1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

shielding question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by pforsell, Aug 9, 2012.

1. pforsell

pforsell TDPRI Member

Hi All. I have been shielding some guitar with copper shielding tape. It is my understanding that you have to ground the pot to the copper tape. I know that the pot comes to contact with the copper but typically, I have been soldering a wire from the top of the pot to the copper shielding. It seems a little sloppy but is that the way you're supposed to do it? Just wondering what I'm supposed to connect to the copper shielding or what other people do so that it is properly grounded. Thanks in advance. Pete

2. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

The shielding must be connected to "ground".

"Ground" is in normal convention wiring, anywhere connected to the 'ring' on your output jack. So yes, in most cases the back of a pot is usually connected to "ground"..... Unless some moron (not you) has screwed up.

4. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

If the current wiring uses the back of a pot as the ground point, you do not need to solder a wire from the pot to the shielding. As long at the pot is in contact with the shielding (either through a pickguard that has shielding tape on it, or through the control plate contacting the shielding) you are good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.