Shellac cure time...

SamBooka

Tele-Afflicted
I am in canada and am pretty limited with what I can get/afford easily.

I am finishing the headstock only on a maple neck (so maple headstock).

I thinned and sprayed on a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac a week ago. Have not touched it since.

I am very happy with the shade and am eager to start spraying on the nitro lacquer coats to build it up before putting on the decal.

It has been a week, is that enough cure time in a room where the temp is usually above 68F ? Some sources say 24hrs.. some say 30 days. I dont know and I cant really screw it up since I have only one decal :D

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Shellac dries quickly, a week should be fine. I've sprayed lacquer over shellac the next day.

Vizcaster

Poster Extraordinaire
As long as the shellac was fresh and didn't have time in the can to absorb moisture from the air, it should cure very quickly because all it needs to do is let the solvent flash off. Shellac is an "evaporative" finish while most other finishes will undergo some chemical curing when exposed to oxygen. If the shellac wasn't fresh, it would not have dried hard. When you hit it with some fine sandpaper (what are you using to smooth out runs or defects between coats, 400? 600?) the dried shellac should yield a white powder instead of gobbing up the sandpaper. I've top-coated over shellac the same day with no issues.