Shipping a Ric from USA to UK...'from a friend' !

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by tweeet, Mar 31, 2020.

1. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

Anyone done this ? I'm fancying a Ric 660 12 that's for sale in the USA on the Bay site. I've plenty of friends in the US. Could I avoid paying the exorbitant £600 import fees if I got a friend to buy it then ship it as a gift ? Let's say I got the Ric for $2000 ...the extra $800 import would deffo put me off buying it.

2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I've deleted my reply. It was a bit grouchy and I'm sorry.

But I stand by the substance of it, that customs have seen every trick in the book and there's a high chance of losing it without compensation.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    kodiakblair and tweeet like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

You’d be lucky to get away with this. I’ve had friends and family bring gifts over when visiting. That works.

PeterUK likes this.
  4. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

unfortunately as things stand in the world...that was my first option but non doable at the mo

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Not really because most of the 'import charge' will actually be VAT so unless you have a way to avoid that there's not much you can do.

The other thing is that you'll be charged VAT not just on the price of the guitar but on the total value including postage, insurance and any duty!

kodiakblair likes this.
  6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

You sure you really want to do this at the moment?

With most flights grounded at the moment, it's got the potential to be bounced around warehouses for an extended period of time until things get back to normal.

I have had stuff shipped from the US over the years. Pretty much everything gets hit with duty and VAT and the fees for charging the additional fees ...

PeterUK and WingedWords like this.
  7. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is how I source most of my parts.

I work for a company with offices around the world and I have 'stuff' shipped to the office in Atlanta and either collect it or have someone legally bring it over for me as we have (or did) have a regular stream of people travel between the UK and the USA.

I or a friend/colleague can import up to £350 of goods with having to pay import tax and duty.

I restrict it to smaller items if a friend or colleague is bringing stuff back with then: pick ups, bridges, small parts, etc. and only order bigger stuff like necks and bodies for myself.

For necks I use a large tube from Staples and wrap the neck in bubble wrap and include it in my carry-on items. It looks like a poster or marketing material and I've only ever been stopped by customs when they took an interest in an amp cabinet I bought off someone on eBay USA. I'd printed off the auction details and it was less than $100 so they were fine with it.

I've never purchased and imported a guitar this way but I'd be inclined to declare it and pay the VAT rather than risk getting a fine or getting it siezed.

I did get stopped carrying a guitar but I had taken it out and was able to show time dated and location stamped photos of it in the UK plus I had photos of receipts for the parts (it was a partscaster) so customs were happy.

Anyone who tries cheat customs and avoid paying import tax and duty deserve the consequences.

I work with customs with delayed bags and they have a difficult and demanding job. P*ss them off and face the consequences: fines and seizing of goods.:rolleyes:

WingedWords likes this.
  8. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

Alas...it was just a thought...let's get back to reality now then...Netflix...Prime...jogs around the garden...whiskey...wine...and back to work on Thursday :(

Alamo and PeterUK like this.
  9. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Probably the best plan!

We can all dream, plot and scheme but at least we have our health! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.