SG-Neck Thru - Using up some wood in the shop

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
OK, I started another build (LP #2 - The KEEPER), and in the course of doing that I realized I have way too much wood cluttering up my shop. I used to own SG Standards ('65 that was stolen from me in 1968) and the replacement '68 that I traded off towards a Martin D-35 (that was stolen in 1983, along with the real '59 LP GT Std., and an Aria Pro Black Beauty lawsuit guitar). The SG has been on my bucket list to build, but with all the wood I have accumulated over the past 15 years, I decided to create a different guitar.

This will be an SG body style, but a 5-piece neck through with mahogany wings and a flame maple top. Some of the info has been blurted out in the Keeper blog, so I though to have it separated, because at the pace I do things (12 years to finish TeleBaum) it would be easier to keep it by itself.

Here's a concept drawing (Rhino3)
1648405107804.png

And the idea of the 5-piece neck thru:

0327220937.jpg 0327220937a.jpg 0327220937b.jpg I just drilled 1/4" diameter index hole for wooden dowels, and have the maple center and one of the walnut 1/4" layers gluing right now. Maybe later today I can glue up the other side of walnut, and the other 2 mahogany pieces.

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I did look into that, but it is cost prohibitive for me right now. I did just glue the other walnut lamination on; I probably have 10 clamps on it. I need to find a way to print the layout full size and make a template for the body outline. I need a refresher course in pdf printing full scale with multiple sheets and match lines.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
It will put in alignment lines for you. I too forget the option in print settings but DO remember it's not print to screen lol. I did that once also with an SG and walked off. I do have some interesting stationery if you're interested 🤣

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I think the thru neck or at least a long tenon makes sense on an SG. I know there were different versions but some have very short tenons and a reputation for problems. I don't have plans for an SG but I do have the double neck version - it has a small wedge under the f/b extension and indicates two degrees of neck angle. Hiscock shows some details of SG neck joints and of course has a thru neck as one of his builds.

I'll be watching to see how that comes out.

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I think I downloaded the drawing (acad format) and the dxf from the German website. Good enough for my build. 3.5 degree neck angle from the body, and 17 degree headstock angle from the neck. I am using my LP neck template for the profile up to the body, then 1/4" drop to the body top, 1.5" body & neck thru thickness for 14.70" (14-3/4").

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
As good as an S50-J Guild was and as bad as the first SGs were I'm surprised the SG is still around. Should have been neck-through from the beginning 😉

Ripthorn

Friend of Leo's
You got me beat by 5. I could've added about 4 more, and probably will do so for the next set of laminations. Your neck looks great, BTW.
Thanks. I didn't want to pull out the really long clamps for this one. 3' clamps on a 3.5" wide piece is just a little overkill :)

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I was worried that the walnut that I had cut 1/4" thick, moved after I was released from the slab. So, I used 1/4" dowels to pin the 3 pieces into alignment. The picture doesn't show it. Then I've trimmed the flush and sanded flat. I might do that again for the last 2 laminations. Luckily the center flame maple is pretty good, so I'll use that as the template with a pattern router bit from each side. The headstock end to the drop off point I can use the Corian neck profile template I made for Scrap Paul build.

pshupe

Tele-Meister
I've used dowels before and I think they work great. Especially if there are lots of pieces to glue together and you are close to finish depth. Quickly align them and add the clamps.

Cheers Peter.

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I did look into that, but it is cost prohibitive for me right now. I did just glue the other walnut lamination on; I probably have 10 clamps on it. I need to find a way to print the layout full size and make a template for the body outline. I need a refresher course in pdf printing full scale with multiple sheets and match lines.
If I remember, in word use the poster option with 8.5x11 paper with the match line option checked. That call it something else than match lines. Not at a computer now so I can’t check.