Share the awkward moments...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

My first time leading solo I stepped on the cord of my acoustic as I was getting ready to play, swiftly yanking the cord from the guitar with a nice loud *POP* for the congregation.

I've been known to have the capo on the wrong fret...

I've been known to forget songs entirely...

I've been known to forget a particular service element (communion, offering, prayer, etc), resulting in plenty of awkward silences until it comes to me.

2. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Been at this church for 5 years, playing with them for about 4.5.

- I was selected to play the intro on a new song, nailed it at practice and then swiftly forgot how to play guitar completely when it came time to play it during service. It sounded like someone just picked up the guitar for the first time and started playing random notes.... Whole congregation just looked at me. It was even recorded for public broadcasting tv, just to top it off.

- The pianist ripped into a huge loud intro right when Pastor was about to start into the confession. I almost cried trying to suppress the laughing caused by the horror on her face when we told her to shut up and she realized what she did haha.

- Pastor just finished his sermon and spaced on the prayer and sat down for the next song we were supposed to play. Everyone just sat there silently and he had no clue why until I loudly said: *cough* prayer *cough*. He was bright red.

- first song of the service involved a long intro with keyboard and I was supposed to rip in loud and overdriven halfway through the 1st verse. It was in Bb and I wasn't a strong enough player at the point to pull off barre chords the whole song, so I was supposed to capo 1 and play in A. Guess who capoed 2, was super loud, super off key and had the eyes of every congregation member on him?

There's tons more, but these stand out as the most awkward to me.

3. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

The one that stands out to me as my most awkward, was starting the wrong song.

We do quite a few Hillsong Live songs. We had done "Alive in Us" the previous Sunday. The following Sunday, we were doing "God is Able". Both songs start with the guitar alone. So, I started playing, and the worship leader turned around and started shaking his head no. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until he mouthed "not Alive in Us"………"God is able". After I stopped playing, he made a funny comment about how the guitar player would now start the right song, people laughed, and away we went. The guitar player was pretty red faced though.:D

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Reading these makes me feel better. I remember another;
    I was playing tele through my GDEC-3 30/DI box/FOH for most of the service, but I needed to play an acoustic solo for Lord's supper. I made an appropriate patch on the GDEC for my acoustic, taking into account the very hot signal coming from the acoustic's onboard powered preamp system.
    At the appropriate time, I plugged in, turned off the tuner, and the acoustic absolutely HOWLED through the mains!!! I had neglected to switch from my very overdriven lead electric patch to the low key acoustic patch. People were truly shaken up a bit.
    Even our low key pastor looked around disgustedly. DOH!

5. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

Nothing quite like playing the wrong song...You should try mixing up "You Never Let Go" and "The Only Name (Yours Will Be)". Both in the key of A, I started "You Never Let Go" at "The Only Name" rhythm. The drummer just kicked in like everything was great, but I knew it was all wrong when I started singing. I tried to fight through it, but finally just stopped in the middle of the first chorus and played it off like I was caught up in the spirit or something...

6. Worship Tele 1

Worship Tele 1 TDPRI Member

I have laughed myself silly reading all of these posts. Thanks for sharing!! My addition to these: playing my very first service, first song (my savior lives), the drummer clicks it off and I hit my first note as our new lead guitar player and...nothing! I looked at my gear and can't see any issues, I look up at the sound guy in the crow's nest and he points at me and mouths "it's you"!! I looked down and still nothing checking my volume control, cables, etc. Yepper, somewhere in the first verse I figure it out...my tuner is on! Tuner 1, me 0!

7. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Two weeks ago we played two songs where I used a Capo.
    On the closing song I forgot to move the little critter to the right spot from where it was previously.
    Switched that baby in about 1.5 seconds. The other band members just smiled at me and afterwards our saxophone player said "Wow, you moved that Capo pretty fast, I was impressed.":oops:

8. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Once our pastor called us up before he was finished with his last two message points. He came back up to finish and said 'i forgot my notes say I should give you these last two points'. The band stood there for well over five minutes just hanging... when he was done I said 'well MY notes say it is time to worship. Please stand for this last song'.

Everyone laughed and it was all ok, but I've never checked my tele's tuning more than in those last five minutes. Lol

9. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

One in particular was when I was playing in a HUGE mega Church for several years. I was set up with the bass player and drummer in the center of a 75 member choir and at that time was running an old 100 watt Carvin X100B with the Hot Rod Mod on a 4/12.
    [​IMG]
    One night just as we had flowed down into a really worshipful moment and were having an altar call one of the ladies cell phone went off in her purse which was leaned up DIRECTLY behind my cab and sitting on all my cables. Of course my rig picked it up and starts BLARING this digital cell phone noise out the cab which is mixed hot into the system in the 10,000 seat hall! I'm helpless as I know what it is and can't find the blasted phone at first and when I do I grab and throw the ladies purse across the stage and the racket instantly stops --- with 5000 folks watching all this transpire on stage from out front. The next week it is STRESSED NO CELL PHONES On STAGE!!!
    For some perspective this was my normal view of a service for 5 or so years there so----.
    [​IMG]
    Then there was the night we were opening for a national act while I was doing the white metal thing and the sound company for the night hooked the mains into 220 and blew the main mixing board. We had to run over to our practice space and grab our little 1604 Macky and rescue the night---
    [​IMG]
    Then there was --- :rolleyes:

10. DannyStereo

Ascension, that Carvin looks full of tone!

11. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Tele-Meister

12. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

Most recently, walk on stage for quick run through before our second service (just the band & production folks....no congregation yet). Song starts, I notice I'm not in my ears. So I commence to check my guitar volume, volume pedal, pedalboard connections, etc., & am giving our IEM board tech a look like "do you have anything?" Suddenly, realize I'm not hearing the rest of the band through my ears either...turn on my pack & sheepishly start playing. The board tech just starts laughing...

13. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Tele-Meister

I once had a song in which I used a pick scrape to begin a solo in the intro to a song. It went well and we practiced several more songs. I guess I adjusted my amp volume and forgot to turn it down. In service i hit the pick scrape at the new volume and just about blew the girl in the chair in front of me out of her seat. Flute players do not appreciate that.

14. DannyStereo

15. guitarguy97

guitarguy97 Tele-Meister

I've had this happen to me more times than I'd care to admit, minus the recorded on tv part.

Another thing I do often during practice is not plug my cable into my amp while I'm hooking up my pedal board. I'll end up plugging into my 'board and freak out about why there's not any sound coming out of my amp, then I'll turn around and realize that I never plugged the other cable into my amp :oops:

I've also straight-up forgotten to play lead fills a few times. That always ends up with me getting a funny look from the worship leader.

This one Sunday, I had no signal coming from my acoustic during practice. The soundguy had me change the battery twice (the battery is inconveniently located inside the soundhole) just to find out that I was plugged into a bad D.I. box... :rolleyes:

16. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

Some or our music stands and guitar stands are pretty old and worn out. One day the bass player standing next to me had a problem with his music stand slowly sliding down the whole way. He kept pulling it back up after every song but the folks were starting to notice what was happening, and you could hear a few chuckles out front. When we finished the last song I leaned over and told him " you know Ronnie there's pills for that".

Most of our team started laughing, I had no idea we had so many lip readers in the congregation.:oops:

17. DannyStereo

Hahaha!

This is classic!

18. TeleFool75

TeleFool75 Tele-Meister

About a year ago we were having weekly fill-in worship leaders as we were in a transition stage of hiring a new one. Well the first week in at the start of invitation, we come up and start playing How Great is Our God and our pastor decides at that moment, without our knowing, to call up a couple who were about to head out on a mission trip in a few weeks. And then he decides to form a prayer line and invite all the members to come up and pray over them as needed. 25 minutes later...still playing How Great as the fill-in had no idea what to do as we had only played 3 other songs together 30 minutes earlier (with just a quick rehearsal before service) and I guess he didn't feel comfortable to just stop and improvise. :confused: I finally just told him to wrap it up and gave the pastor a nod and a look that we were done. Looking back I should have just stopped playing my guitar, ran back to the board(no sound guy at the time either) and plugged in my iPod.

19. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Tele-Meister

Okay, not really an awkward moment, but a fun one I thought I'd share...

I was invited to play electric guitar to back up a pretty well known worship leader/recording artist a number of years ago. At the time, I was mostly an acoustic rhythm player, but could do a decent job in a band on electric if needed. Well, while we were rehearsing we got to one point in a song, and he turns to me and says, "do you think you could just let loose with a wailing solo at this point?"
    "Um... I'm mostly a rhythm player, but I will try my best."
    I knew my scales well enough and all, but was by no means able to harness the awesomeness that is the "face-melting solo".

The worship service/concert was a day later, and in the meantime I had a small group gathering. We were going around the room asking about prayer needs. I half-jokingly said something along the lines of, "Could we pray for the 'gift of wail' for me for the upcoming service?" (I know it's not in the list of spiritual gifts, but I think if King David were writing that part instead of Paul, he may have included it haha).

Well, thankfully the service went really well. Lots of energy, lot of worship, and thankfully, I didn't screw it up! My solo wasn't exactly "wailing", but I held my own, and got a little nod of approval from the leader as the solo trailed off.
    Whew! Awkward moment averted.

20. guitarguy97

guitarguy97 Tele-Meister

Oh, just thought of awkward one. We had a local Christian artist guest-lead the worship service one week. On Planning Center, I was scheduled to play bass that week, so I brought my bass, just to find that apparently I was expected to play electric, despite not having that information communicated to me at any time... That was a fun set to play, me playing with the normal worship leader's electric stuff and the pedals/amp that had been sitting in the equipment closet

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.