1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Shielding question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JSMac, Dec 2, 2020.

1. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

Hey all,

I'm putting together a partscaster and have decided to shield it with copper tape. In one tutorial that I watched, the guy applied tape to the control plate and the bridge plate. I wonder if that is really necessary since the are already conductive. The control plate will make contact with the cavity shielding tape and I will ground the bridge with a wire from a pot.

Any info will be appreciated.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

For a tele the control plate and bridge are metal. They do not need metal tape. They just need to make electrical contact with the rest of the shielding. (Faraday cage.)

3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have applied it to plastic pickguards and such, but don't see where it would do anything on any conductive plate. I think it would be a waste of time and copper... You don't even need to use copper as supposedly aluminum foil works as well. But I use copper for the aesthetics of copper. If you use adhesive foil, make sure the adhesive is conductive.

WARNING: When working with any foil, when you start smoothing it down, the edges will cut you like a razor! Consider using a cotton glove or I use the barrel of a Sharpie pen to get many of the corners and knock the edges down before I use my fingers with any force.

Mleffler1, SuprHtr and tubelectron like this.
  4. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

@Lowerleftcoast is right. Just make sure the inner surfaces aren't tarnished.

(Also, note, it's a shielded box. A Faraday cage has two layers. To be a nerd about it. :rolleyes:)
    Edit: Well, apparently a single layer shielded box is considered a Faraday cage, too. All the ones we use for RF testing are two layer boxes (or rooms). The second layer separated by an insulator improves the effectiveness.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  5. Lowerleftcoast

IDK if this will interest you.
    I wind pickups. I usually run a shield of more turns around a single coil winding. Similarly, back in the day a tech would surround the winding with copper which you can do. The copper shield would have to make electrical contact with ground. If you have a shielded pickup cover it performs the same function. I find it does help.

Boreas and SRHmusic like this.
  6. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

Thanks all. I ran a solid copper wire through the body to the cavity and will tape that down. I'll do the same through the other holes that connect the cavities.

001.JPG

7. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Its not. just make sure those pieces connect to ground in some fashion

8. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would use stranded so you can flatten the exposed end. The bridge will sit better

Boreas and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  9. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

That’s a good point. I can separate the strands so the bridge lays flatter.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  10. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

So, like this. I'll tape down the wire under the bridge then I'll ground the other end to a pot.

003.JPG

11. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

For continuity between the cavities, can I run wires between them and tape down the bare ends? Would soldering them be better? And what about the holes that connect the cavities?

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Two conductors separated by an insulator... you're either making a capacitor or a really big Leyden Jar.

OP: Use the pickguard and other ground wires to make your cage connections.

You can also use aluminum flashing tape (Nashua) instead of copper. Copper gets used because of Instagram photo takers (and those who like to solder wires to their shielding). I saw some computer and cell phone research papers a while back where they had better performance of noise suppression with aluminum than copper. Those who need the details can google.

OP: Make sure you use shielded cable from the volume pot to the jack. Otherwise you'll have an exposed antenna outside your carefully constructed Faraday Cage. You use shielded cable from the guitar to the amp for a reason.

13. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You don't have to run wires - you can just run a strip of copper tape between the cavities. I don't worry about the holes, but you can wrap any wires where they pass through with tape as well.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I've used both aluminum and copper. Aluminum gives better RF shielding, but is really a PIA to solder. Copper solders easily with rosin core electronic solder and a 25 watt pencil. If you don't have experience soldering aluminum, use copper.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

This. Aluminum seems to do a better job at rejecting other types of noise such as buzz that you always seem to get near fluorescent lights or neon signs. Plus, it's a lot less than copper, just a couple bucks at your friendly neighborhood home improvement store, and is conductive between layers. You can get it in the plumbing section near the ductwork:
    IMG_0002.JPG
    Copper is prettier, but nobody should see your shielding anyhow.

tubelectron likes this.
  16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I use Aluminium too :

[​IMG]

Below is my Squier CV50 2020 circuit (the cavity of the bridge PU is also alu-shielded - not shown here). I manage also to make a simple, short and logical wiring as possible. Twisted wires are less sensitive to induction and interferences, when a shielded cable can't be used.

[​IMG]

That said, the Hosco DM-30 selector proves to be a scrachy junk one : I'll have to replace it !

-tbln.

17. Lowerleftcoast

If the pickups have shielded wire running through those holes the signal is shielded. If the pickups have individual wires then twist them like in the photo above.

Boreas likes this.
  18. SRHmusic

19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I hate using tape , inductive paint have always worked fine for me.
    The last few partscasters havent even had any shielding. I dont usually have any trouble around here

20. SRHmusic

What paint to you use and where do you buy it? I ended up doing copper tape on my last build as I had some in the drawer, but would like to start using the paint. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.