Share an interesting road story...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by codamedia, Nov 20, 2018.

1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Which is the precise reason I added this line in the opening post.

StrangerNY likes this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

No worries - what happened in cities and small towns across the Northeast in the 70s and 80s will stay in cities and small towns across the Northeast in the 70s and 80s. ;)

- D

codamedia likes this.
  3. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Was standing with a few band guys sidestage for Party in the Park in London. Suddenly Prince Charles walks up to us, puts sunglasses on and says "I bet I can join the band!" I responded "Yea, come on dude!" He smiles, laughs, walks away. My Australian bandmate says "Do you realize you just call the Crown Prince of England dude....."

Just doesn't happen everyday.

4. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

That is pretty freakin' cool, I don't think anybody is going to be able to top that one..

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Those were liberated days for sure!

6. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Late 80s we opened for BJ Thomas in a small concert in Pascagoula, MS. Before the show started my wife wanted to meet Mr. Thomas. I had already met him and introduced my wife to Mr. Thomas. "My wife would like to meet you". He said, "Nice to meet you."--and gave her a full on kiss on the mouth right in front of me. The show almost didn't go on.

Same band about the same time period, we opened for two shows with Ray Stevens at the Ingalls shipyard in Pascagoula. We also did the sound and lighting using our equipment. My wife was running one spot and I was on the other. Our first show had been in the daytime so I knew how Mr. Steven's set was going. At one point he introduced the guitar player who played multi instruments. During the first set the intro was fairly short. The second show was at night so I moved the spot from Ray to the guitar player. My wife stayed on Ray. Mr. Stevens said "Hey put the light back on me." He wanted both spots on him--nothing on the talented guitar player. I didn't move it for about 30 seconds and he called me out again.--I moved it over but very, very, very slowly.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I have never wondered if Shania was real, but are you saying she was actually Eileen with the tragic backstory? I always liked Shania and thought she was a cool new addition to Canada's important contributions to country music when she hit.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Yeah. I gained a ton of casual confidence when it came to women. I was probably not emotionally mature enough when it first started happening (my first fan mail was a mash note from a 15-year old girl), but I just did the best that I could. How else was I supposed to learn?

After leaving the live music world, I learned that I needed to modulate my approach a little bit in more polite company. Miss the old days!

9. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

For some reason best known to her parents, her real first name contains, unusually, two Ls: "Eilleen". Eilleen, shmeilleen, she's great anyway and that's a nice story.

10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Yes - the Eileen that used to get up and sing with the bands at the Saturday jam sessions is indeed Shania Twain... and yes, she suffered that tragic backstory.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    brookdalebill likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad she ”endured” so well.
    She’s been a guilty pleasure of mine for years.
    I cant help it, I love well crafted pop music.
    Here is a somewhat realted anecdote.
    The leader of the (American/Texan) bar band I toured Canada with was/is a substantial guy.
    He’s about 6’1” tall, and his “fighting weight” is around 350 lbs.
    A great guy named Doug.
    When Shania started becoming a big deal in the early 1990s, Doug joked about turning his/our band into a Shania tribute band, with himself, in drag as the focal point.
    The name?
    Just Shy A Ton.
    His joke, not ours.
    A truly funny guy.

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

All my stories involve women, so I guess I'm out.

codamedia likes this.
  13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I would write one (my road stories are very old), but:
    1. My wife might read it.
    2. No way I could compete with losing one's right "stone". :)

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

OP --- Timmins, Ontario - remember it well. Was approx 45 F degrees below zero and I had to take the battery out of my car into the hotel room so it wouldn't freeze up. Got stuck there on a hotel gig with a free weekend, Montreal too far to drive for a 3 day break so sanded the finish off my 68 tele, probably cost myself close to $3,000 if I try to sell it today.

And then there was the time one of my band members got picked up by a he-she in New York but that's probably a story that would not be allowed here. Too bad, probably some amazing exploits from all you guys that will go untold. We could have some really good laughs if we could figure out how to post them, they say laughter is the best medicine. Hello Admin. how about an X-Rated section ???

Corky Laing (leaning on my ear in the avatar) and I took a dream gig beach-club in The Hamptons away from Leslie West and The Vagrants using a New York agent after we did the Peppermint Lounge on 45th Street. By coincidence Leslie ended up with our drummer in Mountain after my band broke-up. Both bands had Felix Pappalardi as producer at Atlantic and Cork was at the right place, right time, also wrote most of Mississippi Queen. That cowbell did my gigs for about 6 years and is in the Hall of Fame. Got tossed off the beach gig after the first week for breaking house rules - no chicks upstairs, Leslie got the gig back. Place was a meat market of rich chicks.

We got banned from The Hampton Diner for life - got into a food fight with The Young Rascals and The Shangri-Las girl group - squeezee ketchup & mustard everywhere...fun times.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    codamedia likes this.
  15. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

Last weekend I was fishing around in a plastic box with all of my bits and pieces for my spare capo, when a woman from the audience came up to me and asked whether she could have one of my cheese sandwiches. I told her that I onlt had tuna or ham. Life is full of disappointments.

I've been asked a lot of things by an audience, but never 'can I have a cheese sandwich?'

Mid Life Crisis and Tony474 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.