Shin's Music Dumbloid

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by csapo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

98% CJOD, which is YATS. So more of the same old same old.

A different way to package it, a 4th knob tied into the stock TS tone control, and a name that implies it's a D-style amp. Presto!

2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

Hilarious

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Think it goes for a mere $300.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

$300 for the painted box. I got an nice email and photos this morning.

That's like two Barber Half Gainers. ( that's how my peanut brain compares prices.....hmmmmm )

6. cousinpaul

So, he pulled the clipping diodes from the first loop, making it a boost, then added the LED and "accent" control to the stock tone control for dirt? No wonder it's loud! All the same, it's a little more interesting than most of the TS mods I've seen. How about an SD-1 to Dumbloid conversion?

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is the part I have trouble reconciling. I can't read the circuits. But I just keep feeling there is a reason experienced guys with good ears, like Pete Thorn and CousinPaul feel it's different and better than a standard TS (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth there Paul). The sounds in that box are not for me, but it seems weird, if it's really just a Tube Screamer that a guy like Pete would think it is unique and really nice.

8. 11 Gauge

Yeah, that's why it's loud. YATS w/LED'S are friggin loud, too!

I apologize, but I think the TS tone circuit tweak in this YATS is kind of lame - it's limited to varying the resistance at the negative feedback loop of a tone control. IMO, it's crude & restrictive, and done better with other existing tone circuits. IMO, it's a hack method.

IMO, the .47uF input cap was taken from the ZD, and the single LED at IC1B was taken from the SHOD. So IMO, it's almost one of the "hackiest YATS with stuff tacked in" that I have yet to see.

This could be easily implemented in a TS or SD-1 but there's such a huge gain boost that the SD -1 will need the bypass bleed mod, guaranteed.

9. 11 Gauge

IMO, just because a good guitarist finds it appealing doesn't mean that it is a clever or deliberately precise design. The EJ sig FF has high gain silicon resistors and is deliberately underbiased at just over 3VDC ("proper" bias is 4.5 to 5VDC). This was after R&D to get something EJ would sign off on. At the end of the day, the EJ sig FF is NOT a new design - it's still YAFF.

But in this instance, I can't help but feel that everyone was being duped - this was deliberately marketed as a D-style pedal, but it's a mildly tweaked YATS.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, may just go to show how similar most ODs are really. And how listening with fresh ears/no baggage can make the "same old/same old" somehow new and exciting. Like if the folks hyping this pedal could just listen to their old TS/SD-1 without bringing any negative baggage about the TS from previous experience/internet "wisdom" they might love what they hear.

It's why I'm not getting more ODs now that I have my Mt. Rushmore + a few more. If one seems tired/stale, I just rotate it to the shelf for a few weeks and plug a different character one in from that same shelf. And rediscover why I loved it in the first place.

As an aside, does the Keeley SD1 mod do something similar to the LED thing in the Dumbloid/Bloom? I remember the Keeley having a toggle mode that was incredibly louder than the standard mode and supposedly being more "amplike". But it was so loud that unity was about 8:30 on the level knob and if I accidentally bumped it up even to 9 with my foot, when stomping on it, it was unbearably and unmusically loud in our mix.

11. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Just because he has a known name, doesn't change the fact that
    he is all too human like the rest of us.

This sort of thing is a function of our psychology. A type of placebo effect.
    What we believe, what *choose* to believe, colors our perceptions. Perception is everything.

I once witnessed a big name guitarist purchase an original Fuzz Face he had rejected ten minutes earlier. No argument, this giant of Texas guitar players
    went through about ten or twelve Fuzz Faces, only to settle on the very first one, and had said wasn't it.

12. 11 Gauge

I'd say it's the inverse - same ears that function normally as they should, but the packaging/marketing tells you "there is no way this could be a modified TS," so you are already thinking about how this pedal is supposed to sound.

Like people will believe what they want to believe, we will hear what we want to hear. The Lovepedal COT and all of its derivatives were marketed as being amp-in-a-box pedals, and have a "crude/outdated" circuit beyond the TS. Even GP gushed about the sounds they were getting. How many people swear by the COT today, or would pay what was being charged when it was first released?

I think Shin was tinkering around with a TS and probably came up with what he considered "the D mod" for it. There are two components that are transposed so that you could literally re-use them from a stock TS. But during the process, it might have been realized that pedal mods don't equal big bucks, especially if you are claiming to make a pedal sound like an amp that costs thousands of dollars.

...These are merely guesses, but I'm trying to see this thru the eyes of the person who came up with this thing, and how the end result is what it is - bonafide YATS, right down to the in & out buffers (despite being true bypass).

I would say yes yes YES. These YATS tweaks are all very standard stuff. The two most popular alterations for the TS are probably the 2X gain mod (or simply to mod it for more gain), and to substitute different clipping diodes.

...IMO, any diode changes where the ones chosen (or combined) have a bigger "forward voltage" than stock tend to be viewed as sounding "more amp-like," because the clipping phenomena becomes more subtle. You also get more of the amp-like dynamics if the diodes aren't heavily clamping down the signal peaks.

The clipping diode substitution is SO popular that there are pedals like the Biyang Mad Driver that have silicon/none/LED selections on a toggle. And Maxon/Ibanez also offered both the TS9DX and the TS9B. The DX has a mode with no diodes, and the B comes stock w/o them.

The other big YATS mod is to the stock tone circuit - it's made "more open" or "less mid boosted," but it's just a cap substitution, or something similar. The Lovepedal Eternity uses a pair of .15uF tone caps, which is a reduction from the TS' .22uF pair. It's important to note that if you don't max the tone knob, you get a combined effect from both caps. A stock TS cuts a lot of top end out with what amounts to .44uF. The Eternity cuts this down to .3uF.

...The Dumbloid keeps one tone cap stock at .22uF, but reduces the other to .1uF. What do you get when you combo those? Just about the same value as the Eternity. And - the idea to sub out the 2nd tone cap to .1uF was something I first heard of on Jack Orman's pages well over a decade ago - it was a simple tweak for folks who wanted "more air" than a stock TS would provide.

I consider myself lucky that I'm not on a quest for a D-in-a-box pedal. I didn't listen to any clips of the Dumbloid for a good long time after the pedal was released. When I did, what I heard sounded..."familiar." Whether you consider something like the Ethos or Umble to sound "good," IMO they sound "unfamiliar." IDK what's in the Ethos, but I really doubt that it's YATS. And the Umble is about as far from TS'ville as you can get. :lol:

My personal conclusion? When someone A/B'ed the Dumbloid against another D-style pedal, it simply sounded more appealing for what they might actually want to hear. Pull out the clipping diodes, remove the mid emphasis at the tone circuit, and give it waaaaay more gain, and "that's the sound you get."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  13. cousinpaul

Hi Mark. Never said "better". It's interesting to me because it's a little different from TS mods that I've seen before. Pete Thorn gets paid for his demo work, although he's stated that he won't take on a demo for a piece of gear he doesn't like. I guess he liked it.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Alright 11 Gauge, I'm hazarding a guess that YATS stands for "Yet Another Tube Screamer?" Certainly all kinds of mods to the TS circuit-- such as EQ, clipping diodes, op amp, and buffer circuits are available on all the do-it-yourself pedal sites.

In this case I don't know if I'm more shocked by the shameless seller, or the gullible buyers. This is certainly one for the record books, in my opinion.

I had a stock DS1 and switched out the diodes for LEDs plus altered the EQ tone stack, following various instructions I found on line. It ended up being too trebly for my tastes. I was too lazy to keep adjusting to taste so I think I gave it away, if I recall correctly. I also had an SD-1 modded by Keeley and I then sold it because I liked the stock sound better. The point being that mods that actually change the sound are very much in the eye of the beholder.

Other mods I've done of other pedals worked out better for me, such as changing a couple of cap values to convert a TS9 to an 808 spec. And I'll add one proviso-- lots of the mods out there are totally bogus, such as changing a perfectly good cap for a high zoot PIO or whatever is the sexy cap of the month.

15. 11 Gauge

Yep. So oftentimes is it used as "the basis for something new" that it's earned the acronym. And same thing for YAFF.

Oh, I wouldn't be so hard on either sellers or buyers, maybe with the exception of Amplifiednation, who degooped a Dumbloid, didn't reveal the YATS, and started selling his own at 50% off what Shin was charging. THAT was different this go-round.

...But of course he didn't reveal that it was YATS - just the opposite. Said he held Shin's clever work in such high regard that he wanted to keep it secret. But that sounded fishy from the beginning. TTBOMK though, this is the 1st time I've witnessed the originator get undercut, only to have the cheaper pedal still be gooped, and obviously cost a fortune for what is YATS.

The "tech geek pedal community" were actually very tepid on degooping/tracing a Dumbloid from very early on. There were members from TGP that went to sites basically begging to get someone to degoop/trace/build. I guess that was different too, and kind of ridiculous IMO.

We've had enough "really???" kind of things happen now that IMO it isn't shocking to have Dumbloid = YATS. The only thing that's intriguing to me is this one isn't in a swirly painted box, so that's a milestone, I guess. :lol:

Anyone who wants to drop a pile of money on a dirt box and not really have any idea what is under the hood - more power to 'em. It's their money. Goodness knows I've dropped "crazy money" on some things that others (not musicians or guitarists, mind you) thought I was bonkers for doing.

...I did like it though when someone pointed out that for the cost of a Dumbloid, you could get a D-style amp from Ceriatone. :lol: IDK if that means it comes assembled/includes tubes/etc., but I thought the point was valid. And - there are pics galore of the Ceriatone stuff, so you know exactly what you're getting.

But nah - not the crime of the century or anything. Not even close. I'm still interested to see how much Amplifiednation can get for his Dumbloid copies now that the 'YATS reckoning' has occurred.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

You're all wrong. Take a look and see if anything looks similar...

Dumble amp:

[​IMG]

Dumbloid pedal:

[​IMG]

See?????

It's the GOOP!

Yup, the magic inside the Dumbloid is the same magic that's inside the modified Fender Twin that is the Dumble amp -- GOOP!

By the way, if you doubt me on the Fender Twin thing, read this:

http://gretschpages.com/forum/billy-zooms-jet-set/dumble-amps/40287/page1/

So, if you want the Dumble to end all Dumbles, be it a pedal or an amp, get yourself some GOOP and go about treating your Twin or your Tube Screamer. The GOOP is where the magic is; it's where the BLOOM lives!!!!!

(Of course, if you actually buy any of this, then *you* are in fact the Dumbloid that the maker of this pedal is clearly mocking, even as he charges $600 for these things... Those Japanese can be so crafty sometimes!)

;) :) :lol:

17. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Guitar players are nuts. Even the ones who aren't nuts are still nuts.

I find this whole thing just hilarious. It's really a pretty genius practical joke.
    "Bah, I bet I could put a tubescreamer in the crappiest, home-brew enclosure and guys would pay $600 for it."

18. soulgeezer

You forgot this part:

"And, I bet I could even call it a 'Dumbloid' and these morons wouldn't even get that I'm mocking them all the while I'm taking their money! In fact, I bet they'll even say that 'Dumbloid' is somehow related to 'Dumble,' just so they don't look like the dumb*** dunderheads that they clearly are!"

Genius isn't even the word. Dr. Evil-funny is more like it!

19. soulgeezer

Here's an interesting tidbit -- If you go to the Shin's Music Web site and click on the link at the bottom for shinsmusicfreaks<dot>com, it tries to load an exploit ("Exploit Blackhat SEO (type 1720)") onto your computer.

In other words, it's a dirty site that spreads viruses.

In other other words, DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK!

Yeah, it's looking more and more like Shin isn't exactly above board, if you know what I mean!

20. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Shin is only one letter away...
    S-H-I-

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.