Shellac/Nitro?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by jjpish68, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Thanks Sixshooter. I have pm'd bossaholic a few times and he gave me some tips and tried to help describe the color the best he could after going to the HOF twice to visit Bruce's guitar, he did do a really nice job.

I started to thin out with denatured alcohol, I am lightening it up trying not to go to bare wood again if at all possible. It is looking real good in spots. I will take it slow and save what I can...the saving grace is that Bruce's guitar is not uniform so this might play out nice for me...

Thanks

2. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

thanks!

actually from the pics, it looks like you came pretty close.
    doesnt zinsser also have a non- amber version of this as well?
    i think ive seen it- but maybe i didnt lol.
    perhaps tweaking the added orange dye, and the coats of the amber shellac
    you can achieve what you want, then do a few coats of the clear/blonde shellac.

i once did a neck in the amber shellac, but by the time i got enough coats on it, the finish was too dark for my liking. it gets darker with each coat, so if i had stopped when i liked the colour, then added coats of the clear, it wouldve been fine (theoretically).

3. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

The Bullseye Seal Coat is more of a neutral color. It's very light on it's own, yet will bring out grain where necessary. You could tint it I suppose. Go lighter this time please. lol

The plus side is that it's dewaxed. Buy it at HD or Lowes...same as most other stuff.

4. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

5. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

I think you are fine with the amber shellac. When you get it close to where you want it, top it with some non tinted dewaxed shellac and then nitro. The nitro will add a touch of yellow to it especially as it ages.

BTW, Bruce's guitar looks like it has been refinished. You don't see that color on any other early Tele's. If this is true, did he use shellac? It was a popular finish back in the day so it seems pretty likely.

6. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

I am on my way...The denatured alcohol is taking off the layers. Since I will never be able to get an even color (although some variation would be ok for this project) I am taking it all the way down to bare and starting from scratch. Yippie!!!!!:D

So do I want to age the worn spots with the vinegar/tea before I start applying tthe shellac or do I shellac the entire body them lightly relic it and expose those areas and age at the end?

Thanks
    Joe

7. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

I have used the Zinnser amber shellac under nitro several times with no issues. I do thin it with denatured alcohol though and put it on in thin layers.

8. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    I put this pic in my reply above, but it disappeared.

9. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Thank You sacizob, I like that. If I do anything to the fretboard that is how I would like it to look. Can you give some details as to how you did that?

Thanks
    Joe

10. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

OK so I got all the shellac off front/back/sides. Now I am going to let it dry and start sanding and get it ready for the next round. I wnet to lowes today and got Zinsser Amber Shellac more denatured alcohol and the Zinsser wax free sealer. I am ready to start fresh. I went a little crazy with the black stain in that one spot on the last round but it is under the PG so I am not so worried about it although I will try to lighten it before I start shellacing.

I have decided I am going to just concentrate on getting the color I want and a nice uniform look. Once I am done if I want I will then worry about the relicing. I just might decide not I just don't know yet....Born to Run or somewhere between Born to Run and Darkness or Born in the USA.

[​IMG]

11. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

JJ, I just sent you the info.

12. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Ok so I sanded it down and will now starting with a clean slate. I think it cleaned up pretty darn good for what it looked like just two days ago.

So I have a new plan and will give it the "old college try" again. Hope it works out a little better this time and yes I have learned from my mistakes I will go easy on the color this time.... ;)

Thanks everyone for your help and I will post update pics as I work through the process.

Thanks
    Joe
    [​IMG]

13. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

So this is where I am so far. Three very light coats of Zinsser Amber Shellac with a drop of Orange dye and cut with denatured alcohol. What a difference cutting with the alcohol, I did not do that last time, the shellac is so much easier to work with.

So this is what I am going for and this is what I have so far. Thoughts/sugggestions.
    Thanks
    Joe
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Mixed up another batch for this last coat. Added another drop of orange. I think I have it where I want it. Once I put on a few coats of the clear sealer and then shoot it with nitro it should be there, What do you all think?

Thanks
    Joe
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

also what year was the picture taken?> they like to alter pictures now a days so who knows how close you are to his guitar in person.
    chris.

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

This one is pine with nitro lacquer over shellac mixed from flakes. The shellac is a mixture of super blonde and garnet flakes. I built this in 2007 and these pics are from 2008 so there is more wear on it now. I did not intentionally relic the guitar. I level sanded and polished with micro mesh as soon as I could and started playing it as soon as it was dry enough to handle. The lacquer took on dust and finger oil and then the top coat of lacquer wore away from playing it a lot. It was unintentional... I was just impatient and wanted to play the bejeebus out of me newly built guitar. the wear on the neck is done the old way with fingers playing music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  17. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

great looking guitar ( i want to find a old piece of pine. local if possible from a old home stead no luck so far ). its cool to see so many desert rats on this forum.
    chris.

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd say you just about nailed it. Or close enough so's unless you got the two guitars side by side, nobody's going to see a difference. And maybe not even then.
    Good job. Way to hang in there and work your way out of a tight spot, coming up smelling like a rose. Shellac is a great finish, it's satisfying to mix up a batch of flakes with alcohol, mix it up, (and you can dewax it yourself by letting it sit so the wax settles out), and play with different "cuts".

19. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

The color looks pretty close! I have to ask, though, are you planning on filling the pores of the ash?

20. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Thank you Startenstein

Bullfrog, fill the pores?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.