Share Your ES335

tonedr

Friend of Leo's
1995 Gibson Es-335 that I affectionately refer to as “Dot” or “Dottie.” She was my first electric and I think she looks amazing with leather.

The bigsby was added because I couldn’t bear the thought of a stop bar and I had massive interest in the Moody Blues as a kid.
View attachment 941892
great looking guitar with a lot of 'character'!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
what you built this! mind blowing to me - i love it, the headstock is so cool too! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you man! Much appreciated! It was definitely a learning experience for sure. There's a reason why 335's are expensive.... and now I know why ;) LOL!!! Lots of work goes into those babies, and there's really no way around it, cause it's got to be "right" to be a 335. :cool:

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
335s are about my favourite things on the planet (aside from a few humans and animals, I guess) and I've built up a little family of them over the last 25 years.

My '79 ES355, my first proper guitar bought when I was 18 in the mid 90s when brown 70s Gibsons were bottom of the secondhand barrel and were affordable even to 18 year old indie musicians. I've played hundreds of gigs and recording sessions with this guitar and it's still my most played, simply a great guitar.

Then the other 355, a '65 that I bought to mark my 40th. I'm a huge fan of Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr hence liking 355s in the first place and I always wanted the cherry red stereo Bigsby version for that reason. It's a nice guitar, and I use it a fair bit for recording, it's a bit more classic rock sounding than the brown one which works better for indie/alt stuff.

I have an actual 335 as well, a '66 I bought mainly for the great deal and the flamey top but it turned out to be a killer example. It's airier and more dynamic than either of the 355s, so a really nice contrast and it looks incredible as well with the faded cherry burst and random bits of figure that pop out at different angles.

Lastly the relatives. I bought the copper '65 330 about fifteen years ago to use for gigs in place of the brown 355 - it was originally a bit rough looking with a previous refinish and I had it restored to how it looks today. I have shoulder problems these days after a bike accident so a 6lb 330 is an ideal guitar for playing out. I picked up the sunburst '69 because I wanted a long neck 330 to go with it for better high fret access, then the other guitar is a very rare '69 Crest which was an upmarket 330 variant made from Brazilian rosewood. I always wanted one of these - as a kind of hybrid of my favourite 355 and 330 models it seemed like the perfect guitar - and it's very cool, a really unique sounding guitar that's a bit of a mix of Gibson and Filtertron Gretsch sounds that's great for Americana/alt country type music.

(copied post from the other place, sorry!)

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
My 2000 Epi Dot with an SD ‘59 in the neck and an SD Seth Lover in the bridge. Great guitar:

1642619170328.jpeg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My 2000 Epi Dot with an SD ‘59 in the neck and an SD Seth Lover in the bridge. Great guitar:

View attachment 941957
In Nov. 2008, my musician buddies all chipped -in, to buy me a very similar Epi Dot, from GC, for my 50th Birthday! ( good friends!)

Mine has the flame maple veneer ( maybe 'foto flame' ) treatment on the top and back, and gold hardware. Gotta say it was really beautiful- not gaudy.

I had Gibson '57 Classics put in ( maybe after a year?), and played it on occasion for gigs ( but a Strat has always been, #1)

Sadly, I sold it after 6-7 years, as we were just in $$ trouble, and the guitar just wasn't getting played.

Always felt guilty about selling a great gift- I told everyone about it, and they were fine with what I did...

After this thread, I want another!! (
Epi is fine-I have an SG I love!)

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
In Nov. 2008, my musician buddies all chipped -in, to buy me a very similar Epi Dot, from GC, for my 50th Birthday! ( good friends!)

Mine has the flame maple veneer ( maybe 'foto flame' ) treatment on the top and back, and gold hardware. Gotta say it was really beautiful- not gaudy.

I had Gibson '57 Classics put in ( maybe after a year?), and played it on occasion for gigs ( but a Strat has always been, #1)

Sadly, I sold it after 6-7 years, as we were just in $$ trouble, and the guitar just wasn't getting played.

Always felt guilty about selling a great gift- I told everyone about it, and they were fine with what I did...

After this thread, I want another!! (
Epi is fine-I have an SG I love!)
These things happen. I think you deserve another!

I too have a weakness for SGs.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
These things happen. I think you deserve another!

I too have a weakness for SGs.
My honest answer, is I probably would not get another ES-335 style guitar for a while, though I do think they sound absolutely fantastic and are beautiful.

But even though I play sitting down ( bad back), a 335 is not very comfy for me to play ( big, even though thin, & I've owned 3 Epi semi-hollow bodies- Sheraton/ Dots), big to carry around.

Les Pauls also are beautiful, and sound fantastic- but too heavy! ( for me)

So finally a few years ago
( after playing a buddy's real Gibson '61 SG RI, more than a few times- loved it!)
I decided that a Cherry SG ( mine is 2018 SG Pro, '66 style), was the ' Gibson' * for me!

* just explaining a process
- having the set mahogany 24.75" neck; a mahogany body; TOM bridge; 2 HB'pickups w/ 4- knobs, etc. So the SG scratches that itch, as I do love Gibson sound

Edit- all of my above BS is coming primarily trying to get a Gibson ( style), guitar, into the mix of mainly a Strat/Tele player...

Last edited:

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
335s are about my favourite things on the planet (aside from a few humans and animals, I guess) and I've built up a little family of them over the last 25 years.

My '79 ES355, my first proper guitar bought when I was 18 in the mid 90s when brown 70s Gibsons were bottom of the secondhand barrel and were affordable even to 18 year old indie musicians. I've played hundreds of gigs and recording sessions with this guitar and it's still my most played, simply a great guitar.

Then the other 355, a '65 that I bought to mark my 40th. I'm a huge fan of Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr hence liking 355s in the first place and I always wanted the cherry red stereo Bigsby version for that reason. It's a nice guitar, and I use it a fair bit for recording, it's a bit more classic rock sounding than the brown one which works better for indie/alt stuff.

I have an actual 335 as well, a '66 I bought mainly for the great deal and the flamey top but it turned out to be a killer example. It's airier and more dynamic than either of the 355s, so a really nice contrast and it looks incredible as well with the faded cherry burst and random bits of figure that pop out at different angles.

Lastly the relatives. I bought the copper '65 330 about fifteen years ago to use for gigs in place of the brown 355 - it was originally a bit rough looking with a previous refinish and I had it restored to how it looks today. I have shoulder problems these days after a bike accident so a 6lb 330 is an ideal guitar for playing out. I picked up the sunburst '69 because I wanted a long neck 330 to go with it for better high fret access, then the other guitar is a very rare '69 Crest which was an upmarket 330 variant made from Brazilian rosewood. I always wanted one of these - as a kind of hybrid of my favourite 355 and 330 models it seemed like the perfect guitar - and it's very cool, a really unique sounding guitar that's a bit of a mix of Gibson and Filtertron Gretsch sounds that's great for Americana/alt country type music.

Wow, I am still gassing for my first one.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

My thoughts:
1. That Crest is awesome. What kind of tone does it have?
2. I'm struck by the length of the strings between the TOM and Bigsby on the sunburst 330
3. Is that actually copper, or Burgundy Mist Metallic with the red color faded out of it?