1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Share your experience with the blend feature of your Broadcaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleplayer99, Oct 9, 2020.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

As for my experience, instead of the .05 uF capacitor that yields the bassy neck pickup, I used a .003 uF capacitor for a more normal sounding neck pickup. And that worked pretty well.

I have since gone back to modern telecaster wiring, but I am planning on trying the blend feature again after listening to several utube videos and gaining knowledge.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’m not familiar with the blend feature.
    Elaborate please.

3. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe teleplayer99 is referring to what is referred to as the "dark circuit", a wiring that Telecasters came with from the factory from 1950-1967, as well as some reissues of those years, such as this years 70th anniversary broadcaster. What it does is muffles/darkens the neck pickup. It is said that the origin of the idea was that (this was before the P Bass was invented in 52, bear in mind), Tele players could switch to the neck pickup, and play bass lines with that muffled sound. I personally am not a huge fan of it, and neither was the general guitar playing population, you find a lot of vintage tele's with the resistor removed.

4. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

There is a wiring schematic that comes with the Broadcaster and a .05uF capacitor to allow the tone control to function as a blend control.

You add as much or as little of the neck pickup to the rear pickup to get the sound you want. This is by selecting the rear pickup alone. If you use the capacitor Fender supplied with the guitar, you get a dark, bass tone with the neck pickup selected.. The middle position has no tone circuit so is very bright.

I am going back to the blend on my Broadcaster, but with a capacitor that gives me a nice neck pickup sound. I am no expert so feel free to help me out on the explanation of the blend circuit. I am sure that I will learn from your explanation and ideas.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.