Sharing my 5f2a build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dbaum, Jun 18, 2021.

1. dbaum

dbaum TDPRI Member

Hi all! Thought I'd share some photos of my recent 5f2a build with the group. Big shout out to @King Fan for his great work on the layout and willingness to entertain my frequent, and often nieve, questions. The build was straight forward and without any issues and the amp fired up without any issues. I am currently playing it through a Celestion G10 Gold that is mounted in my Mojotone PR cabinet. The tone is absolutely glorious. I was unexpectedly and pleasantly surprised with the amazing clean tones I'm able to get out of it and when you start approaching breakup, well, that is just as awesome! It is also cable of getting much more loud than I thought it would be. I had previously built a champ clone and although I enjoyed it, it just wasn't a keeper. I was worried the 5f2a would be similar. I'm not sure if it is the improved layout or that I used higher quality components or just luck but this is a totally different amp altogether than my Champ. Similar tones yes, but at a different level. It feels like it does everything better - cleans are cleaner, overdrive is sweeter and smoother and when it barks it has some serious bite. It just plain sounds better to the ears.
    Enjoy the photos! IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0242.jpg IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0262.jpg IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0264.jpg IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0240.jpg

screefer, scook, CV Jee Beez and 6 others like this.
  2. dbaum

dbaum TDPRI Member

Ignore the unwired jack - I was going to install a foot switch but decided against it.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That looks like a fun build. I wish I needed another amp.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Nice work.

Do you think the ground scheme is an improvement over other methods?

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I seem to say this on every cathode biased build - get some more space between your 470ohm resistor and bypass cap. The resistor gets hot and will end up cooking the cap over time.

6. dbaum

dbaum TDPRI Member

Based on how @King Fan went about developing the layout, I'd say it's pretty solid. From what I understand, there are additional and more complex ways to go about it but for me it was simple, straight forward and the results are great.

Thanks @corliss1, always learning!

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  7. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice clean build!

corliss1 likes this.
  8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Heh, I don't deserve much credit. I think it sounds good because you built it so nicely! Yours is one of the neatest small tweed builds I've seen. And attention to detail -- I see those marks for the outside foil on the caps. :)

I bet you'll agree the slightly bigger chassis is a meaningful advantage over a 5F1. As we discussed, the other differences from a Champ may play a role in the sound -- 10" speaker, bigger box, tone knob, added filtering, and bigger OT all come into it.

As for the ground scheme, also no heavy lift on my part. I just morphed Rob's 5F1 into a 5F2a, then changed his split 5E3 ground to adapt it to the 5F2a with its output sector in the middle, a feature that makes a unified bus extra easy in this amp. Still, split grounds could also work here, just gotta bring the output sector back to the power amp. I think Rob's elevated heater CT and his version of Merlin's HV CT on the reservoir cap negative also play a role in quieting the amp. Just in case it isn't clear from the photos, here (I think) is the version of mine we discussed...

5F2a simple bus fil.jpg

dbaum, vhilts1 and Intubator like this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Tidy build. Nice.

10. TeleSlug

TeleSlug TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

That is some really nice wiring! And it looks like you made great choices on the components. I also picked F&T caps for my latest build.

11. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Very nicely done! If I ever do another build, it’s going to be a 5f2a.

12. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

They do sound best with the right 8"speaker.

13. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Or 10" speaker. I have a '58 that had the baffle modified to 10". Unfortunately, they didn't come that way so originality suffers but the cabinet acoustically is just about perfect imo for a 10" speaker. I have a cheap but reconed late 50's 10" Magnavox alnico in there right now and the sound is just glorious from clean to dirty... Any Weber 10A125 or 10A100 Alnico would also likely be great for that amp.

dbaum likes this.
  14. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good show!

15. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Great looking build. My 5F2a gets a lot of playing time, and I have used it a fair amount for lower volume band practices, with a Cannabis Rex speaker. Also sounds good through an old Alnico Rola 10" speaker.

King Fan likes this.
  16. dbaum

dbaum TDPRI Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It was a fun build for sure. Now I just have to figure out a cabinet for it and choose a speaker. Although pricey, it’s sounds amazing through the Celestion G10 gold. Only problem is I’m not willing to rob it from my Mojotone PR but it can do double duty for now!

17. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you go for an 8” speaker the Weber CVA8 is really good for these little tweeds.

dbaum likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.