Shingles PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@beninma again, you're taking what I am saying too seriously. I have watched as nurses briskly wheeled my child away, through the double doors. All the while my daughter is crying, arms stretch out, with utter terror in her eyes. It is gut wrenching to say the least.

Crashbelt

Tele-Holic
I didn't even know about the vaccine until my wife's sister got shingles on her face. Rushed to hospital with major swelling, throat, windpipe, eyes the works..........

She's through it but it was very serious.

We found out that something like one in three people will get it, with varying degrees of severity, and that there's a vaccine.

We've signed up for it and we're gonna get the pneumonia jabs too.

Bryan A

Tele-Holic
I’m 44 and got shingles on my face exactly one week after my second c19 vax shot. The skin rash part was very mild. But before it was diagnosed, it got on a nerve inside my ear and that part was excruciating.

TC6969

Friend of Leo's
Besides the red hot worms, my right underarm feels like the skin is 1/2" thick!

Its a weird sensation!

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Agreed! If you are old enough for Medicare the vaccine is free. Don't hesitate to get it - my mother had it and it was hell for her.

Not true. Medicare does not pay for it but your drug (Part D) plan MIGHT pay for it. Mine did not because I had not met my deductible for the year.

Last edited:

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Other than tetanus shots, the Shingles was the first vaccine, I ever even thought about getting and it was because I knew too many people getting it and the ramifications of getting shingles were horrible. I’m glad I got it and realized the great benefits of modern vaccines.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Not true. Medicare does not pay for it but your supplemental plan MIGHT pay for it. Mine did not because I had not met my deductible for the year.

I researched this and you are correct - I should have said Medicare supplemental ...I have United Health Care via AARP and there was no charge.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
An hour ago, my chronic pain was still alive. Like other flares of neuropathic pain of 15 years, it can coast along at a pain level of 4, then suddenly flare up in my feet and legs. This kind of attack is certainly wicked, and I am lately yelping, yelling, screaming, and moaning with each strike. I make sure that I am up on my meds, then repair to the bedroom of calm. Little outside noise, windows on the west and north sides, bed with a comforter, and a cat that follows me everywhere. The healing starts when I get under the comforter, extend my limbs, and stroke the cat. (When I'm feeling better, I am distracted from the pain whenever I play with the cat.)

I had shingles across my forehead which emitted an electrical bursts of pain.

I recently injured my tailbone when I slid off the bed and onto the floor. The pain started a few days later and become excruciating for several months.

My ranking:
shingles pain level 5
chronic neuropathy pain level 7
coccyx pain level 9

I distract myself with blues guitar soloing against backing tracks.

After 15 years of this, nothing seems to have blunted the force of pain, which is as painful as ever.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Have a friend and former roommate that can no longer operate a vehicle, on account of shingles. 20 years now.

But I keep trying to get my vaccine but the pharmacy has become backed up with other tasks - if you know what I mean. Here's hoping that our intensive isolation will buy us a little time and the shingles vaccine can wait another month.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
Quite a delemma if you do not believe in vaccines.

I have a sister and BIL that are anti-vax. They both have had their lives saved by modern medicine. Go figure.

...Can I go get the two-shot having had the one-shot?

Pretty sure you can. The effectiveness of either wanes after about 5 years AFAIK.

I had my shingles vaccines earlier this fall. It's pretty powerful stuff but worth the few days of discomfort. Shingles in the eyes can lead to blindness.

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I researched this and you are correct - I should have said Medicare supplemental ...I have United Health Care via AARP and there was no charge.

Universal healthcare in Canada - not a lot we need to pay for, but prescriptions, including many elective vaccines are not covered. My private Health Care insurance provider covered 80%. Guess I can live with that, all things considered.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
We had a timing issue with the unmentionable flu and retirement/move to another state. Diane's physician back in Alabama recommended waiting till she was 60. I didn't have a regular physician (and hadn't had one since the 80s). So, when we moved here, we got a doc. Unfortunately, that was just in time for the flu-which-shall-not-be-named. Doc said, wait, get vax for the flu and then get Shingrix.

So, now it is a year later, we've gotten our unmentionable shots and I sez, "Doc, now can we get shingles shots?" He sez, "wait till the flu booster comes out, then get shingrix".

If I get shingles between then and now, I'm punching him in the nose.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
It's as though vaccines are effective tools in preventing terrible illnesses. Hmm...
And, kids that get the chickenpox vaccine not only won't get chickenpox, but won't get shingles later in life, either, except in the rarest of instances.

I actually got chickenpox twice, allegedly--a very mild case when I was little, and then the whole shebang when I was 12 or 13. Suuuucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.