Shin's Music Dumbloid

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by csapo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You wanna talk about HAUNTING mids, get the Nearly Headless Nick Dumbledore - two Dumbledores in ONE BOX, but you can split them into two separate pedals or stack them in either direction.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: Man, I have got to get that one! :lol:

3. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

I think I will make a DumbleMore pedal :)
    but really, I have heard this pedal a number of times and it is really good. Worth $600 depends on you and your pocket book.
    What bothers me (I am sure I will take heat for this) is why so many people attack new products and why they want to steal someone's design. Oh, excuse me we call it reverse engineering now so it's ok ;) this is my take on this.
    I say either like it or not, buy one or not, talk about it, demo it, but don't steal someone's hard work. If it is not a good pedal it won't sell well and prices should drop.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

that is a really good demo for selling that pedal. That guy is a good player and he has got it together....

as for why can't the guitar device business come up with new things? question... well, they do, but guitar players are so busy being skeptics and so busy being regressive in their demands and have been so long sucking at the teat of 'classic' sounds... that it makes it hard for a guy to make it.

I've got some time off during the holidays, I'm going to take my m13, a tele and the amps in garageband and I'm gonna see if I can't replicate those sounds in the demo...

I'll bet I can get close.

5. Handonam

Handonam TDPRI Member

sheesh. if it took 10 minutes to easily degoop, i might as well degoop it, inspect, "re-goop" it, and return it hahahaha

6. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Skeptics? You mean those who doubt and question the latest
    'new cool thing' because they've learned from experience that
    it's probably another round of snake oil?

Wrong word. Those people are cynics, and rightfully so.

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

here come the clones...

Attached Files:

• BBs.jpg
      BBs.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

That GearLaunch demo is nicely done, and the demo guitarist is a very tasteful player who obviously "feels" what he plays. Props to him, he is a real musician.

But I'm not sure that the $600 Dumbloid pedals sound any different than my $60 Electro-Harmonix OD Glove would in the hands of an equally good guitar player. Certainly not ten-times-the-cost different.

I've heard the "swell" and "bloom" thing demonstrated on videos with actual Dumble amps, and I'm not hearing those things in this Dumbloid demo, either. Instead, it sounds an awful lot like JAOP (Just Another Overdrive Pedal) to me. :)

-Gnobuddy

9. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Who's ungooping the clones now?

10. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Worst demo ever. I wonder who would spend that kind of dough just hearing chord hacking.
    SO many pedal demos, just in general, don't show what lead lines sound like. That's the whole freakin' point, not out of tune chords strummed with maximum dirt or this one dimensional scratch-fest here.
    Any Chinese dirt box will suffice if that's the limit of one's talent.

11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

My thoughts exactly. At $300 a pop, this clone is still way too expensive! Maybe we could take up a collection to buy one and then find a guy...

12. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I really like the flocking on those.

Wasn't it FOXX that did that originally?

13. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

I'm reminded of an old comic strip from Guitar World back when that magazine was worth a damn. A guitarist is pictured saying "Who needs rhythm? I play lead!" as a metronome runs away screaming.

I do agree that was a terrible demo though. "Resplendent mids" indeed. ;)

14. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Yeah, and sell it for 150$! Until Mooer comes and makes a mini clone for 88$ and Joyo or Caline makes one for 35$ LOL!

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Ugh, I did not like this at all. Part of this is because the player didn't seem to explore the nuances of bends, vibrato, and finger pressure that, for me, is where the vocal, human quality of sound production emerges.

In the 70s, when MXR and EHX were coming out, I felt that such effects flattened out the distinctiveness of what and how the guitarist is playing. For example, a note G on the third string 12th fret, the second string 5th fret, and the first string 3rd fret tended to sound more like a generic fuzzy or OD type of sound. In other words, the pedals sounded more like pedals than like guitar notes played for different expressive reasons.

The real joy in playing with a touch-sensitive amp like the ODS is that the settings, proximity of the guitar to the amp, and the action of the left hand. The result is amateurish, but at a much higher level of competence than pure amateurism exhibits. Sorry to be so negative, as I am all for more good musicians getting good sounds and responsiveness that inspires them to greater heights.

16. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

That is very funny I laughed out load and chuckled.
    You are so very impressive with your funny.
    My haunting mids are the love handles hanging over my belt.

17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

boom!

[​IMG]

18. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

btw Pete Thorn is going to demo the 'Loid, should sound epic in his hands.

19. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Ok, looks like a ZD from a distance, at least. Now we need component values! :D

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Early speculation is a ZD-derivative with input and output buffers (the transistors you see on the left and right sides of the circuitboard).

Any clipping diodes are likely to be underneath that cluster of wires arching over the circuitboard.

Those tiny little monolithic multilayer caps will need good photos to spec out.

What I like is this - if this thing is supposed to sound clearly superior to a Zendrive to the D-in-a-box users, so much for the "premium components" angle - this AGAIN proves that general grade components are fine.

...Those little blue caps are the very things that get yanked out of mass produced pedals and replaced with fancy film-types. I have a Reverend DTII that uses almost entirely those little ceramic jobbies, and it sounds GREAT. But I saw a pic on the web of someone who "upgraded" theirs with the burgundy Panasonic things - what a waste of time & effort, IMO.

...Also - the Russian/Sovtek Big Muffs used those types of caps, and I've seen people swap them out, too.

Again - if this thing "has the sound" like is claimed, it absolutely sinks a vendor pushing "premium" components. So it might as well be SMT w/no sonic compromise.

...I just hope this doesn't usher in a "new type of premium" component like people got all nuts about generic grade tropical fish caps and the like.

I also want to note that there are no metal film resistors used, either. That's another "premium component smokescreen" all shot to hell IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.