Shielding

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by solofiddle, Dec 10, 2019.

1. solofiddle

solofiddle TDPRI Member

I am dealing with some hum issues with a partscaster I am working on. I am learning more about how to help prevent these issues, such as using reflective tape inside the control cavities. But if you are trying to keep out unwanted interference to your guitar electronics, wouldn’t you want the reflective side pointing outward instead of inward? Just wondering.

2. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I would recommend that you line the inside of the control cavity with copper shielding tape. Overlap the pieces a bit so there’s no gaps. Leave a little “tab” at the edge of the cavity that can make mechanical contact with the control plate or shielding on the pick guard (shield it, too!). Envision that you’re making a little copper box for all your electronics. Don’t forget to connect the copper box to ground. I usually do that with an eyelet on a ground wire screwed into/through the shielding in an out of the way spot to keep things tidy. Lastly, the shiny side doesn’t matter. :)

3. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Which way it is facing doesn’t matter. It simply should be between what you are shielding and what you are shielding it from.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

The shielding doesn't reflect RF/EMI--it ambushes it before it can get to the signal path and shunts the noise to ground.

schmee likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Shielding (and for static pickguards):

Ensure your bridge is grounded.

Shield the pickup cavities and the control cavity with metal tape. Aluminum from the hardware store is fine. Just do the easy shielding, it doesn't need to be 100% , just a wide rectangular strip under the pickup and control is fine. Carry the shield out of the cavity and over the top edge a bit... maybe 1/8". Just so the pickguard tape contacts this.

Make sure all the pots are grounded together, take that ground to a small solder tab in or near the bridge pickup cavity. Solder the bridge ground wire to this tab also. This little tab is screwed thru the Aluminum tape into the body for contact. (Fender uses this tab... on their better guitars anyway.) You could just use wires around a screw.
    [​IMG]

Put the Aluminum tape on the back of the pickguard if there is none. The goal is to have this tape contact the cavity tape (where it bends over the top of the cavity edge) when the pickguard is screwed down and thus grounding thru the little solder tab.

Here's what I have done additionally for hum :
    use a shielded wire from the input jack to the pot. (this is for hum elimination if you need it) Ground only one end of the shield portion of the wire.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

FWIW, I had issues with a partscaster several years ago. Shielding helped some, but only some. Don't forget to eliminate fluorescent lights, etc. Anyway, I moved to a new house and my issues went away. Quiet as can be. Just saying that sometimes it's not the guitar.

7. solofiddle

solofiddle TDPRI Member

Until I get it sorted out, I tried this Pyle hum eliminatinor I had and it worked! Still trying to judge how/if it is affecting the tone, but it totally cleaned things up! A Pinecaster, awaiting a custom label still, but sounding great. No truss rod.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.