoe store was measuring my foot in one of those contraptions they use. He looked down at it, was quiet for just a moment, then exclaimed, "My goodness! They're square!" Thanks a lot, Bob. :(:twisted:

Straydogger, nojazzhere and imwjl like this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A long time ago I had an acquaintance who ran and raved about New Balance. So I bought a pair. I absolutely hated them and still do. I wondered what the difference was in why he loved them and I hated them. New Balance running shoes are straight lasted. I walk on the outside of my feet so curve lasted shoes work better for me. Nike’s and Adidas are curve lasted . It has to do with how the bottom of the shoe is sewn together and if the front of the shoe is straight to your foot or slightly curved inward. If you walk flat or on the inside of your foot straight lasted is probably better. If you walk on the outside of your foot curve lasted is better. You can tell by looking at the bottom of an older shoe and notice where it is worn the most. Anyway, lesson over for the day.

Wally and imwjl like this.
  10. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I have a similar history with Brooks "Beast" shoes. I've used them for refereeing soccer on turf for the past ten or 15 years, but they do change them subtly every two years or so, and the most recent iteration don't fit quite the same. Just hoping my old pair will hold up until the next change...

imwjl likes this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Funny stuff. I learned they (New Balance) make different lasts, and also that Brooks makes widths. Also that it's not just old farts who like them.

As for living in my mom's basement, she's really in love with my kids and wife. It makes the commute easier - kidding. Otherwise yes, I'm a baby boomer, a late age parent but have them and an almost suburban home. Station wagon too. My daughter's preference is when I wear my skate style shoes. It freaks out some of my work associates for a sexagenarian to still be scraped and bruised from action sports and on occasion wear Vans. I'm sure understanding Five Ten shoes is a niche thing.

I suffer terribly if I skimp on shoes. I smashed a foot in motorcycle accident when I was young, have always tried to be active, and other issues started popping up in my late 50s. The right shoes seem to be defense against plantar fasciitis.

The worst might be I cannot run much no matter how I try. I have to space .3 to 1 mile bits of running within walking. More than 3 miles of running in a session can be problems not worth it yet not being active is problems. It took 1/2 a year to recover from re-injuring a shoulder. Somehow I can still do well on a bike and still ski expert terrain.

:)

LGOberean likes this.
  12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love my 990s. Now that the normcore hipsters wear them, I'm right in fashion.

imwjl likes this.
  13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

You should get Rolfed. I was like that, it fix it right up. My shoes outter portion of the heel use to wear down, now that doesn't t happen. Plus you ll feel years younger.

14. magicfingers99

they say these are quite comfortable:
    upload_2019-8-12_12-21-40.jpeg

can't quite bring myself to put my foot into something called a crock.

can't wait for the stylized plastic/rubber gloves, Glocs

and the socks for crocs are called ....socks...

imwjl and nojazzhere like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've long favored Rockports for dress shoes, Reebock and Pony for leather court shoes, and various generic canvas "deck" shoes for casual wear. Got my first pair of leather New Balance last year....and must say, I'm a bit "under-whelmed". They're "OK", but not what I expected after all the hype....but I'll still wear them.
    Oh!....I also get ankle-high Magellan hiker boots from Academy for winter wear.....possibly more comfortable than even Rockports.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

"may be eligible for medicare reimbursement".

Funny, except that a lot of people are experiencing health problems because they've worn the wrong shoes for so long.

So, if you feel great while all your old classmates and acquaintances are hurting and getting knee replacements and etc., you don't have to listen to me. But if you ain't doing as well as you were last year, think about completely scrapping what shoes you wear.

People who wear something that's almost deliberately old-fart are not necessarily doing right. And people who wear "What John Wayne Wore" are also probably not doing themselves any favors.

imwjl and magicfingers99 like this.
  17. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bumched shrits, cargo sorts, New Balance (12 EEEE) ... all key components of my wardrobe.

catdaddy, imwjl and uriah1 like this.
  18. magicfingers99

make sure you get one of those button down oxfords designed to be untucked, so you can look casually formal, or is that formally casual?
    fashion eludes me so I make my own, "why are you wearing calvin kliens underwear?" - back to the future19 (3d bluray 5.1 version)

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Footwear for me is simple. The aforementioned New Balances, used only for walking, and leather moccasins for house slippers. For everything else, day in and day out, it's cowboy boots. Although in years past I've worn boots with leather soles, the last couple of boot purchases have been with rubber soles. That breaks with tradition on cowboy boots, and I suppose is anathema to some, but they're good for everyday, for walking or hiking.

In fact, I generally don't even wear my New Balances for walking anymore, unless it's to the beach or a river. Swim trunks with boots and socks would be weird. :twisted:

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

A few years ago I "discovered" slip on Sketchers and never looked back!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.