Shielding wood chassis?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by A13X, May 22, 2020.

1. A13X

A13X TDPRI Member

Hello, I posted this elsewhere but I think I was in the wrong section.

I've ordered a (beginners) byo tube amp kit and I would like to make wood chassis for it. Would copper shielding tape be acceptable to use in it, or would that be too thin?

Thanks for any advice.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Shock Bros. Is the amp building forum, you can no doubt get your question answered there.
    Good luck and Welcome.

A13X likes this.
  3. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Shielding tape is ideal. Thickness is of no consequence. Aluminium or copper, makes no difference.

A13X likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Some builders use cheap aluminum window screen (staple it into place). It works just as well, and dissipates heat better than foil.

Another option is rolled aluminum flashing. Cheap and widely available. Easy to cut to shape, it lays perfectly flat, and it staples in place like the screen.

No matter what you use, be sure to have positive mechanical/electrical continuity across the chassis common ground and the shielding.

A13X likes this.
  5. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Wood chassis? Interesting.
    How are you going to mount tube sockets, pots, jacks etc?

A13X likes this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

A wood chassis is also not going to dissipate ANY heat. There's a reason they've been using aluminum and steel since forever. It would also have to be pretty thin to mount tub sockets.

If you pull the rear panel off the vintage tweed amps you'll see there's a nice layer of asbestos for heat shielding to protect the wood, and the tweed is often discolored a bit on the power tube side.

I'd recommend just getting a regular chassis, especially if this is for a first build, or is this not a standard amp where there is a chassis ready with all the cutouts in place already? If not, you'll find making the chassis, out of any material, will likely take as long as building the electronics portion.

King Fan likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

sorry, but from the short description you have given, this is BAD idea. There is no upside, and there is plenty of downside.

You should reconsider this.

8. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

flinstonerecord.jpg

9. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

It would work but I would prefer to see something like the hifi guys do, a metal sheet that the sockets and transformers.

[​IMG]

DrPepper, FenderLover and corliss1 like this.
  10. A13X

A13X TDPRI Member

well, I was thinking of making those portions rather thin. I'm a wood craftsman, and have the ability to do it, but admittedly there are plenty of things to work out when I finally have the kit...I'm not sure if my initial plan will work.

Definitely taking this into deep consideration. Perhaps I can dream up some solutions, but you may be correct. Ultimately I was hoping to have an amp head tubes pointing up and on display. The chassis for this particular kit, puts the tubes in the back side, transformers up front. not the look I'm going for but looks aren't everything.
    At this point I certainly am!
    Absolutely love this idea, this just may be the solution I need.

Thank you all so much for the direction!

11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

there's nothing wrong with having an idea, and it is good that you are thinking of new and different ways of building your amp.

12. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Here’s what I would do if I wanted to get as close as possible to a wood chassis.
    I’d build it as pictured here (pic first posted above by printer2). I would lay out everything on the metal plate, cult/drill all holes you need, then disassemble. Grab whatever veneer you want to use, lay it down and adhere it, then drill/cut the holes out from below.
    As for the control panel, you can run a metal strip behind the wood and the ground that to the main chassis.

Main problem I see with the control panel is the thickness of the wood. You will need pot couplers/extenders or extra long shaft pots.

13. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Sorry duplicate post.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.