Shingles...not the house kind

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, May 16, 2013.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Anyone here ever have Shingles? My Mom used to get outbreaks every so often. I had chicken pox as a kid, 3rd grade I believe. So know I have the virus active in me (great). Last year, my roommate had a bout with it, but given all of her other issues that came to light as time went on, I have my doubts that she wasn't just "tripping" from too much booze and having some paranoia issues. She kept showing me this rash above her eye that I never saw, but she swore was there.

Anyway, my point is, this morning I have this weird tingling feeling on my left forearm. It's not too painful, or overly itchy. It's not an itch I can scratch, and it's not a pain in the muscle or similar. It's just sort of right there, under the skin, more annoying than anything right now. I'm wondering if I'm at the beginning stages of a Shingles outbreak?? I happen to have a doctor appointment tomorrow, so I'll be sure to mention it to him. But I'm wondering if anyone around here ever had this. If so, do you recall it started out like this? Is there a way for the doc to test it out and treat it before it gets into full swing?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I've had shingles. Could be that's what you've got, I dunno.

Mine was on the side of my neck, creeping up my jaw, and it looked like leprosy or something. Really gross.

Hope you don't have shingles, cause it really sucks

3. tele-rain

Yeah on all accounts I've heard, it's a miserable virus overall. I'm hoping it's not that!

I was also thinking, could be carpal tunnel related. I do have bouts of numbness in my fingers/hands when sleeping sometimes. I try to remember stretches before practicing guitar, but I don't always do that. gonna have to get more serious with that for sure.

4. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Shingles are nasty stuff. I had a bout a couple of years ago and it covered my left eyelid, forehead and the left side of my scalp. I still have some neuropathy on my eyelid and the back of my scalp. The PA said mine was most likely stress induced. As far as I know, there isn't a test for it and according the my doctor, you can only get it once. Usually you'll see a rash or blistering. I had a low grade headache and sore throat during the week and it kicked in the following weekend. No itching initially and I thought I was coming down with a flu bug or something. Anti virals and Tylenol 3 were prescribed and it dried up quickly, but it made it impossible sleep more than an hour at a time because of the discomfort for a couple of weeks. My mother had it last year and was limited to her forearm. She got lucky. Shingles isn't contagious, but you should limit exposure to anyone who hasn't had chicken pox and/or hasn't been innoculated.

5. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

Ive heard stress related as well, heard that forever just like the herpes cold sores we have all had and like to pretend only nasty people carry that. I cannot ever remember getting any of the so called stress induced illnesses either during or after some epic stress episodes. Maybe I was lucky or too preoccupied to notice. :confused:
    Shingles':twisted:
    Isnt there some vaccination for that now? Seems like my Dr. made me get one long time ago as over 50 is a big risk for shingles. I hope I remember that right. My Dr. is a royal PITA when it comes to preventative. On the other hand, Im still alive to complain about him.

6. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I've suffered from cold sores on my lips since childhood, although much less as an adult. A month ago, my darling daughter gave me chicken pox, which was two weeks of complete misery. Now I'm terrified I'll get shingles, which apparently is exceedingly unpleasant. All three conditions are different types herpes viruses (viri?).

There is a shingles vaccine and I'm seriously considering getting that jab. Thanks for reminding me.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Outbreaks can be stress-rated. My father broke out in shingles when my brother married "the wrong girl".

Stress makes me break out in pustular psoriasis on my hands. That's not pretty either. Once I had it when I was applying for citizenship and had to have finger prints made. The technician that took the prints couldn't get a clean set off me.

8. sass35011

sass35011 Tele-Meister

You should have that 'tingling' checked out at your Dr appt. I've had two bouts with shingles, neither of which were any fun. There is a vaccine for it, but most insurance will not cover it unless you are 60 yrs old. My shingles outbreaks have been on my arms and legs, I wore long sleeves and pants until it was over. There is prescription medicine and it is not expensive. In my case, it looked worse that it felt.

9. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I can vouch for this. My wife had them for a time, REALLY no fun at all. I agree that they are stress related; I think that is what happened w/ my wife. There was significant stress related to my son's early life, and it activated a case of shingles. She also gave the boy chicken pox in the process; hoo-boy that was a fun time. Not! :)

OTOH, if you have tingling in your extremities, that may well be something else. As others have said, get it checked out; Carpal Tunnel isn't hard to diagnose. BTW general odd aches and pains that come and go from time to time are just another benefit of getting older :cool:

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Could be overexposure to Bayonne. :twisted:

It's not like the Good Old Days before they bulldozed the dye factory out on 440. Back then the acid vapor used to waft in from Newark's aptly named Ironbound District. Acid is used in all sorts of plating processes.

They boarded up the old Great Eastern right next to Jersey City's sewage treatment plant. Turns out it was built on a toxic dump.

You still have paint manufacturing on Doremus Avenue in South Kearny. Next street over leads to the South Kearny sewage treatment plant famous for its strawberry scented poo. Same stuff they dump into the bay upstream of the park where Bayonne residents haul in big blue green Baltimore style crabs.

The EPA kinda rides herd on the whole mess. All bets are off after dark or when it's raining. Those are good times to shovel the nasty stuff into your incinerators.

I've been to the EPA's regional field office in Edison. Let's just say I'm not impressed.

Bayonne Barrel and Drum used to be right off the exit just after the Skyway. The EPA paperwork eventually cleared and it's gone without a trace. Don't grow turnips in that soil. :rolleyes:

Bottom line... what's a little rash? As long as you're not mutating into The Swamp Thing or The Toxic Avenger you're probably o.k.. :D

Attached Files:

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had stress induced shingles at age 40, and they weren't too bad, but they were painful and itchy at the same time. Some people have severe pain with them, so they are no joke. Breakouts occur along the nerve pathways, hence the pain since it is right on your nerves.

One key symptom that doctors use to diagnose shingles besides significant pain is that they are almost always completely on one side of the body or the other- left or right. If you are experiencing symptoms on both sides of your body, then it's usually something else. If it is surprisingly painful, much more than any other rash you ever had, and restricted to one side of the body, then 999 out of 1000 times it's shingles.

12. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Yes, there is a vaccination that has a high percentage of stopping an outbreak.

My dad had stage 4 lung cancer (and other cancers) that caused intense pain, but he said it was NOTHING compared to the shingles pain he had.

Get a shot if you haven't already.

13. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

Go to the Doctor.

I had an outbreak at 29 years old. The Doc said it was surprising that I had it so badly at such a young age. I was very, very stressed -- my car was stolen, my band was one fight after another, and my boss had a mental breakdown he took out on his staff. It was pretty rough.

My back got the worst of the sores. It was very painful and I remember one of my nipples literally felt like someone had a lit cigarette on it.

The Dr. said that once you have chicken pox, the virus remains dormant in your body. This is why once you have chicken pox, you almost never get it again. Shingles occurs when the body is (so) stressed that the dormant virus begins to "seep" out of your body, causing the sores, etc.

I've had many sports injuries that involved using painkillers, but I can honestly say that nothing compared to actually "needing" the meds like shingles.

14. tele-rain

You mean....YET! :p :eek:

These thoughts did actually cross my mind when I started looking into the area, though I didn't do much research. Reason being, whenever I research ANYTHING, I find the results overwhelming and hard to decipher what's safe/legit/or just paranoia driven. So, I figure I gotta go sometime, and I gotta live somewhere in the meantime. Whatever happens, happens.

What exactly are those oil tanker things along 440? They sort of remind me of those movies where you see people with a nuclear power plant in their backyard. Same thing with the windmill. I do like the idea of wind power, but not sure if I'd want to have that thing that close to my house. There's a row of homes where it's literally in their backyard. I don't know how they zone for these things, but I would have guess it should be at least a mile or 3 away from residential areas, but obviously not.

But

15. tele-rain

Back on topic, I will mention it to the doctor tomorrow. I don't feel it as much as I did this morning, so maybe it was a bit of having slept on it "wrong" and the nerves acting up a bit.

I haven't felt myself being overly stressed these days, but some of my older "anxious" symptoms have been re-occurring sometimes. it could be that I think I'm not stressed but I really am.

We'll see what the doc says.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've had shingles outbreak numerous times. Definitely not a 1 time affliction, in my case. Usually isolated around my eyelid/nose. Mine have always had the tingling or burning sensation previous to the blisters showing. I've gotten to the point where I can recognize the feeling before the outbreak & get on top of it as far as whatever treatment I use. In the last 20 years or so, I've found those Boron/Borax homeopathic remedies available at Whole Foods work really well at relieving the symptoms quickly.

Above all, let your Dr diagnose you. Pretty lucky having an appointment at the ready. I've heard from friends that have had debilitating outbreaks. Get it checked.

17. muchxs

Ignorance truly is bliss. Unfortunately it's impossible to un-know stuff. Otherwise "four out of five doctors recommend Camels to their patients who smoke", better living through chemistry and all that etc..

It's six of one, half a dozen of another. You can live within sight of Newark, NJ or move off to No Work, VT. There actually is a Newark, VT. It's effin' cold there...

...and there's no work. :rolleyes:

Well you have the uptown tanks and the downtown tanks. The uptown tanks have been there forever. An old Italian gentleman used to keep animals on pasture between the uptown tanks, critters like goats and Sicilian donkeys...

There have been various scams invoving the uptown tanks, stuff like sales of oil that wasn't actually there. Going back to the old Standard Oil days there was some sort of scandal involving oil sales to Germany. It was supposed to be in those tanks. Way before my time.

Downtown... I'm tryin' to remember what's there. I think DuPont has a plant down there. Seems to me Mobil has a storage facility down there.

Zoning wise these things have been there forever and are grandfathered. As real estate prices skyrocketed all sorts of developments sprung up in places where maybe there shouldn't be houses.

It's probably from contact with the armrest on the bus. EEWWWwwwWW!!! :D

18. tele-rain

Ahh interesting stuff! I keep trying to learn about the area. It seems like it's in a moving forward phase, as evidenced by the development along 440, for one thing. Also they are "raising the bridge" starting at the end of this year. Apparently it's been a problem to not have certain tall ships able to pass under it. I read the community paper and it seems like they are doing a lot all over the areas to attract more commuters into Hoboken and NYC. Which is exactly why I chose the area. I just hope it doesn't become too big for its britches and they jack up the rental / owning prices. My rent is decent but still a bit tight for me. Still living paycheck to paycheck. I mean, I can take more steps to be thrifty, buy more food to prepare myself rather than buying lunch and take-out dinners. I am trying though! Of course that's not the City of Bayonne's problem, but still.

Armrest on the bus, well I've spent about 15+ years riding all sorts of NJ Transit buses and trains...it's probably untraceable at this point :p

19. muchxs

That's a cool bridge to ride bicycle on.

You're up over the railing on the pedestrian walkway and it's a long way down. The pedestrian walkway has a little dogleg at the middle of the bridge. It deviates from the main deck of the bridge and becomes a catwalk with very little but a clear view of the water on either side.

Fittingly enough that's the way to get from Bayonne to Staten Island...

Thing about Bayonne is it's not Hoboken or even Jersey City. It's just far enough away from Manhattan that various urban professional types are put off by the commute.

Its geography plays a big part in it. It's a peninsula. It's divided from Jersey City by the Turnpike and a strip of about half a dozen railroad tracks. There's that big ol' railroad bridge paralell to the Turnpike that connects Jersey City to Newark by rail. There used to be massive rail yards on the Jersey side of New York Harbor. Freight would come in from out West. Some of it would get loaded on to barges and floated over to Manhattan. Residential and industrial mixed seamlessly back then. They actually made things in Manhattan.

Anyway... access from the north is restricted. You have Kennedy Boulevard and Broadway connecting to Jersey City. Broadway virtually dumps out at the Turnpike entrance. Oh... 169 goes all the way through now. It didn't used to. 440 had a gap. It used to cross under the Turnpike from the Jersey City end with a ramp to the Boulevard.

The other end of town has the Bayonne Bridge.

It might as well be an island. Then again that doesn't seem to slow Manhattan down...

Betcha there's still cheap rent in Newark. :D

20. Quarterpounder

Quarterpounder Tele-Meister

I had chicken pox at 3 months old, almost died. Got shingles at 10 years old(way to young) I remember having itchy spots on the backs of my knees, not that bad. At 39 this year, bad shingles! on my back and legs. Bumps and rashes. Very stressful times brought it on according to my doctor. Lost both my parents and a close friend all in a year and a half. Takes a long time to heal. I get funny phantom pains randomly any where on my body. No fun at all! Some people claim it never really goes away, I'm starting to believe them. Mental and physical health both play a part. I think they gave me Valtrex that worked really well on my back, but not my legs. Still kind of a mystery. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.