1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Shielding needed or not?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Andy M, Jun 3, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All of my guitars except my gold top have humbuckers.
    None are shielded.
    All (except the Paul) are dead quiet.
    Shielding seems to help a little bit with single coils.
    I can’t tolerate hum/noise.
    I’m not going to shield the Les Paul.
    I’m looking into other options to eradicate the hum.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Use shielded cable from the volume pot to the jack.
    Twisting pickup wires does nothing except look interesting.
    Flashing tape works the best for the cavity shielding, paint is problematic but it's fast for the factories.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I wear my tin foil hat when playing but never shield my cavities.

4. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I vote against shielding every time.

Texas Special likes this.
  5. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I've read a lot of threads about shielding, many were filled with doubt about it's worth. I am undecided, shielded my first guitar and it's noisy as hell. I'm shielding the Jazzmaster I'm working on now just because.

One thing I did was cut an aluminum plate out of one of those metal caution signs Home depot and Lowes have. Cheap, thin and easy to cut. Only did this because I put some white backing paper behind my see through tort to make it pop., the shield will keep the paper from sagging into the top routes . This one was a "DANGER HARD HAT AREA" sign, big enough for a Jazz pickguard. It will contact the taped areas in the routes and ground all the pots and switches.

jazz pg shield DANGER.JPG

SuprHtr, tubelectron, SbS and 2 others like this.
  6. eddnix

eddnix Tele-Meister

Horses for courses, I wear my tin foil undies when playing and they always shield my ca... I'll get 'me coat.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

Just to add my opinion. As a person that owns and makes a fair few guitars. I've tried shielding. Yes, it may cut down noise a little with single coils. But! Personally, I have noticed a slight change of sound. Every time I've done this, I have ALWAYS removed it. For me, I just prefer the tone without the shielding. It's only a slight change, but I'd stick with the noise. Please don't ask for me to quantify the difference. But there is.

8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Plus, serve as fair warning!

61fury likes this.
  9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

imagine the mojo too

tubegeek likes this.
  10. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I don't have to imagine it - I can see it!

61fury likes this.
  11. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

Terry McInturff (McInturff Guitars) says that shielding definitely changes the sound, but for the better. He considers any capacitive effect to be negligible, but the the RFI effect to be notable.

Now, some of us pay a lot of money for distortion effects, and it's entirely possible (assuming Terry is correct) that a bit of RFI spices things up in a positive way for you. I've seen experiments with hi-fi amplifiers (single ended) where small amounts of odd order distortion are injected into the signal and people prefer it (to a point).

So the question boils down to what does shielding take away and do you like it. I think you're going to find as many opinions as there are people.

As far as shielding paint is concerned, some folks on The Gear Page have gotten hip to MG Chemicals Supershield (the nickel variety ... silver is pricey and unnecessary). It's cheaper and less messy than the carbon paint. I have yet to use it, but you can find it on Mouser and Digikey if you're interested.

... Thom

12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

But it should be pointed out that MG Chemicals recommends their carbon paint for shielding guitars. The nickel and silver versions are for high frequency shielding as in 10 MHZ and up.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/white-papers/about-emi-and-rfi

https://www.mgchemicals.com/product.../838ar-total-ground-carbon-conductive-coating

838AR is excellent for creating grounded surfaces and in low frequency RFI shielding applications, such as pickup cavities on electric guitars.

13. tt8

tt8 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Was shielding used in vintage 50s/60s telecasters? If so, was it paint or tape or foil?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.