1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SG thickness / SG Controls / Tele neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by natec, Apr 21, 2021.

1. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm considering building a thin-body (1-3/8") guitar with SG controls and humbuckers, but with a Tele bridge and neck.

Considering the tele pocket needs to be 5/8" in order to line up properly with the bridge - will the 7/8" remaining body thickness be sufficient to secure the neck?

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I doubt you'll have a problem with it. Most Squiers are 1.5" so you're only talking about the difference of an 1/8". If that difference is make or break I'd be surprised.

Just make sure that depth gives you enough to be able to route out all the cavities you need.

crazydave911 and natec like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You should be fine depending on the wood you use. I'd choose something a little denser so the neck doesn't go flexing. That of course depends on where you put the neck joint. Set neck SG's can do some wiggling.

Neck Flex | EverythingSG.com

Maestro SG bodies with a bolt on neck are a bit thicker than a set neck SG. I think most Squiers are in the 1-5/8" ballpark, not 1-2/4, but I am not a Squier expert at all.

This is a shot of a Guitar Fetish SG

guitar fetish.png

This is a Maestro by Gibson

Maestro SG Junior | JB Photography | Reverb

Epiphone SG Special Satin E1 Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend (musiciansfriend.com)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It should, at least using my Harmony H-801 as an example. The body thickness is 1.25" and the neck pocket is .75". The body is some sort of plywood I suppose. It's held up for about 50 years now.

Global Harmony H-801.jpg

20210421_163225.jpg

5. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks all.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.