Shaving with a safety razor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, May 16, 2015.

1. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

In my 30+ years of blade shaving, I've never tried one, but have decided that it looks interesting, not to mention the payoff of a better shave is worth the investment and the practice (and the long term financial savings over cartridges).

Anybody out there make the switch?

2. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

I've used my grandfathers (whom I never got to meet) for years. I won't use any other style razor. Great close shave every time!

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Why not consider an electric shaver? A good one will give you a pretty close shave and they're extremely quick and easy to use.

4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I switched to a safety razor a couple of years ago. Wouldn't go back. Besides the close shave, I love the morning ritual of whipping up and applying the lather with a boars hair brush while listening to the news on the radio.

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

I definitely prefer a blade :)

Also, I didn't mention it, but I have a beard, and a blade (at least in my opinion) gives a nicer sharp beard line and is easier to use for the "cutouts".

6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Cool!

In my research, I was amazed to discover how sought after (and expensive) some of those old models are, and how many prefer them over what's being made today...

Hmmm...

I'm sensing a pattern here...

7. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

I'd have to agree that there's something really enjoyable in the process besides just the utility.

I actually enjoy shaving, and find it relaxing.

8. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

I've been using them for several years and love it. Though once you discover the world of artisan soaps it gets expensive pretty quickly. I don't remember if plugs are allowed on here as it's been awhile, but I get most of my stuff from these guys: maggardrazors.com No affiliation, I just love their customer service. Regardless of where you buy from, if you decide to take the plunge you should get a blade sampler pack, because different skin reacts differently to different blades. Example: I use Astra and Kai, feather and shark blades give me horrible razor burn. Other people hate Astras and only use Sharks or feathers for the same reason. The only way to figure out which ones work best for you is to try them yourself. Also, in my experience Derby blades are the best ones to start with, as they're much duller and are fairly forgiving compared to something like Kai or Feather which will slice you open if you look at them wrong.

9. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm happy I switched to Harry's.

Life's too short for cheap shavers.

10. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I gave up shaving...

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Birdman!

Maggardrazors looks great, and I'm definitely going to get a sample pack! I've definitely heard that about blades being very different and individual, and it takes some trial and error to find the best combination. Also about the sharpness, and which are better for "beginners".

Looking forward to giving this a try!

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Is your last name Gibbons?

13. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have really thick whiskers, and electric razors just don't cut through them. They also irritate my skin badly.

I use 5- bladed cartridge thingys, but I would like to try a safety razor- if I could get over the whole scared I'm gonna cut my throat thing.

14. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have pretty thick whiskers too. I just use the trimmer to cut them off, then the main shaver part to smooth it out. They can irritate my skin too, but I've found that if I shave before washing it stops most/all of the irritation.

15. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I've used everything from a straight razor, safety razor/double edge razor, to cartridges, to electric razors. Hands down the best shave was from the straight razor, but these come with a HUGE learning curve and takes too much time maintaining the blade. Next best was the safety razor/DE, which I have been using for the last 5 years now. Has a small learning curve, but the payoff is an incredibly close shave and costs way less than cartridges, as long as you know how to use it properly, just like any other tool. If you don't know what you're doing you'll get a crummy shave and cut yourself. Cartridges are WAY to expensive, don't last long and give inferior results. Electric razors don't even come close to the kind of shave you'll get with a safety razor. I get high quality blades (Astras) for less than $15 for 100 blades, which easily last me more than a year. The brush I use cost $15. I do have a nice razor, but really nice ones can be had for $35. Aside from witch hazel and alum blocks, I have not purchased anything shaving related in probably about two years. When I started I tried several different razors, brushes, soaps and creams, but currently own one razor, one brush and a couple creams. Way less money spent compared to crappy cartridges.

I think no matter what type of razor you use, most don't know how to shave properly. Takes me about 10 minutes when I take the time for a proper shave. Next time you shave, actually take time to prep your face properly, make a nice lather and do three passes. First pass with the grain, second pass across the grain, and third pass against the grain and light touch ups. Let the razor do the work and don't use any pressure. It's amusing how most men have no clue how to shave properly.

Attached Files:

16. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

I started with a safety razor and still have it. A Gillett.

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've shaved in the shower for several decades. No mirror, and using the regular bar of soap that I use. Thanks to my partial paralysis in my legs, I've been using a shower stool to sit on. Seated that far away, the spray feels more like rain than a conventional shower of yore.

18. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

i regularly use a saftey razor made by gillette in 1913, i also use a wester bros. double duck special wedge straight razor when i have the time to set up, i really enjoy the ritual of shaving, a lot of the fun was lost with the intro of the disposable razor

19. Kazer

Kazer Tele-Meister

I made the switch a couple years ago. I use a 1964 Gillette safety razor, a brush and cup and the whole nine yards. Best shave I've ever had, not to mention I get 100 blades for $12 how much would 100 disposable cartridges cost? Haha. Not to mention the impact on the environment all that plastic has. Try it, you may love it

20. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I recently went back to old fashioned safety razor, after years of disposables. I bought one locally, in good heavy brass, Brit made. If I was upgrading, it would be one of these, or similar:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CC70

The reason being that I had a Gillette adjustable many years ago, and I found the adjustment was great for compensating for blade wear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.