Shipping Nitro guitar in winter

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jasonyeah, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Jasonyeah

Jasonyeah TDPRI Member

I'm thinking of having a nitro, thin skin body shipped by UPS to me. I'm in Canada, it's in the States. Winter has hit and it's starting to get cold out. Is this a bad idea? If I let the body acclimatize for a day before opening would it be OK or good chance of nitro cracking? I imagine it will be packed in a cardboard box with bubble wrap and styrofoam.

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I say let the seller make that call.. have had a few nitro guitars delivered in the winter w/o problems, just don't be in a hurry to open up the case. Fender attaches a red tag warning not to open the case for 24 hours.. seems to work fine

3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

IME mostly with a number of vintage flattops, all nitro + way more prone to 'check' than my Fenders: bring it in & let it sit in the box for 24 hours, then open her up. I live in MI where it gets darned cold.

You just want to avoid sudden & drastic temp changes. Guitar companies ship their stuff year-around w/o mucking them up much vs. waiting for 'stable weather', eh?

24 hours acclimation for a Fender is plenty; I'm being conservative here!

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i wouldnt worry about it

:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I just bought s thinskin a couple weeks ago during a cold spell. I let it sit for a day and all was fine.

Edit- after seeing that neck, I am so glad I waited a day. Man, that is just scary.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Let it sit for a day or so NOT near a heat producing source and you will be fine.

Gary

7. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

The big issue is rapid temperature change because the wood and the finish expand/contract at different rates. Keep in the shipping box until the box is room temperature, then pull the case out and leave it in the case until the case is room temperature. That is, of course, unless you like/want finish checking.

8. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Heritage Guitars and Rendal Wall gave me specific directions for this years ago. He said, take the case out of the box and let it sit most of the day, 10+ hours or until case no longer feels cold or cool to the touch. NOT NEAR A HEAT SOURCE!!!

He advised after that to open the case one latch at a time, allowing an hour between each. Then open up the case and quickly exchange the air and close the case. Gradually open the case again.

The whole process took about 15 hours, but playing my custom Heritage Les Paul at the end of that day was nothing short of amazing!

I've done this method a few other times and had no problems. Letting it sit in its case all day unopened, not near a heat source also works just fine.

9. vibrolux 1956

vibrolux 1956 TDPRI Member

That must be some torture, having your new guitar sitting there in a case, but having to wait to open it. Then one latch at a time, that's just plain cruel.

10. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

which guitar? from where to where? how long did it cure?

i've bought only two new nitro guitars online, a collings and a kirn. major stress each time. each shipped cross country in winter. each arrived with the finish perfect. actually, each arrived basically in tune.

what's yr situation? talk to yr sender.

11. xtrajerry

No questioning if this method works, just seems really tedious.. I'll just wait the 24 hours.. or since my last couple of guitars have been relics don't wait.

12. Jasonyeah

Jasonyeah TDPRI Member

This is a 2011 fender thin skin nitro tele body. It is just the body ( no neck, no case). It will be bubble wrapped with styrofoam in a cardboard box. No case.

13. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

I would let the box warm for a full day, then take out the body (in the bubble wrap) that night and let it warm up over night and then if its room temp to the touch by morning open it up.

Again you're trying to prevent the immediate cold to hot air because the finish and the wood will expand and contract differently.

14. Twang Man

Twang Man Tele-Holic

It's a guitar... take it out of that case and play it. You could sit for 24 hours and wait... tick tock tick tock... then pull it out of the case frantically and ding it. then what? you gonna be mighty p!ssed cos it'll have a weeny ding?

Get it played, it's gonna check, crack split, wear out, ding and discolour eventully - they all do

15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure where he got it, but a Seller sent me this a few years back, when he shipped one of my first Tele's:

Cold Weather Unpacking
    Procedures for opening a package that has been shipped in cold weather​

• Upon delivery, bring the guitar inside and leave it in the shipping box for 2 hours.​
    • Remove the gig bag from the shipping box and let it sit for 1 hour.​
    • Unzip the gig bag and let it sit for 30 minutes.​
    • Take the guitar out and inspect it. Wait until all components have warmed up to normal temperature before adding string tension and tuning.​
    • Play and enjoy.​

16. xtrajerry

Was this for a Nitro finished guitar?

17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I ever owned a nitro guitar, but those instructions were included in an email for whatever I had bought at the time.

18. surfoverb

if its just the body dont worry about it. on mine only the neck crazed because the neck is all nitro, the body is poly+nitro.

19. surfoverb

its not about a ding, look at the pics I showed earlier. some people dont like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.