Shipping heavy vintage amp from Australia to UK

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by uuxv, Mar 27, 2020.

1. uuxv

uuxv TDPRI Member

Hello!

I have had a beautiful silverface 1974 Super Reverb amp for over twenty years. It's pretty much my only real amp and I'm in love with it. I've been in the UK for many years and it's been hanging out in my family's houses and garages for too long. I'm now thinking about how to ship it to London next time I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

Additionally I'm curious about how much this will cost for planning and to set expectations.

I've researched packing methods, e.g., protecting the electronic components, lots of bubble wrap, two double cardboard boxes (first box packed well inside the second box). I've read that sea mail is not a good idea.

I've sent and received pallet shipments before, and I wonder if a pallet shipping company would be the best kind of company to entrust it to so it gets to the other side of the world in one piece. Any objections?

Does anybody have any specific suggestions? Thank you!!

Kind regards,

uu

2. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel TDPRI Member

Try one of the freight forwarding companies first. https://www.freightforwarderquoteonline.com.au/#!/import

I used to ship a lot of heavy electronic equipment by airline air cargo. You can save quite a bit by crating it yourself, taking it to the airline air cargo and shipping hold for pickup at the receiving end. Might be a good time to invest in a quality road case for it. Rates will vary with longer transit times costing less. Depending on your luggage allowanceyou could pull the chassis and tubes and pack them in your checked bags and send the cab and speakers separately.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

30 years experience in household goods shipping, including international ocean and air freight.

You need a freight forwarder to sort out the costs. There will be a lot of companies involved. You need somebody with the knowledge to organize it. I suggest Allied/Pickfords. https://www.pickfords.co.uk/. They should be able to orchestrate the whole thing for you. You want one neck to put your hands around If it was my amp, that's what I would do.

4. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

A stout road case is a great idea, no cardboard boxes for that journey.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Probably strip it... take the amp guts/tubes in your suitcase... put the cab/speakers in a good plywood box and ship that.... less weight.....

the electronics are the amp.... you could recreate the case/speakers if they went missing with any insurance money......

be a while before you can do it.... automatic 2 week isolation for anyone arriving now... even aussies...

Jakedog and Bluey like this.
  6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I shipped a collectable Twin a long ways away. I pulled the chassis and sent it first. I pulled the tubes. I wrapped the chassi heavy duty foam camping mattress type foam. Fully encased. Then I built a cardboard box around. Then I fully enclosed that cardboard box in foam. A final layer of outer cardboard. Then I shipped it. Later I built a custom heavy duty cardboard box for the cab. just one layer. It was light as it was empty. It arrived in perfect condition. Then the new owner installed the chassis and now has a heavy, rare amp.

Chassis box seen here:

IMG_3425.jpg

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

The inner box with the chassis about to be sealed up. You can see thew trannies here.

IMG_3423.jpg

tintag27 likes this.
  8. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Deleted.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  9. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would sell it and buy a similar amp in London. Due to the weight, freight costs would be massive.

Jakedog and trev333 like this.
  10. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

As Trev333 said. Break it down & carry the chassis/speaker. You may even be able to ship the cab city to city Australia Post?

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would ship chassis and cabinet separate boxes. Foam or generous bubble wrap. Dont make the cabinet box too big though in the process. Too big = cant grip it = dropped.

Your amp is especially prone to damage as it not a fingerjointed cab, and large, and the baffles on Super Reverbs are fragile anyway. I shipped a 70's Super from LA to Seattle years ago and it arrived in about 5 pieces. It was far worse than this one:
    [​IMG]

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This may be a good idea, buy a good jointed pine cab and have it shipped to London. That's an upgrade anyway. Ship or carry the chassis/speakers. Speakers in a suitcase.
    Or just sell it and buy a Super.

teleman1 likes this.
  13. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

Could be dodgy in this day and age...don't think airport security would like this...could be mistaken for a 'you know what' ! I'd buy a foamed flight case and ship in that. You can sell the case when you receive it the other end and get some of your money back. If you value the amp that much I reckon this is your best option.
    Road_Ready_RRHRDC_FENDER_HOT_ROD_DEVILLE.jpg

trev333 and noname_dragon like this.
  14. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

I might add that heavy speakers like JBLs could break away from the baffle if the amp take a hard hit the wrong way, even inside a deluxe pack job or road case. Normal SR speakers like oxfords or CTS are likely not a problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.