Shin's Music Dumbloid

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by csapo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Re: the demo video - Straightforward signal chain? Really? I must not get out much.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Horse-glue? More seriously (but only a little) if you are able to sell them that way for $600, more power to you, mate.

3. luckett

luckett Banned

a google search found this on a japanese effector forum

[​IMG]

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

:lol:

5. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Curious how that layout has the name in a cheap label gun font.

Hmmmm....

6. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

Actually I've been doing rub on transfers which aren't much more impressive to look at. That said, I can't take advantage of people by charging prices like that even if the market was there.

Cheecharron likes this.
  7. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

My money is on this being a wattkins rf drive

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hence, my my 'funnin the label maker usage on the 'loid. Homespun is no problem to me if priced accordingly. Though I think transfers would look much better, to be honest.

9. sammo

sammo NEW MEMBER!

Some CLOWN photoshopped a Dumbloid label onto a Zendrive VERO board layout.

10. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

think thats because a lot of people are predicting it'll be a zendrive. I'm still waiting to see what it'll actually be, but forgive if I'm skeptical about it being anything original.

11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Wonder if the Easter Bunny will let me cancel my order?

12. Handonam

Handonam TDPRI Member

I was looking for more information about this pedal. Seems people are very skeptical about this, haha.

I've tried the pedal out over at Guitar Showcase in San Jose. I played this through a Silverface Deluxe with a strat, which can sound very thin and bright.

I can tell you one thing: this is unlike any distortion pedal i've ever tried. It's pretty much a preamp more than a distortion/boost pedal: it really defines the foundation of the tone much more than just shaping the extreme characteristics of the tone.

For example, from my typical experience with other pedals, pushing a silver or blackface can really just make one of the three sounds extreme: muddiness, sagginess (sp?), or too much bite on the highs. There's just that 'artificial' crunch you get with a lot of pedals, like a person who add tobasco sauce on the pasta rather than infusing a spice into the pasta sauce itself (maybe a horrible analogy for those who can't taste that difference, haha)

From my experience with the Dumbloid special, it really seems to push out the dumble sound with a boost in volume (i mean, it's still a volume-controllable pedal). The best word to describe it is that it just feels 'right'. It feels wholesome. That's what most of the people say when they play this pedal. The deluxe just leaped from being a tiny thin amp into a big, roaring amplifier. It just feels like you dropped a Dumble into the room with a flip of a switch.

If you've ever tried a Two-Rock, you'll know that you can't be afraid of running the whole gamut on the tone knobs. Even if you go far to the left or right of the knobs, you aren't extremely overwhelmed by the harshness of the tone control. This Dumbloid is much like that: you can't be shy about the tone knobs on here. It's more like... "here.. turn this up and you'll get a different tone. it's not making the same tone more EXTREME, you'll just have a different tone come out. And, it will change smoothly"

On the Dumbloid Special, you can get the smooth jazzy warmth of it on the "jazz" setting. Or, you can get that perfect amount of bite in the "rock" setting, and either drive it with a lot of dynamics, or make it sound very compressed. It's pretty dynamic.

It just feels like a properly tuned sports car made for the track to do well around the corners and straightaways, rather than car built more for drag with corners as an afterthought.

I've played a few Two-Rock amplifiers, and I can say that this Dumbloid Special can be very close to the type of excitement I had when I played those amps. I almost resisted the urge to get the Dumbloid today.

Apparently, there are only about 20 pedals produced every month. They are getting picked up by big names like Keith Urban and John Mayer apparently (unconfirmed by someone at Guitar Showcase. But, JM is a big gear collector so it wouldn't surprise me) and they already have dumble amps.

So yea, I just figured i'd pass along the details of my experience. I probably sound like a really shady salesperson from Shins Music I bet. But, I assure you i'm not. I just wanted stop by and put my feedback in because I didn't see many personal experiences about it :)

If i do end up buying one, i'll try to pop open the bottom plate and take some pictures :). But, i feel it may be epoxied. hahaha

edit: and oh wow, i didn't realize i am a new user on this forum. So, hello everyone!

13. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Subscribed to see if we have in impostor

14. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Waiting until people finally ungoop it and we see it's a slightly modded Zendrive after all.

Come on... 600$?!? The thing is built on a piece of perfboard the size of two postage stamps:
    [​IMG]

15. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

Mainly because of the usual ridiculously long thread on TGP, where you have people saying it sounds like nothing they''ve ever heard before (same people who said the same thing about the Jan Ray when it was a Timmy Clone) and other people saying its gooped all to hell, lets exercise a bit of caution before we all have love explosions in our pants.

Rigghhhtt... does it have haunting mids too?

yeah.. drink Koolaid much?

Nice!! what Dumbles have you played?

so kinda like a filter control on a RAT?

so it's dynamic or compressed depending on the gain used? yep, sounds like an OD pedal.

If you're not a member on TGP you need to be.

Ahhhh... so you've not played an actual dumble then?

so keeping supply low and demand high.. on a gooped pedal.. interesting.. BTW a guy on another forum I'm on who lives in Japan has said these were all over the shops when they first came out, just that numbers making it out of Japan are low (can't say whether thats intentional or not).

yes
    Oh well, that seems perfectly innocent

We already know it is.

Right, so you do indeed understand how suspicious this looks?

16. Handonam

Handonam TDPRI Member

if you go on their site (http://shinsmusic.com/index.php) then you'll see this:

http://www9.ocn.ne.jp/~shins/shinsmusic.web/welcome_files/shapeimage_5.png

it's probably not the dumbloid. But, you can tell it's very simple.

and thank you for your thought provoking analysis tekbow. I'm sure you're looking down on me on my post with it. But, I just wanted to offer my observation on it. Just being a kind friend offering a perspective here. I've been lurking for a while, and made an account in 2009, which is why i'm surprised I didn't post anything. There's a lot of cool things on this forum, i have to admit.

17. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

Look, all I'm saying is "wait and see". TGP get shook down at least a few times a year with a holy grail pedal, so I'm automatically suspicious of anything that they kick off about. LAst one was the JanRay, and you could have copy and pasted the florid prose you're using and put it in either that thread or the dumbloid thread and it'd have fitted right in.

BTW that picture is so obscure as to be no use.

Will wait to see what happens when someone traces it. Still not interested in buying it because i have no requirement for a dumble pedal, given i don't know what a dumble sounds like. and basically noone who hasn't played one know either. not for sure, not in the flesh.

18. Handonam

Handonam TDPRI Member

Completely understandable. I would definitely love to modify a zendrive to put this Dumbloid to shame. But, just my impression of this thing was really shocking to me, and to the other guitar veterans who were in the room as well. Just unreal.

19. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

People said the same about the Jan Ray vs Timmy, that it put the timmy to shame, that it sounded nothing like a Timmy.

What did you guys compare it to in the room alongside it? I take it you had a zendrive there? and other D-style pedals

It's amazing the effect a $600 price tag can have on peoples hearing..

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1322981

there's the TGP thread.

I wouldn't put money on it being original at all. however like i said, i'll keep an open mind until someone traces it.

20. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

wait

how can someone build a crystal lattice device and call it anything Dumble ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.