Shin's Music Dumbloid

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by csapo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I saw an early one of yours shortly after you degooped Shin's pedal, and I noticed it matched the layout of the Dumbloid, instead of using just a straightforward TS clone PCB like this:

[​IMG]

No need to do anything custom IMO - save as much $ on PCB manufacturing costs, especially with something as common as the TS!

Of course, it could just as easily be done on the little hunks of experimenter's boards for the full-on "Shin vibe" :D:

Attached Files:

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome! About time more of us Rods got some respect! You have also given me another idea...The Boosler Clean Booster! Guess I owe you commission now, Bro! :lol:

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

PM me and I'll send you my wire transfer info... :eek: :lol: :p

4. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

First of all, McNuggets don't cost $600 - surprise

Second, 11 gauge never offered, had he - I would have happily jumped into it - the dude obviously knows his chit. I had a Dumbloid, found it way overpriced for what it is with that simple circuit board - compare to my Ethos guts and wow, that (Ethos) looks worth $400. We tried on another forum and were pretty much ridiculed out of the house. Apparently unbeknownst to me - there is bad blood between them and the TGP crowd. So we found Taylor - and he did what I consider an awesome job at rebuilding the pedal way better than the original. And purple suede is dead secksie!

and.....

Third of all, a little bird told me the original build on the little grommet board dealie - looked like a elementary school electronics project. I saw pictures.

Even building from a kit is beyond my technical capabilities - plus there is no kit anyway - tracing? - forget it.

And it was never in the slightest misrepresented to me. And I was one of the original two that sought out someone to build this. I wanted a clone, pimples and chicken beaks and all, for less money than the $600 they were selling for. (I bought mine from Japan for less than that and found it still overpriced)

And last, lest I be accused of concealing my identity - I am the same bloomz that touted and loved it on those other forums. For some reason I had difficulty signing up here and had to use another login name.

The person that turned me onto the Dumbloid once said he wished it would get cloned so everyone could experience it.

I'm glad it did, and there are those of us who thank Taylor for doing it.

opinions vary on cloning - but I vote my conscience with my wallet.

5. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

What will you call it? The Shoe Horn?

6. RetroTeleRod

Boogie Baby Booties !!! (of course :cool:)

7. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

Still rockin' my Dumbloid! ;-)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. bloomz

Curious - as for Shin selling "YATS" - but - with modifications?

Apparently he figured out some modifications nobody had (I guess) discovered before.

At what point does something become something different? How far do you push a design until it's something else? One resistor, 2 resistor, 3 resistor, four?

Or is it always the same?

Didn't Dumble have a shidpile of Fender in his stuff? And Marshall? And basically all the boutique amp builders?

Then I heard Fender got their basic stuff from RCA or somebody else also.

Aren't all pickups basically modifications of an original pickup design?

Strats? One could go on and on, and on and on, and it just comes down to.....

opinions vary

rock on

9. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

I guess I'll be the one to counter, I find bloomz/amplified nation's actions reprehensible. Its all out there on the net now whether its here, tgp, freestompboxes, etc. The hype, the secrecy, the outright B.S. etc. Only now that there's a vero out there and the circuit savvy are letting everyone know what a dupe it is has the song those two have sang changed(and only a little at that). What you may have told someone giving you $300 dollars privately wasn't what you were telling everyone else publicly. I actually wonder why you bother here because I can't think of anyone truly willing to continue to give you $300 for what anyone could give them for under $100.

10. bloomz

Smoke one for me willya SmokerDude???

I'm heartbroken and I'm gonna go hang myself now - how can I live knowing some stranger on the internets thinks ill of me?

BTW I find some stranger judging me and how I choose to spend my money - well, reprehensible.

But thanks for your opinion amigo.

11. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

And yet since the dumbloid you can't find one without the other. Speaking of biz, never heard of yours before this so I guess this is quite the boon for you as even bad press is better than being unknown. Btw having done my fair share of work, if you can't put a cjod together and profit for $100 you might want to reconsider your business plan. While we are on the subject, its pretty clear you don't fully understand what you are doing by your own admission. You couldn't tell if fixing something would lose the magic? Are you kidding me? For your asking price I'd expect you'd know the answer.

12. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

That is exactly what you said about it earlier in this thread. I most certainly didn't conjure anything out of thin air and its a little late to put a spin on it

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Bloomz, good to see you over here too!

Yes, $600 is way too much for that. I was on another forum (not TGP) and another guy reverse-engineered it. Said it should have been called the "Screamerloid" because it was so similar in many ways to a TS-808.

14. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

Convenience only, I assure you. Neither you nor shin are all that particularly clever in this design. The pedal manages to work in spite of itself which is where you can't understand why people have a low opinion of it. The more you blather here, the more apparent it is that you didn't understand the technical discussion here or at fsb.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  15. bloomz

Yeah they have such a low opinion of it - that's why they want to know so bad what it is and how to make them and even make boards for them - that's the ticket - LOL

and why people pay $600 for these things - cuz of the low opinions of it

yer a hoot migo

thanks for the amusement

16. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I modded a guys TS9 to Dumbloid specs and TB last night for $25.
    I think I ripped him off.
    I even gooped it for him so it would sound authentic.

17. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

18. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

People who actually know anything about pedal circuit design?

Or are we talking about the mooks you bilked or even worse the mooks that got bilked by shin?

Exclusivity, scarcity, and secrecy are like catnip to the idiots over at tgp. They're all so afraid they'll miss out on the next klon centaur that they'll buy anything. Enter the clay jones overdrive. Please, do some homework on that one and apply the moral of that story to your own. (I'll skip to the end, he regrets his bilking of YATS)

Now on to your misguided readings of the goings on at freestompboxes. Once you trace it, you make a schematic. That's usually followed up with a vero layout and once that is verified usually someone commits it to PCB layout. That doesn't mean anyone is out there making boards for sale, it's just there should someone want to etch one. That's how that site works and I can't believe you go there and haven't figured that out.

I promise you that your dumbloid sales won't increase from this point forward at your price point, it wasn't going to last to begin with.

I think I'd fall over from shock if you actually engaged this audience with some technical discussion on this matter instead of your current path of deflect, deny, jab.

19. RetroTeleRod

TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE ALERT !!! I write this news to you my friends with a heavy heart. Alas, RetroTeleRod's House of Goop and Wholesale Plumbing Supplies is no more. Due to unfounded rumors, no doubt spread by my competition in cahoots with a certain former disgruntled employee, the feds swooped down upon my humble establishment in the dark of night and seized all my assets. This stems from a dispute in which I was unjustly accused of utilizing Non-eco friendly Brazilian Rainforest plywood in my pedals. THIS IS A LIE, REPEAT: THIS IS A LIE! Nevertheless I find myself financially unable to fend off the man, so I'm closing up shop as of 9:01 this morning (CST).
    Historians take note, here follows a complete production tally that I am hastening to get out on the web before they take away my internet access for good...

Custom Goop Mods
    (1) Whiteface Rat Mod for artdecade in Purple Hazel. Lest you wonder, he won't part with it.(duh) But it is possible he might be coming out with his own line of autographed photos of the innards. Maybe even bumper stickers and foam fingers too...stay tuned.
    (1) Custom Modded pedal for MilwMark. Due to the nature of this pedal I've had to sign a confidentiality clause. But in a word to the wise I would suggest that anytime he has any used pedal for sale, it would be easily worth triple the market value...just in case.
    As soon as I can compile a definitive list, I will be following up with a report on both of the actual pedals I've built (or tried to build anyhow). But I just heard a knock on the d...
    (eerie silence ensues)

20. bloomz

Geeze, I'm in awe......

(LOL)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.