Shoes in the house + age.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Feb 8, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My wife's rule has always been shoes are left in the entry way.

While I do well for sexagenarian - mountain bike, ski, trail work, exercise - foot and hand pain have been a growing problems. After a new clean pair of shoes to wear inside it only took 2 days to notice improvement. It's crazy to be around age 17 mentally but have some physical issues creeping up.

My wife and kids harassed me for getting an umpteenth pair of New Balance 990s but their 990 and 1540 that have width options again proved to be near instant instant happy feet.

Some associates have thought it strange that we leave shoes at the door but I think it's strange to spread the filth they pick up all over your home.

Part of the problem is hard floors, and it seems strange to have shoes on if I go upstairs.

2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I sure have a lot of running shoes. I go through a pair in about 3 months or a bit over 300 miles. I try to keep 2 pair to rotate, then the old pairs become everyday shoes. I got piles of running shoes.

:lol:

I like to go barefoot, and think this helps build arch strength. But for long walks, hikes, or runs ... yeah I'm a believer in arch support.

We have no rule for shoes inside the house. When we've lived in areas with lots of sandburs, we took our shoes off at the door. My wife's family, when they farmed, the men took off boots at the door.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    getbent and swervinbob like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

We have all hardwood and tile. There were several years I could not walk on it without shoes or at least flip flops...something to cushion. Over time, I've built the strength back up in my feet...used some of the flat soled athletic shoes for a while (but they do not agree with a chronic achilles tendon injury). In any event, now I can walk on the floors barefoot, if I do not make an all day affair of it. You are on the right track...listen to your body. No shoes inside and clean floors are great, but you have to be able to get around.

getbent likes this.
  4. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Our only rule is work shoes stay in the basement/garage - wife and I both in the medical field, no way we're wearing them upstairs into the main house.....as far as being indoors, am virtually always barefoot, maybe socks on, shoes if we have visitors....depending on the visitors

nojazzhere and jvin248 like this.
  5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

do you take off your outside shoes and put on inside shoes?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

My wife wants shoes off as soon as I walk through the door. She yells if she sees me wearing shoes indoors. My 8 month old Weaten sees shoes and thinks they need their insides torn out. If my wife sees shoes with their insides torn out, she yells. Slippers count as shoes to my Weaten. Now my Weaten is sneaky. She watches the eyes. She doesn’t go for the shoes, or shirts, belts, or underwear, for that matter until she sees our attention focused elsewhere. Then she stealthily attacks her target. My wife yells. Believe me, it was easier to deal with an ADHD kid than an ADHD dog and my wife did a lot less yelling. My wife wasn’t always like this. The shoes thing came with age. The yelling thing she came with.

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Asian cultures are dead right about this--take the shoes off. We don't, I wasn't raised that way, but it makes total sense. Just have a a pair of "house shoes" by the door.

I have big feet, and my shoes take up a lot of space, but I'm sure we could make it work

8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I used to take my shoes off for indoors when I lived in New Zealand. I might have worn them temporarily if I was entering just the backdoor, hard floored kitchen area, etc. But, I didn't really care what others did either.

Now, after decades in Japan, wearing shoes inside just seems filthy and rather revolting. Sorry, but that's just the way I perceive it now.

To the point where if I'm watching a movie or TV show, and I spot a character wearing shoes inside a home, I get really uncomfortable.

But, the illogical flip-side is, coming from a South Pacific country, I'm quite happy to walk pretty much anywhere in bare feet, including moving from outside to inside my house. Freaks the mother-in-law out when my kids do it. :)

Pax/
    Dean

AlbertaGriff, JL_LI and stormsedge like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

It was noted in our lease when we lived in Japan..."no shoes inside the house".

AlbertaGriff and TokyoPortrait like this.
  10. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Take my shoes off before bed, unless there muddy. All hard wood and tile in our home, wife is the same. We also have dogs that pretty much are all over the house as well, I guess we are pretty far from the eastern ideas of cleanliness. Also we are from a rural area, where farms are prevalent. People here would take off overboots, due to manure etc.. but rarely take off other shoes. Cultural I guess??

chezdeluxe, Skub and getbent like this.
  11. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I do. I also sing a song while I change them.
    Friday evenings - especially when the kids are at their mom's - I'll sweep and mop the whole house and enjoy barefoot cleanliness all weekend. One of my favorite things in the world. My wife likes it, too.
    Also, for day-to-day life at 43, nothing beats some clean, cushioned soles on the tile floor.

upload_2021-2-8_9-36-52.png

12. JRicoC

JRicoC Tele-Meister

I've never worn shoes indoors. Mostly just socks, and occasionally slippers. My wife bought herself a pair of Crocs several years ago, because she was having arch problems, but she rarely wears them these days. We have hardwood, premium carpet, and a few rugs ...

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  13. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

When I come in the house I have to take my shoes off. Mrs. Steerforth considers shoes in the house an atrocity.

She did get me some nice L. L. Bean slippers that I can wear inside if my feet are cold. But if they ever go out the door, even once, they’re banished for all eternity.

stormsedge likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lots of cultures take shoes off when entering someone's home.

15. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

Slippers inside shoes outside! XD

Dave Hicks likes this.
  16. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

In light of recent events, my wife and I have taken to removing our shoes at the front entryway when we walk into the house. Not sure if it's an effective measure against the spread of the particular global threat we're all up against, but considering where you step throughout the course of your day, it's not a bad idea.

17. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My wife is European so shoes off at the door for us, we don't expect visitors to do it.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Canadians take their shoes off, at least that has been my experience.

Tyuk and AlbertaGriff like this.
  19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Yeah, I guess. But, based on practicalities.

Remember, folks sit on the floors here, in their homes. Eat off very low tables, etc. In traditional rooms at least. Those with tatami matting in the case of Japan. So, you want the floor as clean as possible.

Another feature of this is the big step up into houses. The internal entrance area (genkan) in houses typically have a tiled area inside the door where you slip out of your shoes and step up quite high to the internal floor. I just went and measured mine - 30cm / 11.8 inches. So, this also acts as a dirt barrier. Apartments have a similar feature, but the step up usually isn't as high. Houses also usually have a step up onto a small porch-like area outside the genkan door. So, that adds up to two barriers, or a two-stage shed the dirt system. I just measured at the lounge door too (not a genkan, so just one extra big step up). The internal floor is 40 cm / 15.7 inches above the veranda.

Pax/
    Dean

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  20. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

In central Europy it´s always so, you keep the dirty shoes behind the door and i’m perfectly OK with it. No dirt of any kind in your flat or house.:)

telestratosonic and AlbertaGriff like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.