Shellac/Nitro?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by jjpish68, Feb 14, 2012.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Filling the pores prior to applying a finish allows for a perfectly smooth finish. Do you see how the finish sinks into the grain on yours? It's not a bad thing per se, but some prefer a perfectly smooth glass like finish.

2. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Ah thanks banana. That is what I was going for. It looked to me as though Springsteen's finish sinks in to the grain. I do want it to look and feel aged even if I do not relic it out severe.

3. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

I like the color you have alot. Remember that clear nitro will add a touch of amber over time. It's not quite as orange as Springsteen's in the photo so you might want to keep going with the orange if you want a perfect match. But Springsteen's looks too orange to me. I have never seen another vintage Tele in that color. I think it must have been refinished at some point. Any idea what the history is?

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

5. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Thanks Six Shooter but I think I am going to stop with the color at this point. It is close enough for my eyes. I got myself in trouble last round pushing the color. I am going to let it sit then do a light wetsanding and apply a few light coats of clear sealer. After I let it sit and cure I will then shoot it with nitro. After that I will consider a light relicing like in the photos.

I am going with the man under the lightpost PG and the three saddle bridge so too much relicing pushes it into another timeframe. Although it is a "tribute" and not a replica I could do just about anything I want with it and make it right in my mind...

Thanks
    Joe

6. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

So far 3 coats of clear sealer on the front and 2 on the back with light wetsanding oil/800 between coats. Not sure if I need another coat of amber/orange mix just to darker it up a bit or not. So do you all still suggest topping it off with nitro when the shellac is done? The more I look at this the less I want to relic it. It is coming out a lot better than I expected...now that I slowed down and learned from my mistakes.
    The color on the back and front are the same, I took the pic closer with my cell phone of the front than the back and got more flash on the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Took a couple under natural lighting conditions this morning before I left for work. Those spots on the bottom are just my shadow...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Which Nitro would you suggest and where can I get it? I have read in posts to stay away from Deft and I saw that in Lowes today. Suggestions...

Thanks
    Joe

9. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Huh? What's wrong with "Deft"???????????????????????????

10. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

I don't know...I have been reading up alot on the next step and have read negative posts about deft and it taking forever to setup etc... I know some of you that have posted in this thread have worked with it so trying to get the "skinny" on it.

11. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Some have had success with Deft, but based on some negative reviews I've read on this forum, I avoid it. I only use ReRanch lacquer because it's easy to apply and I like the feel of the finished product. To me, it's worth the shipping wait time and cost.

A store-bought lacquer I'd consider (but haven't used) is Minwax, the one that comes in the black can. I've seen some guys here turn out some nice finishes with that, and apparently it dries good and hard.

12. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Reranch nitro.

13. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

I use the Watco brushing lacquer thinned and sprayed. They have aerosols of it too. I never had good results from Deft. The Watco builds up better and dries hard.

14. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Here's the latest. Did some relicing...Not sure why the wear on the fron came out light in the picture because it is as dark as I would want... It is stating to come along I am now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to start putting this thing back together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Well I am done. I am really happy with how it ended up. Certainly worth the extra time to zone in on the color. Thank You all for your help.

And it plays great. This one will be my favorite for a while:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

What's with that huge string tree?

17. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Well in my research "The Boss" had a string tree off a Fender Bass in that position. So now I do as well. Not sure what his reasoning was...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.