Shameful confession: I think I prefer slim necks. I feel dirty

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Jul 22, 2017.

1. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Thin is in. I like thin. Maybe because I weigh 145.

Grux likes this.
  2. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

Interesting.

Thin necks make my hands and wrists cramp up after about half an hour. Even Fender's C-shape is thin enough to do this.

Once we start getting into the 24-25 mm 12th fret thickness, however, all is well for me.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

They say a man resembles his axe. Tiny hands = small neck.

4. BlueCollarBoy

BlueCollarBoy Tele-Meister

Yeah my mighty mite neck is super slim also. Didn't really notice til after about 2 months of playing my partscaster exclusively after i built it, then going back to a fender. They are even slimmer than the fender modern C. I don't really have a preference because seems like whatever I am playing, even if it feels different at first, just a few minutes of playing and its feels normal. Kinda like putting on a brand new pair of shoes. They feel weird at first, but doesn't take long and they feel great.

5. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

Dislike fat necks, particularly with a 11/16 nut and/or full shoulders.

I sort of like them @ 1.65 and 1.625, especially with some V to them.

Had a .90-.90 chunky C 1 11/16 and despised it, so much so that I took a bunch of sandpaper to it, which still really didn't fix the problem.

I'd say my hands are at least medium-sized. I also wonder if fat necks might impact tone in a negative way since they may be likely to resonate less.

I suspect a lot of players get on the fat neck train and buy one and realize that they don't like them either.

6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Same here. I like playing fat necks but my arthritic thumb sure doesn't. I do well with a '52 J-45, an AJRI, my AV62 Custom Tele, ones like that. I'd hardly call them 'skinny'. I did jettison a buncha guitars with necks that guys here love (AV52, Classic '50s, etc) and really have to stay away from any V-shaped neck.

In all honesty I find the love of fat necks almost purely an Internet phenomenon. I know a lot of guitar players and not one of them raves about or plays a 'boat neck'. Guys that played a couple of my really big neck guitars like a banner Southern Jumbo were not favorably impressed.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Each to their own, right? When I built my first partscaster, I rolled the dice on a fat neck, bigger than any I ever owned. I find it very comfortable and fun to play. I don't hate skinny necks, but the bigger, the more comfortable, for me.

thinneck.jpg

drlucky, Dismalhead and Stubee like this.
  8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ok...the ruse is up. Nobody really likes fat necks. All the SNL's (Skinny Neck Lovers) are pouring out of the closets all over the world to announce their pride!!! Right ON, Brothers and Sisters!

Now...hurry up and get those hideous Baja's with those over sized baseball bats onto ebay and Craigs and be done with them...

(But could you message me first???:))

Stubee and Blue Bill like this.
  9. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I don't think neck thickness has anything to do with tone. The real problem is you guys have been givin so many options that just aern't done well. I have played a ton of different necks. A nice cut neck with a thickness of .90 to 1.00 is the easiest to play even for smaller hands. It get's rid of any stability issures. If a guitar neck isn't shaped right thick necks feel horrible. Awkard. There use to be some low budget acoustics with just messed up thick necks. I hate gibson style guitars. I have played enough necks that are like them to know a thick neck cut like that just sucks to play.

Like the model T only came in one color necks should only come about one thickness and shape. That way people learn to play with a good neck in there hand. They don't switch from a toy guitar and real guitar and whine about it later in their playing carrier. The necks are less prone to all types of issues. There are a plethora of reasons. They are easier to play.

I play a .90 thickness neck and I consider it thin.

Even saying all that. One thing the neck thickness doesn't affect is tone of the guitar. There will always be some punk kid playing some thin necked guitar making them rock and roll sounds.

10. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

I see nothing wrong in preferring thin necks. To each his own I say!

11. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Me too. I love my big maple Am St neck/fretboard but after about 20 minutes my carpel tunnel kicks in and my wrist hurts and my hand goes numb. So most of my playing now is on my Affinity.

12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I once had an Aria 335 style guitar that had a rediculously slim & small neck...gave it to my cousin

13. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

1987 am standard strat neck: the slimmest ever, and I love it very much

14. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

Another fan of the slim neck here. I've loved the initial feel of a true baseball bat-style neck on a number of Tele's I've encountered, but my playing certainly improves when I'm using something smaller. Small guy, small hands.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bah I say! Once you go big you can't do twig.

audiopablo and Rclax like this.
  16. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I absolutely prefer thin necks, I took one of my chunky Tele copy necks and shaped it into a soft V, removed a bunch of wood, now this is one of my favorite necks.

I have Small hands... ;)

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do feel like thick necks are more tuning stable and sustain better. But I have no way to prove it.

I used to think I preferred very fat necks - 1" no taper.

But I've come to realize that I prefer a 1 11/16" nut and a medium C. Not modern Fender C (too thin). Not 1" at the nut (too deep). Just right.

I think it was trying to get more into Jazz chord-melody stuff. Some stretches become really difficult if the strings are too close together and if they neck is to deep. So to me a medium is more versatile, but also just plain more comfortable.

The mid-60s C on the AV '64 Tele is perfect for me.

18. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

If everyone had hands like Hendrix we'd all prefer thick necks but not everyone has big hands so slim necks are ideal for many

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Paraphrasing Spinal Tap....The bigger the cushion...the better the pushin'...or so it's been said. I think some of you guys are just being shallow....real necks aren't what you see on fashion runways....they're hangin' out at the local bar or Walmart. I guess I'm kinda like Jack Black in that movie....I see my 1 11/16" nut, 1" depth fatback neck as Gwyneth Paltrow....just about perfect!!!!

AAT65 likes this.
  20. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

So what are you guys considering as "small hands." I don't know if I have small or large hands. Measurements please.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.