Shielding

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rusty Shackelford, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford TDPRI Member

I have hum that changes intensity depending on the orientation of the guitar so I'm going to install copper tape shielding throughout. I see some people on YouTube installing the shielding on the undersides of the control plate and the bridge - surely this is superfluous, correct? The thicker steel or aluminum pieces are already acting as shields. Photo grabbed from a YouTube video

Attached Files:

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah those are shields in effect themselves. Be sure to shield the back of the pickguard and wrap the cavity shield around the top a bit so it contacts the pickguard shield. Make sure those get grounded to the bridge ground wire and pots etc too.

Rusty Shackelford likes this.
  3. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I have all single coil PU's in all 5 of my guitars. No hum issues in any of them even with plenty of gain. Here's how anal I am about shielding. :twisted:

sheilding.jpg shieldingwork.jpg

srvbluezz and Rusty Shackelford like this.
  4. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Do you own your won copper mine or something? WOW!

5. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

It's cheap to buy really and I don't like hum. Do it right is how I like to roll.

6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried a different lead? Had the same problem once, tried a different lead, hum gone.

7. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat TDPRI Member

My strat is in the shop now getting a full foil treatment. I know it’s beaten to death if it effects tone or not but I’m getting paranoid about it, I always do when my guitar is in the shop. It’s removable if I don’t like it correct ? To the original poster good luck with yours

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

make sure all of the shields are tied together and make solid contact I even shielded the jack cavity and soldered a ground wire to the body shield as for the pickup /bridge plate make sure there is continuity through out the body ( test with a multimeter ) or the feraday box will not be sealed ,I also looked for breaks and cracks in the shielding and soldered those up as well

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.