SG-Neck Thru - Using up some wood in the shop

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
0417221814a.jpg
one step at a time.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a couple of the same ones, Dave, and over the longer spans the beams start to bow. They do have box beams styles at HF, I might have to buy a couple to try them out.
My longest are 24" of which I have four, also four 18" and 12 6" lol

Attachments

• received_732992004358302.jpeg
    received_732992004358302.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 11

Full-Tilt-Tele

Tele-Meister
Here's a helpful tip: Buy a couple of 4ft 'Angle Iron' bars and use them along with your clamps to spread the pressure more evenly throughout the entire gluing process.

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
Here's a helpful tip: Buy a couple of 4ft 'Angle Iron' bars and use them along with your clamps to spread the pressure more evenly throughout the entire gluing process.
This one's done gluing up for now. Only the flame maple top, the fretboard, and the headstock overlay need to be glued from here on out. The really difficult task ahead is going to be removing thickness from the body region. How thick are real SG's bodies anyhow? 1.375"?

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
GFS makes a VERY good harness for those,full size pots the whole smack. I'd add the buttons and jack assembly to cart to make the shipping worth it 😉

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
GFS makes a VERY good harness for those, full size pots the whole smack. I'd add the buttons and jack assembly to cart to make the shipping worth it 😉
Thanks, I have not ordered from GFS in quite a while. I'd prefer CTS & real Switchcraft, and TAOT has good stuff, just not everything. That way, if this ends up really sucking, I can move the good stuff to LP #3.

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I got the Wilkinson 3x3 tuners in the mail yesterday, after 3 weeks from China, and they're looking good ($27 delivered), so that portion is covered. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001717626990.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.0.0.1323f19colT6NF

I may do a bit of routing this next couple of days, but the weekend is a special woodturning adventure - Nick Agar 2-day hands on turning event in Nashville.

I've compiled a basket at GFS for the harness, knobs, toggle surround and strap buttons - just waiting to see if I can find some freebies from guitarists at work (everyone in Nashville area is a guitarist). No hurry, because in May I head off to NC for a week of woodturning with John Keeton, fancy embellishments and design choices of platters, plates, and bowls.

One of my co-workers has new strap buttons and I/O jack, so that lessens the damages.

Last edited:

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I decided to pull the trigger on CTS pots and Switchcraft toggle switch from The Art of Tone. So, if the Siggy sux, the components can be re-used on LP #3 (The Keeper has parts already allocated for it).

Q: Does anyone have the font for the Les Paul logo? I want to do Siggy in that font as a waterslide decal; and later The Keeper, too.

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
@Moodivarius said in his LP build that he found the Gibson font.
I've got the "Greene" logo logo laid out in the Gibson font; but I mean the signature of the Les Paul type font. I think that'd be pretty cool as "Siggy" or "The Keeper" for the headstocks. I've actually obtained a pretty good sized piece of true Holly veneer to be dyed black as the overlay material this go around.
1650648155134.png

linus™

TDPRI Member
I've got the "Greene" logo logo laid out in the Gibson font; but I mean the signature of the Les Paul type font. I think that'd be pretty cool as "Siggy" or "The Keeper" for the headstocks. I've actually obtained a pretty good sized piece of true Holly veneer to be dyed black as the overlay material this go around. View attachment 976189
I made a vector tracing of that years ago for someone on HC (RIP) doing a restoration.

Infinately scalable. If you don't have Adobe Illustrator or whatever i'm pretty sure Inkscape (free) can handle this.

They took it to a screenprinter and had it done up in gold on holly plates.

If you feel like using it have at it. **unsure if they are perfect**

YMMV

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I made a vector tracing of that years ago for someone on HC (RIP) doing a restoration.

Infinately scalable. If you don't have Adobe Illustrator or whatever i'm pretty sure Inkscape (free) can handle this.

They took it to a screenprinter and had it done up in gold on holly plates.

If you feel like using it have at it. **unsure if they are perfect**

YMMV

Thanks, Linus. But I don't want it to say Les Paul, I want the font, so I can have it say "Siggy" or "The Keeper", Maybe I can find a similar font type of script somewhere.

linus™

TDPRI Member
Thanks, Linus. But I don't want it to say Les Paul, I want the font, so I can have it say "Siggy" or "The Keeper", Maybe I can find a similar font type of script somewhere.
would you be interested in doing it in your own writing? We could vectorize that.

https://fonts.adobe.com/ will have a huge amount of script faces for you to check out. You could try your wording, screenshot it and then do an autotrace or manual trace so as to not have to buy a whole typeface. The uppercase K/S/T characters are what'll really define the look as they are usually more ornate.

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I've been tangentialized - when you come to fork in the road, take it. I was over in NC at the JC Campbell Folkschool taking another woodturning class,
20220513_163822-2.jpg
and my phone completely died. Plus I have been turning wood for an upcoming annual yard sale at a friend's neighborhood. So all guitar builds were placed on hold. I shall return to the builds next week. I need to get some closure on Siggy. My very talented teacher at JCC gave me 4 unopened bottles of LMI Guitar dyes (Red, Yellow, Orange, and Black), when he kept hearing me yammer on about guitar building. Very nice (once I use up all of the inkjet toner refills).