Shielding/Grounding Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SixStringSlinger, Jun 15, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry if this is basic. I've researched a bit, found a few things that talk around my question and I think I have an feel for the answer, but I want to ask it straight-out here and see what you all say.

I'm wiring up a Jazzmaster, on which all the parts that are wired to each other are mounted onto the pickguard, aside from the pickups.

Ignoring the pickups for now, if the entire bottom of the pickguard is covered in copper tape (and therefore all the components are essentially mounted onto the tape), do I also need to run a cable to ground? My impression is no, since the copper tape already connects all the parts.

Bringing the pickups back into it, where then should I wire the pickups' ground wires?

2. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Normally the pickups are grounded to a pot case.
    If the pots are grounding to the copper sheet (use a multimeter to check), you don't need to ground the copper sheet (they are grounded by the pot case).
    The cavity of the guitar body also needs to be completely shielded with copper foil, otherwise it's just a waste of time and money.

3. SixStringSlinger

So if I shield the pickguard and cavity, and ground the pickups to the pot, I should be good? If so, does it matter which pot? And can they both be on the same pot?

4. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Doesn't matter which pot, but preferrably use the one pot for all ground connections, to avoid ground loops.

When shielding the cavity, make sure to have a few mm of shielding on the top surface of the guitar, so it can connect well with the pickguard shielding. Electromagnetic noise is like water, trying to get in wherever it can.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  5. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Is the copper tape electrically continuous ? eg is the adhesive conductive (it should be). Check with a multimeter to be sure. A Jazzmaster's output jack is mounted on the pickguard. If its rim (ground) contacts the copper, then the copper is grounded too. Any pots also contacting the grounded copper will also be grounded by it.

To any ground point. As can be seen here, Fender often grounds JM pickups to the cavity ground.
    https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/011-2200-800A_SISD.pdf

BorderRadio and SixStringSlinger like this.
  6. SixStringSlinger

Thanks, guys. I shielded the back of the pickguard with copper tape, as well as the lip of the body cavity (the cavity is painted with shielding paint, so I figured I only needed enough copper tape to form a bridge between the pickguard and the pain). Then I soldered all the ground wires to the volume pot. Things went from serious hum to near dead silent. Thanks again!

7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

With the body having shielding paint there should be a ground wire running from the controls to the route in the body.

With that contact you don't need to add anything else.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

Yeah, that was my original intention, but I couldn't find similar ring terminals to those originally in the guitar (and I'm sure I would have destroyed the original ones in trying to re-use them).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.