Shaving with a safety razor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, May 16, 2015.

1. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I started using a safety razor a couple months ago. I won't say it gives me a closer shave, you have to go over the same area multiple times, more than the multiple blade razor I used to use.
    But overall I do like it better. I like the fact that I've got at least three years worth of blades for the price of what four months worth of blades used to cost me.
    It seems to be more gentle on my skin, the sharp blade means you don't have to press as hard.
    If there are any bumps on your face the single blade safety razor will smooth them out. Keep tissue or band aids close.
    Also, twice this week, when I was rummaging around the drawer where I keep the razor I've sliced my fingers twice. Purchase one of those hangers that sits on top of the sink area.

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

^^^^ I don't think they shave closer either, but I like the way they hold the heat. I originally went back to them because I was starting getting shaving rash from disposables, I think it might have helped.

3. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

Buy yourself a styptic pencil. They are really cheap and they stop any slight nicks from bleeding just by dabbing the end of the pencil on the cut.

Look it up on google if you don't already know what I'm talking about.

4. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

6. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

I switched to straight razor wet shaving years ago. I highly recommend it. Srp forum is the place to be

7. colinsthename

colinsthename Tele-Meister

Have you ever gotten a straight razor/safety razor shave? You'd be surprised at the difference. I've tried numerous different electric razors, and have never been happy with any of them. It also doesn't take that much longer, once you get your routine down. Maybe ten-fifteen minutes? It's well worth taking some time to yourself, relax with a nice shave. I can't imagine anyone would do THAT much more with their day if they had ten extra minutes. Browse Facebook? Go on YouTube?

8. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    15 minutes extra lounging around in bed is nothing to be sniffed at! And err.. other things.;)

9. colinsthename

colinsthename Tele-Meister

Can't argue with that!

10. TurboStang

TurboStang Tele-Meister

Started wet shaving about 8 years ago after stumbling across this article on another forum... http://www.today.com/style/how-get-perfect-shave-2D80554959

Will never go back.

I use a Merkur 34C, badger hair brush, Israeli made Personna blades (occasionally a Feather), and generally some sort of soap produced in England, Mitchells Wool Fat, Taylors of Old Bond Street, etc.

11. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Switched a year or so ago and will never look back.

Edwin Jagger DE89 with an Astra Platinum blade
    Semogue Boar-hair brush and Proraso Menthol Shave Soap.

I bought 100 blades for $8.99 and they last a week at minimum. Two years worth of shaving for less than $5 a year...

I will NEVER switch back to cartridge style razors, and even when the Mach 12 comes out with the reciprocating 12 blades and aloe release system, I'll be happy shaving it up old-school.

~syf

12. Noname

Noname Tele-Meister

That will do the trick,

The Feather blades are the ones I use, they are the best I have tried, I buy them also on Amazon in a big pack.

I went from a Merkur Long handle (which was awesome) to a 1977 Gillette Slim with the butterfly doors (which was even better and VERY easy to use) and then to a Merkur Slant razor which suits me the best though I miss those doors on the Gillette.

The Slant makes quick work of it. I USUALLY use this stuff called Cremo, most of the shaving connoisseurs say its junk, but to me, this stuff is great, no need to spend time on any rituals or lathers (I would if I could make the time) just apply it, and shave it off and its also DIRT CHEAP for how many shaves you get out of it. I do have a good Badger brush and a soap puck for those times when I can go the extra mile.

13. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Well, got my Feather Popular razor in the mail today.

I'll try it tomorrow morning after my shower.

First impressions seem like it's well built, with a nice balance. I realize that the all metal models, both vintage and modern, must be an absolute pleasure to enjoy the precision and build quality, especially considering the price for some.

This will do for now, but I'm really looking forward to enjoying this, and trying out my different options for both blades and razors.

I'll report back...

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

No pressure! Let the razor do the work.

15. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

After reading the many rave reviews, I took the plunge. I got a 'microtouch' safety razor kit for Christmas last year; the one with the 'pawn stars' guy on the box. I'm sure it was one of those clearance gifts at Marshall's or some such place. I usually keep a beard, but the mood struck so I gave it a try. Great shave, no razor burn. I'll keep at it for a while and if all goes well, I'll look into some of those nice razors and soaps/brushes you guys have mentioned.

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Tried it for the first time, today, and it went great. I'm sure as I get more experience, it will get even better.

I got a fantastic shave, and not even a nick!

I was fresh out of the shower, and did a good prep, so I'm sure that helped. I was definitely tentative at first, just because I had no frame of reference for the response of the razor or blade, but I quickly got the hang of it. It was a bit tough to gauge along the beard line on my neck and cheeks, but I quickly was able to judge how far to go to keep the hairline.

I don't think I'd do anything differently, just more practice.

I really like it, and I'm glad I gave it a try - There's no way I'm going back to a safety razor, and I'm sure as I gain experience, and refine my blade and razor choices, it will just get better.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!

17. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like it might be worth a try .... I'm cautious because, even with a cartridge I get the odd Nick on my shins and "upper thighs" .

How do you guys get around that!

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Amazing how sometimes a single post can cause you to completely revise your image of somebody... :lol:

19. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

I use a safety razor and a stick of shaving soap, because it's cheap.

Something with nine blades or whatever might shave closer, but who cares?

The difference has vanished by halfway through the morning anyway.

20. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

a safety razor gives a much closer shave
    if not youre doing it wrong.
    I dont have to go over an area more times and I never cut myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.